Unofficial Preview The New Era - Round 1 v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interested to see if any of the girls get rubbed out tonight. There have been lots of reckless high contact. I reckon if this was reviewed like a men's game the MRP would be rubbing out half a dozen players from each side.

Will be interested to see if any of the girls get rubbed out tonight. There have been lots of reckless high contact. I reckon if this was reviewed like a men's game the MRP would be rubbing out half a dozen players from each side.
I reckon the umpires will cop it for it behind closed doors too, let too much go at the start, pay a few of those early and it'd sort it out. Probably didn't expect it to be as physical as it was.

They get reviewed by the same MRP too i'm pretty sure

Just got home from work and turned TV on.... whats with the score line? Surely wasn't overly exciting to watch?
You'd think that, but thats where your wrong

Really enjoyed the game last night. I can tell already that the game is speeding up and getting slicker from what I saw of the matches between us and the Dogs and Lions last year.

Apparently there is a bit of a rivalry between Vic and Queensland teams (as there generally is a rival with Vic and rest of the country – let's be honest, we're pretty insufferable) and I wonder if that will play out tomorrow. Would be so much more interesting than the manufactured rivalry crap between Carlton and Collingwood. There's barely a rivalry with the men's side anymore.

Really enjoyed the game last night. I can tell already that the game is speeding up and getting slicker from what I saw of the matches between us and the Dogs and Lions last year.

Apparently there is a bit of a rivalry between Vic and Queensland teams (as there generally is a rival with Vic and rest of the country – let's be honest, we're pretty insufferable) and I wonder if that will play out tomorrow. Would be so much more interesting than the manufactured rivalry crap between Carlton and Collingwood. There's barely a rivalry with the men's side anymore.
Was good to watch, wasn't it? TBH I didn't know what to expect - though I support in principle the competition, I hadn't seen enough to be certain it would be very engaging in the early years of the competition. But I really enjoyed it and I can't wait for tomorrow.

The change to 16 a side made the game more open and free flowing.

One of the more enjoyable aspects of the game was the commentary. The main callers were understated, whilst the expect commentators were knowledgeable. A far cry from the crap Ch. 7 AFL commentary and Andy Maher's over the top BS on the WBBL.

I really enjoyed it too. The standard seems to be dramatically improving. I reckon the game last night was a better standard than the all-stars game last year. And what a great atmosphere. It would be nice if the AFL could revisit traditional venues every now and then. Prinny Park looked like it was rocking last night.
You could see the girls were gassed in the second half but that's understandable. The intensity in the first half was amazing. I genuinely thought it was more physical than the men in the first quarter. Overly so. They will need to wind that in or one of the players will end up with a broken neck.

I really enjoyed it too. The standard seems to be dramatically improving. I reckon the game last night was a better standard than the all-stars game last year. And what a great atmosphere. It would be nice if the AFL could revisit traditional venues every now and then. Prinny Park looked like it was rocking last night..
Oh, see I don't know about that. I think it's a romantic notion but as someone who goes to thesre grounds a fair bit with the VFL (and who was there on Friday night) they are just a bit of a pain in the arse really.

Friday night was ludicrous really. I mean it was great that there was a huge crowd and all that, don't get me wrong. However, it was way too packed. Unsafe even, at least where I was standing. I reckon Gil would have had a huge sigh of relief that nothing happened. The aisles were packed with people. If there was a fire or something I shudder to think what would have happened.

Aside from that though, I think the MCG, AAMI, Rod Laver etc (and Etihad I suppose) has softened most people up with regards to comfort levels at sporting grounds. Those places are super easy to get to, get in and out of, move around etc. Lines for drinks and toilets only occur in the huge games and move fairly quickly (best part of being a dees supporter i reckon is that we dont have to endure that). At those old grounds, you can't get a drink, cant take a piss (forget about a #2) and are gonna be standing (in a big game) in the freezing cold without cover all day. Then you have to battle with 30k other people to try and get out of the joint and home somehow. Forget a tram for ages. Forget a cab. There are no trains. So it's pretty much head to the pub while you wait, which are all packed. And if you have kids? I guess you go for a kick or something.

Every now and again, as you say, might work though but I think people looks back with rose-coloured glasses on about the good ole days sometimes with these stadia. Some are better than others though I spose. I like Whitten Oval because it avoids some of those issues i mentioned.

Don't mean to be negative. I just think this stuff when I'm standing there freezing watching Casey v the Northern Blues with 25 other people..

Well done to all those who went to Casey yesterday though. I didn't recognise it on tv with all the people there. Had to look at the trees bending over at 90 degrees in the wind to remember which field it was..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back