Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I don't understand it at all, makes perfect sense to have ferry's.

Just about everywhere reachable by ferry would be quicker and more efficient by bus or train. Plus we already own the buses and trains, since most games will be on a weekend it is just using buses that would otherwise be sitting idle in the depot during non-peak times. There aren't spare ferries AFAIK. So having ferry services for the stadium would mean building new vessels that would probably sit idle for the rest of the week.

Noctorniquet

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers, Perth Wildcats
Can see the "Halo" effect of the roof starting to take shape, will look great at night when it's illuminated.
The cladding reflects well off the dusk sun as well in that shot.

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 7.40.43 pm.png

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
buses are great until there is a traffic accident that clogs up the roads.
trains better as harder to cause a shutdown of a track - but a 'police incident' will do the trick.
ferries - eh, just go around, river is wider.
so buy some cataraman ferries like Brisbane has.... and mid week, like, use them!

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it's great that they're encouraging more people to use public transport or walk to attend the game. Not that they probably had any other option with the location of the stadium.

I've seen some people moaning on facebook about how its 'too far to walk' and 'no where to park'. It's only like a 20 min walk from the CBD and we have one of the most beautiful rivers that runs through a city in Australia. Enjoy the outdoors people, get off your fat arse and make an afternoon out of it. It's gonna be great!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
buses are great until there is a traffic accident that clogs up the roads.
trains better as harder to cause a shutdown of a track - but a 'police incident' will do the trick.
ferries - eh, just go around, river is wider.
so buy some cataraman ferries like Brisbane has.... and mid week, like, use them!

Paul Little & Murray Rance have a couple of ferries on Port Phillip Bay but not many passengers:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e/news-story/a3cba9af5b766e79c8464ec1075121c3

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I think it's great that they're encouraging more people to use public transport or walk to attend the game. Not that they probably had any other option with the location of the stadium.

I've seen some people moaning on facebook about how its 'too far to walk' and 'no where to park'. It's only like a 20 min walk from the CBD and we have one of the most beautiful rivers that runs through a city in Australia. Enjoy the outdoors people, get off your fat arse and make an afternoon out of it. It's gonna be great!

That's fine unless you've got kids and/or it's 10 degrees and pissing down.

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's fine unless you've got kids and/or it's 10 degrees and pissing down.
They've said from the outset they wanted to change the culture around public transport with this stadium.

I didn't grow up here, but where I'm from walking twenty minutes in the snow/rain to a tram as an 8-10 year old alone was just a given and I never bat an eyelid. Or to do the same time by bike over a longer distance just to get some milk for the house. I just did it, nothing special or better. It's just way it was.

However just think it's a right shame that such a quick walk can be seen as a negative in this city, and then further backed up by the 200 odd likes a comment on FB would receive. Basically I'm saying, being lazy is flat out encouraged here and there's such a huge demand for convience that can never be fufilled due to how big Perth is(cue the whinging about how the government doesn't do their jobs properly).

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just about everywhere reachable by ferry would be quicker and more efficient by bus or train. Plus we already own the buses and trains, since most games will be on a weekend it is just using buses that would otherwise be sitting idle in the depot during non-peak times. There aren't spare ferries AFAIK. So having ferry services for the stadium would mean building new vessels that would probably sit idle for the rest of the week.

What the heck. The government's spent $1.6 billion and you don't want to complete the extravaganza by supplying a few extra ferries - shame. If we wanted economics it would've been done differently.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
They've said from the outset they wanted to change the culture around public transport with this stadium.

I didn't grow up here, but where I'm from walking twenty minutes in the snow/rain to a tram as an 8-10 year old alone was just a given and I never bat an eyelid. Or to do the same time by bike over a longer distance just to get some milk for the house. I just did it, nothing special or better. It's just way it was.

However just think it's a right shame that such a quick walk can be seen as a negative in this city, and then further backed up by the 200 odd likes a comment on FB would receive. Basically I'm saying, being lazy is flat out encouraged here and there's such a huge demand for convience that can never be fufilled due to how big Perth is(cue the whinging about how the government doesn't do their jobs properly).

You're probably right, but that doesn't actually change anything. Build a shopping centre and make it hard to get to and people will go somewhere else. It's the same principle with stadiums - and it's true now moreso than ever. Make it difficult to attend, especially when the weather sucks, and people will either stay home and watch the game on TV, or worse (for football) go to a movie or something like that.

People today couldn't give a s**t what you had to go through as a kid. It's not actually going to change their decision making process.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
You're probably right, but that doesn't actually change anything. Build a shopping centre and make it hard to get to and people will go somewhere else. It's the same principle with stadiums - and it's true now moreso than ever. Make it difficult to attend, especially when the weather sucks, and people will either stay home and watch the game on TV, or worse (for football) go to a movie or something like that.

People today couldn't give a s**t what you had to go through as a kid. It's not actually going to change their decision making process.

They somewhat did similar with Adelaide Oval with massive encouragement to use PT, and for the trains it worked too well, with quite a few teething problems with everyone wanting to go to/from the game by train.

lukeilllich

Draftee
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
If you think this stadium is hard to get to, you need your head checked. It has a massive purpose-built train station, buses and connections to CBD parking space. Any talk of parking space near the stadium itself is extremely stupid. Only in Perth do people expect to be able to drive to a massive 40,000+ person event and park nearby. How do you expect this to happen on a Friday night? In every real city in the world people catch public transport. And yes, children are capable of walking a couple of km and catching a bus or a train. Also - Umbrellas. The only other option is building a stadium in a horrible, soulless location a million miles from the city centre with no other decent social amenities just so bogans can avoid public transport. Can you even imagine what a car park for 20,000 cars looks like? Because Waverley and Football Park worked out so well in the end... Surely the MCG and Adelaide Oval are more worthy exemplars. Catch a bloody train, take a walk, buy a raincoat, get a bite to eat, some decent coffee and a beer while your at it. Dream bigger.

Last edited:
Back