The New Magpies 1982-86

Remove this Banner Ad

StylesMedia

Draftee
Jan 1, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who Remembers Collingwood's Troubled Mid-80's when The New Magpies were Formed? Anyway in Late 1982 following a Disasterous Season which saw the Pies fell from Grand Finalists in 1981 to 10th in 1982, media identity Ranald Macdonald pushed forward the campaign of ‘the New Magpies’, a group that wanted to move Collingwood into the modern age of football, and implement one of the most expensive and widespread recruiting campaigns in club history. They've Recruited Port Adelaide Great John Cahill to coach the Club as well as Several Interstate Recruits and took a Line Oh, The Premiership's a Cakewalk out of the Club Theme Song.
The New Magpies Venture was not Successful and In 1986, three and a half years after taking over the presidency, Macdonald resigned, leaving the club on the brink of bankruptcy and extinction. The club was in debt to almost $3 million, the general manager Peter Bahen was sacked, and players were asked to take a 20 per cent pay cut.
Allan McAlister took charge of the presidency after Macdonald’s resignation and helped steer the club back to good health.
Following McAlister's takeover, Leigh Matthews became Collingwood's Head Coach which saw them end that Famous Premiership Drought Four Years Later,

Darkest before the dawn, of all flags that 1st AFL flag is the mustard!

The bad
- the new Magpies emblem, a monstrosity.
- Ranald McDonald ( if that WAS his real name )
- complete financial incompetence

The good
- John Cahill did a great job
- some of the recruiting was excellent, leading up to the 1984 season being brilliant to watch

Who Remembers Collingwood's Troubled Mid-80's when The New Magpies were Formed? Anyway in Late 1982 following a Disasterous Season which saw the Pies fell from Grand Finalists in 1981 to 10th in 1982, media identity Ranald Macdonald pushed forward the campaign of ‘the New Magpies’, a group that wanted to move Collingwood into the modern age of football, and implement one of the most expensive and widespread recruiting campaigns in club history. They've Recruited Port Adelaide Great John Cahill to coach the Club as well as Several Interstate Recruits and took a Line Oh, The Premiership's a Cakewalk out of the Club Theme Song.
The New Magpies Venture was not Successful and In 1986, three and a half years after taking over the presidency, Macdonald resigned, leaving the club on the brink of bankruptcy and extinction. The club was in debt to almost $3 million, the general manager Peter Bahen was sacked, and players were asked to take a 20 per cent pay cut.
Allan McAlister took charge of the presidency after Macdonald’s resignation and helped steer the club back to good health.
Following McAlister's takeover, Leigh Matthews became Collingwood's Head Coach which saw them end that Famous Premiership Drought Four Years Later,

I was a kid, but I love the pies so much back then. I cried a lot when we lost.

It’s amazing how quickly things can turn around! The importance of a strong board/administration can’t be underestimated.

How was the recruiting: Mike Richardson, Gary Shaw, David Cloke, Geoff Raines, Bruce Abernathy, Graeme Teasdale. Who have I forgotten?

No wonder we went broke.

Last edited:
The bad

The good
- some of the recruiting was excellent, leading up to the 1984 season being brilliant to watch
I can confirm that Ranald McDonald’s name was real.

The bad

The good
84 was alright right up to the preliminary final then it went to hell,probably 1 of the worse days ever for a Pies fan,I remember it like it was yesterday.

You are right Cahill was a fine coach that season but he left at the end of that season and Raines and Richardson soon after to those B-------who beat us in that prelim,we may laugh at David Bloke but he was a fine player for us for many seasons and he did not bugger off when it tough so full respect to him for that all 3 of his boys started here.

Cloke was a very good recruit for us and I thought Bruce Abernathy was a bloke who tried hard but thank god all those boys who won the under 18,s flag came through and got us the holy grail in 90,best day ever to be a Pies fan.

I went to their rally at Dallas Brooks Hall. The place was packed and we heard all the promises about a new level of professionalism being installed after the Hafey sacking.
We’d just lost 4 Grand Finals in 5 years and were ready and ripe for a change. There was anger about being so close so many times.
We spent heaps on big name recruits but lost just as many stars like Moore, Kink & Walsh for ultimately little reward.
Hired the best from S.A in John Cahill as coach - a bold move. He was ok, but didn’t hang around long.
The team were disjointed with so many changes. In the end they even got Bob Rose back to coach us as the wheels began slowly falling off.
In the end we almost went bust and missed finals in 83, 85, 86, 87. Only making it in 84 under Cahill.
A tumultuous time squeezed between the Hafey and Matthews eras.

1578030556320.jpeg

Last edited:
I can confirm that Ranald McDonald’s name was real.
McDonald at least was a Pies fan and if I remember rightly was the managing director of the age at that time but thank god Graham MaCallister took over him from and he was a fine president just a pity he had opened his mouth about Nicky Winmar but it should be remembered that we tried to recruit Winmar when he was in charged still and Winmar would have been great at Collingwood I have no doubt of that.

I think MaCallister was just from another age that was his biggest problem it was just ingrained into some people from that era but thankfully we try and we succeed in being a different club today.

I went to their rally at Dallas Brooks Hall. The place was packed and we heard all the promises about a new level of professionalism being installed after the Hafey sacking.
We’d just lost 4 Grand Finals in 5 years and were ready and ripe for a change. There was anger about being so close so many times.
We spent heaps on big name recruits but lost just as many stars like Moore, Kink & Walsh for ultimately little reward.
Hired the best from S.A in John Cahill as coach - a bold move. He was ok, but didn’t hang around long.
The team were disjointed with so many changes. In the end they even got Bob Rose back to coach us as the wheels began slowly falling off.
In the end we almost went bust and missed finals in 83, 85, 86, 87. Only making it in 84 under Cahill.
A tumultuous time squeezed between the Hafey and Matthews eras.
To be honest I think I would have preferred missing in 84 as well.
View attachment 801050

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stayed till the end of the 84 preliminary final. The wins over Fitzroy and Carlton were fantastic.
And yes, David Bloke played exceptionally well, mainly in the ruck.

Remenber it all too well - inc their initial? meeting in the Masonic Hall.
They wanted to get John Kennedy as coach but stuffed it and then went for Cahill.
Macdonald (he or his wife related to the Queen?) asked the Queen to be no 1 member - she duly declined!
Macdonald got Bahen from the Australian ballet - before quitting Bahen commented that running Cwood was "like being the mayor of Beirut".
Pies do drama well!
Edit: they had John Bertrand on their ticket at one point but don't think he ever sat on the committee /Board.
I actually door knocked in inner east suburbs to canvas votes for them - got a couple of hostile reactions and got disillusioned pretty quickly.
At one stage they talked about creating a "Disneyland" and having a Swiss /French restaurant....
The social club was like the wild west on match days - getting a couple of dim sims was a trial - not sure how a French restaurant would have gone :)

Last edited:
John Annear?
Think Annear started with us and went to Richmond with Phil Walsh, Craig Stewart, Neil Peart and Wally Lovett during the 'pies/tiger recruiting wars. Could easily be wrong though.

Walsh had just won best 1st year player and was poached. (In response to Cloke and Raines to be fair.)

Peter Moore was a massive loss but he allegedly led the player upheaval against Hafey. Kink left. But did at Essendon what he did at Collingwood: failed in GF's. No loss.

Teasdale was the big letdown I reckon. Brownlow medalist and was cooked when he arrived. Gary Shaw on heaps at the time failed to produce. Abernethy and Cloke were very good for the 'pies. Raines and Richardson were talented mercenaries.

Think Annear started with us and went to Richmond with Phil Walsh, Craig Stewart, Neil Peart and Wally Lovett during the 'pies/tiger recruiting wars. Could easily be wrong though.

Walsh had just won best 1st year player and was poached. (In response to Cloke and Raines to be fair.)

Peter Moore was a massive loss but he allegedly led the player upheaval against Hafey. Kink left. But did at Essendon what he did at Collingwood: failed in GF's. No loss.

Teasdale was the big letdown I reckon. Brownlow medalist and was cooked when he arrived. Gary Shaw on heaps at the time failed to produce. Abernethy and Cloke were very good for the 'pies. Raines and Richardson were talented mercenaries.
Greg Phillips?

The bad

The good
Until Essendon flogged us in the PF.

I actually wrote to John Cahill about the way Phillips used handball - can you believe I didn't get a response :)
Phillips had huge thighs and wasn't too speedy.
No he wasn't speedy but could certainly handball. I knew the groundsman down there in the the mid-80's. He (the groundsman) is a terrific bloke and gave me some rare insights into the place under Cahill. As a 16-17 year old naive kid it was eye-opening. The boys loved a beer! LOVED a beer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back