The new North - above and beyond the JB years

Remove this Banner Ad

I was extremely impressed to actually hear Ben Buckley speak at the Syd Barker on Friday night.

I get the feeling that we're moving into a more professional and ruthless era that will see us develop into a club that can sustain long term success.

I feel we have someone in charge at board level now that's prepared to take on challenges JB wasn't equipped to deal with.

I'm forever grateful to JB for the role he played in fighting off the relocators and securing our future in Melbourne.

We've come along way since the dark days of 2007 and I feel under the Buckley/Funky Carl duo we are going to develop and never be some cash strapped rabble ever again.

Being in the position to offer mega deals (even if unsuccessful) to two of the top five players in the competition would have been something unthinkable for us to have done three years ago and being in that position is something to be applauded. It will pay off eventually.

I get the feeling Brad has been given some different riding instructions this year and he's had the shackles loosened to allow him to be a bit more ruthless.

We're no longer fighting for our existence, we're consolidating and building.

I'm strapped in and looking forward to the ride!

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

Can I ask for more specific words or actions that give rise to this confidence? Not disputing it, just curious as to what, specifically, the 'vibe' is based on.

To be fair to Brayshaw. He actually took us from rabble on deaths door to sustainable and proffesional club.

He saved our club from a literal death sentence on the GC.

He got rid of the terrible "The Kangaroos" rebrand.

He got our debt from crippling to manageable without pokies revenue.

He oversaw the redevelopment of Arden Street.

He helped carve a niche of support in Tasmania.

He oversaw our media team transfer from nonexistent to exceptional.

He oversaw a footy department that made finals several times and even two prelims.

As for recruitment prowess, we head hunted Higgins and got him. Elite talent via free agency.

I could go on and on, but Most impressive of all is he saw our membership grow from the mid twenties to 45k.

Buckley is saying all the right thins but please let's not forget too quickly what JB did for our footy club.

They have some work in front of them if they are going to better JBs stint at the top...

The club as a whole needs to be aggressive imo. Aggressive coaching, player management, coaching management, free agency and list management.

We have a pretty good nucleus to do something in the coming 5 years, we just need to make sure we keep building the list..

Next year will be the challenge. This year was always going to be borderline and a tough injury run ensured it. Next year is where we show whether we are settling in for the long haul at the bottom or there's enough talent there that adding 3-4 good players will put us right back in the mix. Delicately poised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep Funky CArl alluded to as much in article recently. we weren't trying to win anything, just survive. Strap one on and head into next year full of confidence peeps, shits gunna get exciting.
Does Arnie share your optimism? :stern look

Remove this Banner Ad

Back