Rules The new man on the mark rule is utterly ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is utter garbage, one of the worst changes to the game ever made. Has to be scrapped before season proper.

The issue is the umpires aren't calling play on...oh, and it's a stupid rule.

There is literally no point standing the mark. If you do, your team is 1 short.

If umpires stood behind the mark and called play on it might work on occasions.

Daniher plays on as soon as he starts to jog.

But the changes in the way the game is played that we have witnessed over the past 20 years must be unprecedented. For the average score in a game to fall by two goals in a few years is alarming. Something has to give. If the AFL didn’t do anything we’d be complaining
If the AFL didn't do anything, maybe the scores wouldn't be so low.

Which rules were introduced on the back of data it would increase scoring?

Do we want basketball or do we want football?

the poor player on the mark who cant do anything to stop it from happening
If you do, your team is 1 short.

This is kind of the point though, it makes it harder for the team defending, easier for the team attacking.

What if it's automatically play on as soon as the player with the ball moves, then we all know where we stand.

I'd be in favour of this. Again, no grey in it. You move, you're in play, with some exceptions when you're kicking from OOB for example.

But the changes in the way the game is played that we have witnessed over the past 20 years must be unprecedented. For the average score in a game to fall by two goals in a few years is alarming. Something has to give. If the AFL didn’t do anything we’d be complaining

I am not arguing they shouldn't do anything, I am saying that since Gil came along they have just reacted without thinking things through - because Gill goes to water whenever any stakeholder puts pressure on him.

As long as my team keeps winning I couldn’t care less about the amount of scoring. Coaches coach to win. Their jobs and livelihoods depend on it. Defence is what wins you games so coaches take that path. No amount of rule changes will change that as the coaches will continue to outsmart the AFL.
The worse rules the AFL changed, were the rules around the ruck (nomination 3rd man up) and the adjudication of the holding the ball and incorrect disposal.

This one - among heaps I know - I never understood why a change was needed. If you have an extra player go up in the ruck, then the other side has an extra player on the ground.

This one - among heaps I know - I never understood why a change was needed. If you have an extra player go up in the ruck, then the other side has an extra player on the ground.

I think the (stated anyway) point was to bring Ruckmen back in to the game, as teams were able to use taller players like Bontempelli or Blicavs to take a Gawn out of the game.

I'd rather, as someone else here posted, they just say two players can contest the ruck, no nomination needed, if three go up then you get a free paid against. Let the players work it out and make it easy for the umpires to keep the game moving.

Wait till they bring in the last kick out of bounds rule in next year.
There be no Covid restrictions to hide dwindling numbers next year and beyond if Hocking continues to destroy our game.
I barely watch any neutral AFL games start to finish anymore, because they're boring. This makes it worse, I won't be watching much footy outside of Tiger games this year beyond the odd channel surf when I'm at home.

I watch a lot more neutral games of NRL, because at least they are making sensible changes and improving their product year on year rather than the rules committee destroying the game with nonsense.

I'll watch and support every Richmond game avidly, but AFL games on the whole don't interest me at all anymore.

Just got a text from a mate saying Saad spent the weekend's trial getting an extra 25-30 metres after each mark when running past a stationary player

Gonna be the gift that keeps on giving
There'll be a bunch of Jayden Short types at each team just waltzing past defenseless teams and making 80m plays with every mark.

I'm more concerned with the uselessness of the player on the mark now, and the amount of crap 50s that will be hugely significant in the end result. This s**t changes momentum and can grossly influence games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got a text from a mate saying Saad spent the weekend's trial getting an extra 25-30 metres after each mark when running past a stationary player

Gonna be the gift that keeps on giving
He did this once yes. Took about two steps back from the man on the mark pointed to the man on the mark while looking at the umpire, who I assume confirmed that - yes he was locked there, and then sprinted past him for about 10m and kicked downfield.

For anyone who didn't see the abhorrent decision against Curnow in the Carlton game, you can see it from about 3.30 into the below. Curnow stops about 5m short of where the mark should be, still gets called for not standing. Unclear whether this is an error from the Umpire or if this is an AFL directive to avoid teams trying to flaunt the rule by going back off the mark.

For anyone who didn't see the abhorrent decision against Curnow in the Carlton game, you can see it from about 3.30 into the below. Curnow stops about 5m short of where the mark should be, still gets called for not standing. Unclear whether this is an error from the Umpire or if this is an AFL directive to avoid teams trying to flaunt the rule by going back off the mark.

Looking at the below, perhaps the intention of 20.1.1 (b) is that the umpire can deem a player as standing on The Mark even if the player is standing behind the location of the mark?

11303a881c.png

Looking at the below, perhaps the intention of 20.1.1 (b) is that the umpire can deem a player as standing on The Mark even if the player is standing behind the location of the mark?

11303a881c.png
If so then it highlights the ludicrousness of the rule. AFL should * off

Seems like a built in protection so that the AFL can point to any decision the Umpire makes and say, well the Umpire marked him as on the mark there, so his decision was correct. Basically a - whatever the umpire says goes - rule.

Last edited:

Yeh thats s**t

going to be some frustrating watching this season. All these minor things being paid 50

But the Umpire won't listen to you. It happened to Ed Curnow in the Carlton game the other day. Essendon player takes a mark on the boundary at the intersection of the 50m arc. Takes about two steps back of his mark. Ed Curnow stops about 8m short of the 50m line (i.e about 10m from the player and 8m short of the spot where the mark was taken) and starts doing the flailing arms, side to side that players would ordinarily do. Umpire call's 50m immediately. Curnow throws his hands up ointing to the mark and the Umpire has NOTHING of it. Advance, penalised for daring to flaunt the AFL's agenda.
thats a terrible example. that would be a problem for anything related to the umpire not knowing where the mark is, its not specific to this rule.

Yeh thats sh*t

going to be some frustrating watching this season. All these minor things being paid 50

Wait.. Can the player on the mark jump with his hands up to smother the ball at all?
e.g.. when a player is on the mark when someone is lining up for goal insider 50m allowed to jump to smother? or does he just has to stand their? Pretty stupid if no.. makes the whole process redundant.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back