Rules The new man on the mark rule is utterly ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

North, Hawks and Geelong ruining it for the rest of us.
North are providing plenty for their opponents

We just don't have a decent forward that we can kick to so we shut games down to give ourselves a chance. Also shows that it can be done despite the new rules

Geelong have enough decent players that they should be more aggressive

Last edited:
i still dont like it.
I think id like it more if it didnt apply within 60 meters of goal.
The new goal kicking with the bloke standing still on the mark looks shocking while the kicker gains an extra 5 or so meters running around the mark

Yeah all this and scoring (for now) is only up by 5 points per team. Including the additional goals from these 50m penalties.

Also why is that it has to be a 50m penalty? Yet multiple times players kick the ball away, wasting time which has a much worse effect on congestion, yet that rarely gets paid.

Secondly why does have to be stand? Why can't it be one or two steps to the either side?

Yeah all this and scoring (for now) is only up by 5 points per team. Including the additional goals from these 50m penalties.

Also why is that it has to be a 50m penalty? Yet multiple times players kick the ball away, wasting time which has a much worse effect on congestion, yet that rarely gets paid.

Secondly why does have to be stand? Why can't it be one or two steps to the either side?
Could’ve just gotten rid of the protected area around the mark and allow them to be blocked. The Hawks were doing this and the AFL didn’t like it so they banned it, now 5 years later apparently they do like the mark being unable to move.

Too much focus on scoring imo. I've seen it mentioned many times on these boards (and I agree) that high scoring doesn't necessarily mean a good game.

It's much harder to quantify, but it's the way the game is being played that has improved this year. Not sure if they exist, but I'd be keen to see stats on things like repeat stoppages, long kicks down the line to a contest, stoppages with all/almost all the players on the ground within a small area etc. Basically, all the things that have negated free flowing footy of recent times - seems to me that there has been less of this stuff this year, with more fast, end to end stuff.

Too much focus on scoring imo. I've seen it mentioned many times on these boards (and I agree) that high scoring doesn't necessarily mean a good game.

It's much harder to quantify, but it's the way the game is being played that has improved this year. Not sure if they exist, but I'd be keen to see stats on things like repeat stoppages, long kicks down the line to a contest, stoppages with all/almost all the players on the ground within a small area etc. Basically, all the things that have negated free flowing footy of recent times - seems to me that there has been less of this stuff this year, with more fast, end to end stuff.

It may have nothing to do with the stand on the mark.

Coaches worked out that in order to beat Richmond you need to move the ball quicker before their zone sets up. This is easier said than done. None the less this is how the ball is been moved because of it.

You could move the ball quicker before too by playing on after a mark.

It may have nothing to do with the stand on the mark.

Coaches worked out that in order to beat Richmond you need to move the ball quicker before their zone sets up. This is easier said than done. None the less this is how the ball is been moved because of it.

You could move the ball quicker before too by playing on after a mark.

Could also be that the stand rule takes a player out of the defensive zone, giving more opportunities to create movement and space for offensive play.

The umpires need to start making accurate calls on the distance a ball has travelled before paying a mark, I'm in favour of a kick needing to travel 15 or 20 meters.
Overall the new rule has made some improvements but shitty little chip kicks with no contest are as boring to watch as players playing stacks on at every contest, imo.

The umpires need to start making accurate calls on the distance a ball has travelled before paying a mark, I'm in favour of a kick needing to travel 15 or 20 meters.
Overall the new rule has made some improvements but shitty little chip kicks with no contest are as boring to watch as players playing stacks on at every contest, imo.

Are you only mentioning that point because your coach happened to bring it up today?

Are you only mentioning that point because your coach happened to bring it up today?
No, not everything is about the Swans, you beat us fair and square, too good on the night, it was actually your clubs ability to force the turnover that really hurt us.

It's noticeable that uncontested marks have gone through the roof, that is not a good look for the game in my opinion, some of the short passing is well under the required distance, the umps seem to be letting it go more than in the past.

It's a combination of the 666 rule, less rotations, the inability of defenders to even breath near a forward without giving a free away and the stand rule, of course it's 3 games in and if history has taught us anything it's not to judge things too quickly.
The return to full length quarters will be affecting some teams more than others as well, over the season that should balance out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Devon Smith decision tonight was just stupid. Imagine if it costs your team a grand final. What a joke.

Could also be that the stand rule takes a player out of the defensive zone, giving more opportunities to create movement and space for offensive play.

That's right.

1) it was the intention of the rule
2) it intuitively makes sense why the rule would have that effect
3) it clearly seems like the rule is working to that intent
4) I've not heard one current or recent coach (inc assistants) suggest the rule has not had that effect

And, in terms of what you responded to, it could just be that Bigfooty's chief Muppet know-it-all is making a fool of himself again

That's right.

1) it was the intention of the rule
2) it intuitively makes sense why the rule would have that effect
3) it clearly seems like the rule is working to that intent
4) I've not heard one current or recent coach (inc assistants) suggest the rule has not had that effect

And, in terms of what you responded to, it could just be that Bigfooty's chief Muppet know-it-all is making a fool of himself again

Stop crying.

Nobody wants to defend the Devon Smith decision last night. I wonder why.

Why didn't the umpire call play on immediately on Hickey?

Do you have footage of this? By the sounds of your description it was simply an umpiring error. The rule itself is working exactly as planned and is resulting in much more attractive football.

Thought it was a poor decision

Should just scrap it based on 1 poor decision last night. Probably should also scrap the HTB/incorrect disposal rule after the poor decision in Geelong

Do you have footage of this? By the sounds of your description it was simply an umpiring error. The rule itself is working exactly as planned and is resulting in much more attractive football.
If you like a basketball style game I guess it looks better, they need to address the amount of uncontested marks etc. At the moment it's gone a little too far, contested football is what the games all about, a good tackle/turnover is as good as a good goal.

They need to address the incorrect disposal rule to balance out the amount of uncontested football, imo.

If you like a basketball style game I guess it looks better, they need to address the amount of uncontested marks etc. At the moment it's gone a little too far, contested football is what the games all about, a good tackle/turnover is as good as a good goal.

They need to address the incorrect disposal rule to balance out the amount of uncontested football, imo.

It's more of a soccer vibe in some games. Heaps of relatively uncontested possession, with not much scoring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back