Rules The new man on the mark rule is utterly ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a question.

If two defenders get the player who marks.

Who stands the mark?

If both run away from the kicker it’s a 50?
Yes and it invokes the power goal rule which is worth the combined points of the 2 jumper numbers. Also each player is suspended for 3 weeks.

oops sorry that’s next years version

I’m confused.

Ive seen a few 50s where the defender has run away from the ball.
I assume whatever ones you talking about involved the man on mark has been told to stand and then moves away from the player with the kick. The whole reason why the umpire says "stand" is so the man on mark is clear from that moment until the player kicks the ball he is not allowed to move laterally in *any* direction, if the umpire says "play on" he is able to move wherever he likes again.

I assume whatever ones you talking about involved the man on mark has been told to stand and then moves away from the player with the kick. The whole reason why the umpire says "stand" is so the man on mark is clear from that moment until the player kicks the ball he is not allowed to move laterally in *any* direction, if the umpire says "play on" he is able to move wherever he likes again.

and if they chose not to man the Mark they must be 5m behind it so they are not in the protected zone. (Which is another rule that is enforced at random)

Too simple to say this rule is the only reason why (but it is A reason), but we had two games today that would have been in the top 5 home and away games of all of 2020 in terms of excitement, skillful footy, and watchability. And it's the first Saturday of the season!

Too simple to say this rule is the only reason why (but it is A reason), but we had two games today that would have been in the top 5 home and away games of all of 2020 in terms of excitement, skillful footy, and watchability. And it's the first Saturday of the season!

So what? Even with unchanged rules we would've had better games than the ones we had in 2020.

Remember that the speed and watchability of the game was very good in 2019. But games were shortened to 16 minute quarters in 2020 for covid - yet the interchange cap remained at 90. With shortened quarters, the ratio between the time the players spent resting on the bench vs. the time they spent on the ground meant that teams were able to turn last season's games into the congested nightmares that we had 10 years ago.

Now that the quarters are back to 20 minute periods, that alone would've made the games much better to watch even without cutting the interchange cap down (which I'm fine with them doing by the way).

I bet those geniuses at AFL HQ are patting themselves on the back for speeding the game up because they're comparing this year's games to 2020. But last year's games shouldn't be used as a reference point for the state of the game. It should be compared to 2019 when quarters were last played at 20 minutes . And the speed and watchability of the game was pretty good back then.

The two games I've watched this week have been good on the whole but I personally wouldn't say this was an improvement on 2019.

Last season was such shit footy that I cannot recall any game I want to watch again from last season.
Quarters that go for half an hour over average is a game of footy. Last season was just too short to take seriously in the end.
Players also feed off the energy of a crowd around them. There are so many variables involved.
So far this season is a slight step in right direction but there still a lot wrong that stops it being it as good as it can be.
I watched more footy this weekend than I can recall doing in any round last year.

If Keath never took possession then explain how the ball went from being clasped between his big mitts 1 foot above his head like he’d just taken a mark to disappearing from view down in front of chest. Watch it again. He was in complete control of it and then dropped it like a hot potato ‘cos he knew he was about to be tackled.

The ball didn’t bounce off his hands. There was no fumble. He grabbed it cleanly and then dropped it.

Should’ve been incorrect disposal / holding the ball

Poor umpiring

#FreeKickWesternBulldogs
Here's another one that might be easier to interpret...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t like th e rule, takes the defensive and attacking tension out of the game, the afl might as well ask defending players to lay down to Increase scoring. Utterly pathetic. It’s turning into ping pong,
You mean it's turning into what footy was for 150 years? Forward pressing and repeat 50s are ****ing boring.

Grrr Topkent

How's those low scores going lads? You've gone a bit quiet after yesterday's games

Starting to see how much of an affect the rule is having. 4 overs 2 unders so far in Round 1.

Tex:

Most touches since R17 2019 (Suns :drunk:)
Most marks since R17 2019 (Suns :drunk:)
Most kicks since Round 13 2019
Most goals since Round 23 2019

All against one of the best defences/teams in the comp

Sydney biggest score at the Gabba ever. Biggest score since Round 12, 2018.

Melbourne Freo was low scoring. I watched the game and it was still open. Inside 50s still high (61-57). Both teams just couldn't score (efficiency 48-40%)

I don’t like th e rule, takes the defensive and attacking tension out of the game, the afl might as well ask defending players to lay down to Increase scoring. Utterly pathetic. It’s turning into ping pong,
There's still defenders trying to stop forwards in every game. Nothing has changed for defenders expect more inside 50 entries. They still have to defend like normal. Your comment makes no sense

Last night's game proved how the umpires can use it to manipulate a game. Essendon player gets the mark, and may as well have gone to take a leak in the rooms hed moved so far off the line. No play on call, and even the player knew it was play on. Gets caught, and then the umpire pays 50.

Last night's game proved how the umpires can use it to manipulate a game. Essendon player gets the mark, and may as well have gone to take a leak in the rooms hed moved so far off the line. No play on call, and even the player knew it was play on. Gets caught, and then the umpire pays 50.
Shooting for goal is still a grey area. Needs to be called play on if the kicker moves from the line. This is only an issue when a player is lining up from 40+

The low point for me was watching a Saturday night game at Geelong a few years ago. I was at the city end of the ground and the ball with 30 payers was camped down the other end for 5-6 minutes in a rugby scrum.

I thought - I can’t my watch this anymore.

We seem to have at least lost that form of congestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The low point for me was watching a Saturday night game at Geelong a few years ago. I was at the city end of the ground and the ball with 30 payers was camped down the other end for 5-6 minutes in a rugby scrum.

I thought - I can’t my watch this anymore.

We seem to have at least lost that form of congestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, and now the AFL have actually done it with making a reasonably minor rule change in the grand scheme of things people are still complaining. I wonder if people who hate this rule are also the same people who hated all the increasing congestion of the last decade?

You people have the memories of a goldfish, round 1 games are always one of the highest scoring rounds every year and it sucks people into raving how great it is, then the defences and team tactics find their groove from about round 4 and scoring drops, then the people who were wetting themselves with excitement over round 1 all of a sudden are throwing the toys out of the cot because games are too defensive.

This year will be no different.

Grrr Topkent

How's those low scores going lads? You've gone a bit quiet after yesterday's games

Starting to see how much of an affect the rule is having. 4 overs 2 unders so far in Round 1.

Tex:

Most touches since R17 2019 (Suns :drunk:)
Most marks since R17 2019 (Suns :drunk:)
Most kicks since Round 13 2019
Most goals since Round 23 2019

All against one of the best defences/teams in the comp

Sydney biggest score at the Gabba ever. Biggest score since Round 12, 2018.

Melbourne Freo was low scoring. I watched the game and it was still open. Inside 50s still high (61-57). Both teams just couldn't score (efficiency 48-40%)

The biggest change seems to be teams leaving big fowards in the forward 50. Now that players can play on 'rolling' off the mark it opens up 15 degrees both side of the mark to kick low passes or to gain another 5-10 meters and lick long.

With better kicking options coaches worked out they better have someone to kick to in the forwaed lines. More 1 on 1 inside 50.

All that needs changing is the man standing. Call hold, a player can jump up and down within a 1m radius. So jumping and small half steps are fine but that is it. Move two steps off the mark THEN its 50.

At least then the defender isnt a impotent statue and can actual show some intent whilst defending the mark.

You people have the memories of a goldfish, round 1 games are always one of the highest scoring rounds every year and it sucks people into raving how great it is, then the defences and team tactics find their groove from about round 4 and scoring drops, then the people who were wetting themselves with excitement over round 1 all of a sudden are throwing the toys out of the cot because games are too defensive.

This year will be no different.

Hence these comparisons between round 1s......

1616289087876.png

No doubt things will trend back but the comparisons between recent year round 1s are very promising and particularly in key metrics (eg stoppages and tackles considerable down)

Even things like I50s, we don't have publically available numbers for "repeat entries" versus rebound 50s to inside 50s

You like the tension of 10 defenders v 8 forwards with both teams in one half.

You have no interest watching the defensive tension of 6 on 6 and at times pure 1 on 1 defensive scenarios?

There is nothing better than watching the best KP players play 1 on 1, player v player. Team defense is great but so is oneon one and its something the game was losing.

I am just going to say that you have to go back a long long long way to find a game involving the Swans where over 215 points are scored in the match.

Had last years rules been in place I am certain it would not have been such a high scoring game and there would have been a lot more stoppages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back