Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on this last point, if there are games at Subi that didn't sell out, what makes the Eagles think they need an additional 15,000 member tickets? Surely In the Wings members would be filling up any unused seats. This is part of the reason I don't think the Eagles' numbers stack up. I think there are plenty of In the Wings members that would prefer to be a casual fan but signed up because seats were limited otherwise.

A three game membership may go some way to addressing this and it is an option I am expecting,

You are simply reflecting the undersupply at Subi for the excess demand, pure & simple, no ifs, I thinks or other theories, e.g I'd prefer to be a casual fan aka I want the same product for less money & want someone else to pay - bit blunt Jack but that's how you come across.

I do agree there should be a fair size number of 3 game memberships with members holding this package receiving preferential offers to step up to full season reserved seating members.

Games at subiaco were close to impossible to attend for opposition supporters. I think our interstate membership is limited to about 500 and it sells out in a couple of days, then there is very limited GA. Even more frustrating is that the average attendance is only 34k for West Coast and 31k for Fremantle because 10,000 members can't be stuffed turning up or reselling their tickets.

Having the larger GA (and hopefully a bigger visiting team allocation) at the new stadium will be fantastic, and I'm very excited for it

Games at subiaco were close to impossible to attend for opposition supporters. I think our interstate membership is limited to about 500 and it sells out in a couple of days, then there is very limited GA. Even more frustrating is that the average attendance is only 34k for West Coast and 31k for Fremantle because 10,000 members can't be stuffed turning up or reselling their tickets.

Having the larger GA (and hopefully a bigger visiting team allocation) at the new stadium will be fantastic, and I'm very excited for it

500 is a joke, but do we need 10,000 tickets for visiting teams and GA? There must be a sweet spot between these two figures.

Not a bad seat in the house is going to go a long way. Non members seating at subi is fairly bad, especially for a day game looking into the sun.

Part of having a membership is guaranteed derby. No seats are ever available for it for the public. Also final tickets. Also not having to log onto ticketmaster each week hoping to get in first. Plus other benifits the club gives to members.

The one thing they need to work on a lot more is seat re-sale. Noone likes to use it. Don't get value back from it. Fix that and you will instantly be getting more GA available as members will actually want to use it.
I always put my seat up for resale if not able to attend. Get a discount on the following years membership which is fine by me. Am not always successful in being able to onsell however as I have only put up a single seat for resale at any one time!

You are simply reflecting the undersupply at Subi for the excess demand, pure & simple, no ifs, I thinks or other theories, e.g I'd prefer to be a casual fan aka I want the same product for less money & want someone else to pay - bit blunt Jack but that's how you come across.

I do agree there should be a fair size number of 3 game memberships with members holding this package receiving preferential offers to step up to full season reserved seating members.
I don't mind blunt, but I disagree. I think clubs need to cater to all fans and not take anyone for granted; this is entertainment after all. Not everyone can afford $700+ per person per year to watch football. If I get the impression the Eagles are screwing over those fans to spin a little more coin, if I can't afford to take my kids to the football and get locked out of games because of a lack of available seating, I reckon I would have to ditch them. I've been a fan since day dot, but this isn't my religion, they don't have a god-given right to my support. If they only want rich fans, then they can lose the rest.

Now, that's a little hyperbolic as well, I expect the negotiations to end up with something roughly equitable and to continue following the Eagles for years to come. But I want to see the club looking out for its fans as much as its pockets; that's all its fans, not just some of them.

I think the seat resale program is terrible, I refuse to use it as the club is double dipping on the sale of the seat.
My $60 seat they will give me back $20 max I think and then they sell it again at $60 plus to someone else.
I am happy to cop an admin fee but if I sell my seat back to the club I should get a minimum of 75% of its value back.
Until they do that I will not use the program. It is my seat, I have purchased it up front months in advance of the season and it is mine to do with as I please.
Fortunately for me I have plenty of family and friends that are keen to go when I choose not to.
Yeah I dont use it either. But saying that i dont normally miss many games, my calender has home games locked in and not much pushes them off. Rather give it to a friend when I cant go.

Not sure who is double dipping, the club or ticketmaster? Surely ticketmaster should only take its cut from the booking fee of the person buying the ticket. Couldn't actually cost ticketmaster anything to electronically get a ticket back into the system to list it for sale again. Plus if my membership works out to be $40 a week they will re-sell it for $50 anyway. Club can take a few $ at most. They aren't actually doing anything and to be fair really don't deserve anything at all. Then the ground gets a chance to make some $ through food and beverage sales.... cant do that with an empty seat.

There are enough local supporters of most Victorian teams to make up that 5000. I reckon 1000 extra interstate visitors a week would be more likely. Still a good result, if they stick around and make a week of their visit.

How many planefuls is 5000?

My understanding is North have 4000 members in Perth & I certainly would like to see every one of them able to get a seat, attending games with mates from opposition clubs is part of our games DNA, & these guys are as much a part of WA footy as any other resident (I don't live in WA, so not me). Probably be easier to facilitate than getting season seating members to offer their seat when they decide not to attend.

Number of plane loads I've calculated as lots, +/- lots.

I'd think WA Tourism would be over the moon with 1,000 visitors a week.

Not criticising just I'm confused:
The difficulty of opposition fans to attend - using GA or is there no seating at all for opposition clubs at Subi?

The average attendance is a different factor & its true of say Geelong too - many clubs would love to have a solution but for some clubs they have already banked the money for that (reserved) seat on that day. Guess there is room for a first in seating allocation similar to the Adelaide Hill (my understanding of the Hill).

I think your version of GA may be naïve at best, no offence !

Not criticising just I'm confused:
The difficulty of opposition fans to attend - using GA or is there no seating at all for opposition clubs at Subi?

The average attendance is a different factor & its true of say Geelong too - many clubs would love to have a solution but for some clubs they have already banked the money for that (reserved) seat on that day. Guess there is room for a first in seating allocation similar to the Adelaide Hill (my understanding of the Hill).

I think your version of GA may be naïve at best, no offence !
As I said in my post, opposition seating is currently limited to about 500 out of the 43000 seats at Subiaco. If you want to attend outside of that 500, you need to try and buy a GA seat

As I said in my post, opposition seating is currently limited to about 500 out of the 43000 seats at Subiaco. If you want to attend outside of that 500, you need to try and buy a GA seat

:thumbsu: understand your point, is that 500 limited to members of the opposing club? You'd think there is history to call on - as I posted earlier I understand North have 4k WA resident members (happy for a Roos fan to put me straight). I'd like to think members of visiting clubs are entitled to a seat at the going rate $) - sorry Jack, no freebie, pay your way or watch it on FTA TV.

:thumbsu: understand your point, is that 500 limited to members of the opposing club? You'd think there is history to call on - as I posted earlier I understand North have 4k WA resident members (happy for a Roos fan to put me straight). I'd like to think members of visiting clubs are entitled to a seat at the going rate $) - sorry Jack, no freebie, pay your way or watch it on FTA TV.
Yep that's exactly how it works. For example I buy a WA Swans membership and that gets me the usual membership pack plus access to 1 (very occasionally 2!) games at Subiaco. I'm sure they and many other clubs like North and Collingwood would love to sell more than 500, but the Subiaco oval deal only makes that many seats available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind blunt, but I disagree. I think clubs need to cater to all fans and not take anyone for granted; this is entertainment after all. Not everyone can afford $700+ per person per year to watch football. If I get the impression the Eagles are screwing over those fans to spin a little more coin, if I can't afford to take my kids to the football and get locked out of games because of a lack of available seating, I reckon I would have to ditch them. I've been a fan since day dot, but this isn't my religion, they don't have a god-given right to my support. If they only want rich fans, then they can lose the rest.

Now, that's a little hyperbolic as well, I expect the negotiations to end up with something roughly equitable and to continue following the Eagles for years to come. But I want to see the club looking out for its fans as much as its pockets; that's all its fans, not just some of them.
become a 3 game member of sorts when the option is there. Give back to the club

Would have thought only a handful of clubs would bring 5000 supporters interstate, maybe none?

Yes. I'm saying 5,000 GA for interstate visiters is more than enought and if they're not booked a week out then they should go into GA.
I'm also saying that if they can sell the memberships then it's OK to impinge on the 10,000 GA figure.
I believe only 1,000 seats are held directly for interstate visiters and another 2,000 GA currently.

On thing that is good about the 10k is more punters in wa will actually get to see the eagles. Some are already priced out (high cost of membership), and some dont have access to a mates ticket. Reality is its gunna get harder and harder to watch that team live as wa continues to grow

That being said, if the 10k is full or close to it every week, bring it down (fwiw i expwct tourists and locals to snap em all up every week)

3 game members are known to want to nominate the 3 games they want ... no way Jose !
I'm interested to know how three game memberships work. Now, I absolutely would not expect to be able to choose three blockbuster games but neither would I want to be saddled with three dud games. Some people may also not be able to attend games on certain days. How do they juggle that without having empty seats at times?

I'm interested to know how three game memberships work. Now, I absolutely would not expect to be able to choose three blockbuster games but neither would I want to be saddled with three dud games. Some people may also not be able to attend games on certain days. How do they juggle that without having empty seats at times?

Last year, two lots of three game memberships were offered by Fremantle in April:
Package one
Round 5 – Fremantle v Carlton, Sunday 24 April, 2.10pm
Round 9 – Fremantle v Richmond, Saturday 21 May, 5.40pm
Round 11 – Fremantle v Essendon, Saturday 4 June, 5.40pm

Package two
Round 17 – Fremantle v Geelong, Friday 15 July, 6.10pm
Round 19 – Fremantle v Sydney, Sunday 31 July, 1.20pm
Round 23 – Fremantle v Western Bulldogs, TBC

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-04-15/3game-memberships-on-sale

They missed round 7 v GWS, Round 13 v Pt. Adelaide, Round 20 Derby, and Round 21 v Adelaide. I don't know why that was: perhaps by that stage the six games above were the games not already bought out by 3 game members.

Either way, if the Eagles go down the 3 game membership path as Freo has, it is likely that you will at least get the choice of some packages.

For 2017, Fremantle country memberships are offered. There are two options: 5 games (including derby) or 6 games. They are specified, but spread over the season. I guess that 3 game memberships will only be offered to fill in the gaps after the season has commenced.

Eagles don't offer anything like that at the moment, because they are fully subscribed. Surely they will continue being full, even with 10,000 extra members? The wait list is so long.

Last edited:
On thing that is good about the 10k is more punters in wa will actually get to see the eagles. Some are already priced out (high cost of membership), and some dont have access to a mates ticket. Reality is its gunna get harder and harder to watch that team live as wa continues to grow

That being said, if the 10k is full or close to it every week, bring it down (fwiw i expwct tourists and locals to snap em all up every week)

and who would you expect to take the commercial risk on the seats, has to be Stadium Manager?

and who would you expect to take the commercial risk on the seats, has to be Stadium Manager?

Why?

If the hire agreement states 10,000 seats (or whatever) available for GA.

That's part of the deal, take it or leave it.

If you get 40% on food sales and 30% on drink, the stadium manager isn't going to take on the commercial risk if it's a hot day and as a result food sales are lower and drink sales are higher...That's just part of how the deal is structured.

I mean, it's not like you've got a third party (lets call them the AFL) taking 23% of the best seats and still making sure the clubs pay most of the costs of the ground giving the club a crappy deal or anything.

Why?

If the hire agreement states 10,000 seats (or whatever) available for GA.

That's part of the deal, take it or leave it.

If you get 40% on food sales and 30% on drink, the stadium manager isn't going to take on the commercial risk if it's a hot day and as a result food sales are lower and drink sales are higher...That's just part of how the deal is structured.

I mean, it's not like you've got a third party (lets call them the AFL) taking 23% of the best seats and still making sure the clubs pay most of the costs of the ground giving the club a crappy deal or anything.

Again, its about how much the clubs are being expected to pay, & the more seats the clubs can sell, the more they can afford to pay for the facility - afford being the answer to why . Compre?

Again, its about how much the clubs are being expected to pay, & the more seats the clubs can sell, the more they can afford to pay for the facility - afford being the answer to why . Compre?

I really doubt the Clubs will 'pay' in the sense of renting the stadium. The deal your clubs has with Subi is the past, and your clubs is about to be thrust into the world of modern stadium deals....A percentage of this, a fraction of that, etc. You'll also probably be getting a LOT less money out of the deal (to go by the example of pretty much every other stadium deal in the AFL era).

It wont be 'stadium management pays for X, club gets the money from Y', it'll all just be one big package deal....and the WA clubs will have no choice but to take it.

WA clubs will have no choice but to take it.

WA football has the choice of status quo.
WA football said, yes, we'd dearly love a new stadium but not if we lose out.
The government did not make any agreements. We are still yet to see an agreement.
The govenment went ahead with the build without the financial foundations in place.
The government chose the costing of the stadium and the reat was never ever going to be commercial.
It's like when the government built the convention centre. They built the convention centre and expected people to come purely because Perth now had a convention centre. This government seems to have no idea of cost/benefit.

WA football has the choice of status quo.
WA football said, yes, we'd dearly love a new stadium but not if we lose out.
The government did not make any agreements. We are still yet to see an agreement.
The govenment went ahead with the build without the financial foundations in place.
The government chose the costing of the stadium and the reat was never ever going to be commercial.
It's like when the government built the convention centre. They built the convention centre and expected people to come purely because Perth now had a convention centre. This government seems to have no idea of cost/benefit.

Yeah....Big new state of the art stadium, and WA clubs will keep playing at Subi....Sure....No doubt All their fans will be fine with that.

and the AFL and Government, both of which have the power to force the issue, will just sit by and let them....Sure they will...

Please tell me you're not serious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back