Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

So AFL is getting screwed ?
No the AFL arent missing out on any $$. The tenant clubs are. Part of the clubs getting a better stadium deal from Docklands owners was that more games had to be played there. So the MCG home clubs have to play 1 or 2 home games at Docklands to get to 45 games. So the AFL kept their deal Samuel's negotiated and extra clubs got screwed.

You've done the nubers so look at the stadium yield, gate receipts, corporate inventory sold etc over the last 16 years between the 2 clubs.
And then when after the 2004 season and the ridiculous MCG home prelim final bullshit the AFL signed up to in 1992 and aLions were forced to play a home PF at the G,, Eddie got the AFL out of the s**t by working a new deal with the MCC and AFL that allowed if 2 non Vic sides won the QF's then the 2 PF's wouldn't need to be played at the MCG, he was able to get a better deal for the Pies that Essendon couldn't compete with.

Too true, Eddie got the AFL out of the s**t :thumbsu:

No the AFL arent missing out on any $$. The tenant clubs are. Part of the clubs getting a better stadium deal from Docklands owners was that more games had to be played there. So the MCG home clubs have to play 1 or 2 home games at Docklands to get to 45 games. So the AFL kept their deal Samuel's negotiated and extra clubs got screwed.

Sorry, I meant w.r.t. the new stadium.

THE LONG-RUNNING debate about whether footy or cricket will get to open the new Perth Stadium could be about to fall in the AFL's favour.

While cricket officials remain hopeful of hosting an Ashes Test match at the venue in late 2017, West Australian sports minister Mia Davies has conceded it's unlikely the stadium will be ready.

"At the moment the December date for the 2017 Ashes Test is before the expected date the stadium will be ready," Davies told AFL.com.au.

"If there is an opportunity to get an event such as the Ashes to open the stadium we would welcome it, but not at the expense of design and construction quality or operational planning and efficiency," she said.

It also rules out the possibility of any 2017 AFL finals being staged at the Burswood site.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-05/football-may-win-race-for-first-event-at-new-perth-stadium

For those who know the stadium works schedule very well - when will the grass be planted? - ie no further large cranes and machinery are needed to be placed or driven on the stadium's playing surface. Surely 4 to 6 weeks after the grass is laid is when the first event could be first held, if all the internal electrical. plumbing, fit outs etc are also completed. Then again there could be a decent gap between when the grass is ready for play and the internal work is finished.

THE LONG-RUNNING debate about whether footy or cricket will get to open the new Perth Stadium could be about to fall in the AFL's favour.

While cricket officials remain hopeful of hosting an Ashes Test match at the venue in late 2017, West Australian sports minister Mia Davies has conceded it's unlikely the stadium will be ready.

"At the moment the December date for the 2017 Ashes Test is before the expected date the stadium will be ready," Davies told AFL.com.au.

"If there is an opportunity to get an event such as the Ashes to open the stadium we would welcome it, but not at the expense of design and construction quality or operational planning and efficiency," she said.

It also rules out the possibility of any 2017 AFL finals being staged at the Burswood site.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-05/football-may-win-race-for-first-event-at-new-perth-stadium

Happy about this, much prefer the test at the WACA.

More management doesnt come cheap.

Perth Stadium adds management muscle
general manager for events and and operations

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/33408191/perth-stadium-adds-management-muscle/#page1

Like the GM this guy is ex Cricket Australia.

“Over the past four years, Chris has worked with the WA Government on the arrangements for cricket to play at Perth Stadium and has been intimately involved in the design of the venue to accommodate cricket matches,” Mr McKenna said."

Yet the government has asked cricket for any involvement and cricket is asking $200 million.
Football is paying through the nose and $200 million could upgrade Subiaco(albeit not very well)
The whole arrangement seems much too top heavy IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Over the past four years, Chris has worked with the WA Government on the arrangements for cricket to play at Perth Stadium and has been intimately involved in the design of the venue to accommodate cricket matches,” Mr McKenna said."

Yet the government has asked cricket for any involvement and cricket is asking $200 million.
Football is paying through the nose and $200 million could upgrade Subiaco(albeit not very well)
The whole arrangement seems much too top heavy IMO.

So the stadium manager now has the inside on both footy & cricket strategy negotiating strategy to use the venue.

So I was chatting at a Christmas party on Sunday with someone who claimed to know someone at the WACA - you know how it goes. They claimed that the WACA is going to get 10,000 seats allocated to all events over the course of the year. This would mean that there would be only 45,000 seats allocated to the football clubs for their home games. (The rest are walk up tickets)

I don't believe this, but I do believe that the managers of the stadium would be looking to selling premium seat allocations in such a way. For $10,000 you get a flash seat to every footy, cricket game and concert.

So I was chatting at a Christmas party on Sunday with someone who claimed to know someone at the WACA - you know how it goes. They claimed that the WACA is going to get 10,000 seats allocated to all events over the course of the year. This would mean that there would be only 45,000 seats allocated to the football clubs for their home games. (The rest are walk up tickets)

I don't believe this, but I do believe that the managers of the stadium would be looking to selling premium seat allocations in such a way. For $10,000 you get a flash seat to every footy, cricket game and concert.
Surely the WACA members don't get access to Eagles and Dockers games. Thats ******* pointless. I knew this government would * up the stadium some how.

Remembering the government wanted 10k seats for walk ups, and the stadium managers want seats as well - IF all these freeloaders want to get on the AFL bandwagon, the Eagles & Dockers might have to auction their seating allocation to the highest bidders amongst their current seat holders & the waiting list might have to join the WACA to get a seat. .... :rolleyes: ....o_O

No wonder nothing is settled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back