Toast The new (& improved) whipping boys

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
I want to put my hand up and say I've been critical of guys like Acres, Aish, Banfield, Colyer, Logue (among others) in the past - the whipping boys we love to hang s**t on; maybe not always on here but certainly muttering under my breath when watching the whole team fail to put a passage of footy together (or even start)

If I had a hat, I'd have eaten it by now. These types of fringe-ish/new recruits/played out of position/oversized/undersized players tend to cop a lot of flak, however, JL has got these types of guys firing and fitting in to a system that works (most of the time). And these types of players are like the guys like Mzungu, DeBoer, Ibbotson, Spurr, Crowley, Dawson etc. that aren't the cream of the crop, but they are needed in any team to complement the best and provide some sort of cover/fill the gaps when the flashy, sometimes lower possession players can't always make their mark

I'm getting ahead of myself and I don't care - none of us care - we look like the real deal and have passed almost every big test that's been thrown at us (okay, wet weather footy, but that's not something easy to simulate) and I am totally here for it <3

Season 5 Ron GIF by Parks and Recreation

Is there a "welcome to Freo" for Nathan Fyfe ? ;)

Is this a confessional?

I have long believed that Brennan Cox was the forward we needed. I think I was wrong. I think it was Griffen Logue all along.

Was so stoked to see Banfield getting amongst it in a big game in front of a home crowd, it can’t be easy to have limited minutes and find some form. It’s probably a factor in why he appears slow to make decisions sometimes.

People bagging Logue was always going to backfire on them.

Acres, many people thought he could be decent if he was settled into a role - you have to give JL the credit here, as well as to Acres for how hard he works on his game. He’s really got a taste for busting packs and tackling hard, I hope people are paying attention. Anyone calling him soft now is an idiot.

Colyer is another who has benefited from JL and his philosophy to let players play to their strengths - Colyers strength is his leg speed and they set the team up and give him a role where he can weaponise it. Nothing better than seeing him getting out the back and turning on the afterburners.

If we tried to use him just roving packs front and centre he would probably be a whipping boy still. He’s also very well spoken, I actually suspect he’s a real leader up forward.

Schultz seemed to take a bit of criticism from people at stages, I’ve never understood why. He’s the sort of player which makes everyone else walk taller, a good mark and a decent goal kicker. I guarantee you his teammates love playing with him, and the coaches love him too. Pure heart.

I would be the shittest coach ever.

I would have burned Bailey, Blake and Travis at the stake by now.

Cox would be playing full forward and Griff would be on a wing.

Andy would have played 0 games for us thus far, because I straight up, wouldn't have drafted him and Caleb would be tearing it up for the Hawks while I pull my hair out, wondering why LDU can't get his hands on the pill and when he does, he turns it over.

I could go on but I'll stop there...wouldn't want to burn up all of my hard-earned AFL credibility in one go.

I’m going to try “ Change my tune June “ and then “ Let it fly July “

Was so stoked to see Banfield getting amongst it in a big game in front of a home crowd, it can’t be easy to have limited minutes and find some form. It’s probably a factor in why he appears slow to make decisions sometimes.

People bagging Logue was always going to backfire on them.

Acres, many people thought he could be decent if he was settled into a role - you have to give JL the credit here, as well as to Acres for how hard he works on his game. He’s really got a taste for busting packs and tackling hard, I hope people are paying attention. Anyone calling him soft now is an idiot.

Colyer is another who has benefited from JL and his philosophy to let players play to their strengths - Colyers strength is his leg speed and they set the team up and give him a role where he can weaponise it. Nothing better than seeing him getting out the back and turning on the afterburners.

If we tried to use him just roving packs front and centre he would probably be a whipping boy still. He’s also very well spoken, I actually suspect he’s a real leader up forward.

Schultz seemed to take a bit of criticism from people at stages, I’ve never understood why. He’s the sort of player which makes everyone else walk taller, a good mark and a decent goal kicker. I guarantee you his teammates love playing with him, and the coaches love him too. Pure heart.
Great post mate ...Loved it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we still whip guys who probably rate 9 out of 10 each match?

If so, Pearce? I mean… anyone with me on this one? Anyone??

Ok I’ll see myself out.

Pearce is 100% a candidate.

He's a wonderful defender and really important for our backline but he makes me nervous every time he kicks.

Not even because he's a terrible user, just because it looks like he's going to do an ankle every time his foot leaves the ground.

WHIP HIM.

I want to put my hand up and say I've been critical of guys like Acres, Aish, Banfield, Colyer, Logue (among others) in the past - the whipping boys we love to hang s**t on; maybe not always on here but certainly muttering under my breath when watching the whole team fail to put a passage of footy together (or even start)
A good thread. I was always an Aish fan. I did a 180 for Acres in the Bulldogs game last year, where he was excellent as a pinch hitter in the ruck. Banfield I think I will always have doubts on, Colyer is important but still frustrates me with his fumbling, and Logue is still in search of a true position, hopefully the forward line is it.

Watch this space tomorrow. I reckon our latest debutant for 2022, Nathanial Foyfe could be in the gun sites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back