Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

I won't be attending any NRL games, surely the WA government can't afford $3 million for that crap anyway. :p
This is the thing.
The NRL has put forward an idea. They feel they'll get an ok crowd and the best part is they'd pip the AFL and possibly cricket at being the first football/sport at PS.
The government would have to decide it's worth their money.
From the NRL's perspective it's not a bad idea. Game to somewhere that doesn't get a lot of it. New stadium as a drawcard as well.
From the government's perspective - well that's a different kettle of fish.

WTF.

Why would you play RL at the new stadium, which BTW RL claim they hate playing at football/cricket grounds.

East Perth ground is more than suitable, except for SOO.

Did you somehow miss this part of the article?

The WA Government is in talks with the NRL about hosting the event to showcase the stadium but would have to pay around $3 million to secure it.

The NRL has put forward an idea.

The organisation that does everything in it's power to denigrate AFL.

They feel they'll get an ok crowd .

An OK crowd is simply not going to cut it is it.

being the first football/sport at PS.

Not that I'm too fussed but it would be good to have something that West Australians can celebrate.
That would be a big negative w.r.t. NRL. A good reason by itself to knock it on it's head.

The government would have to decide it's worth their money.

To pay $3 million for under 20k is insanely bad business.

From the NRL's perspective it's not a bad idea.

Care factor zero.

I think a State of Origin/ All star game would be a good opener.

Are we sure that the $3 million refers to what the government would pay? Surely it's what the NRL would have to pay to secure the stadium.

I can't see a mickey mouse pre-season competition getting more than a handful of tourists in town. Why would anyone travel across the country for that?

Bump (since it was at bottom of the previous page)...

From Saturday walk - Starting in east walking counterclockwise..

vr4OMsE.jpg

Hosted on Imgur (by me)

543Q9oX.jpg

Hosted on Imgur (by me)

sikqnUo.jpg

Hosted on Imgur (by me)

BvLoIUi.jpg

Hosted on Imgur (by me)

ebcD8y7.jpg

Hosted on Imgur (by me)

r5KuXED.jpg

Hosted on Imgur (by me)

qNzY4wR.jpg

Hosted on Imgur (by me)

Xti4M43.jpg

Hosted on Imgur (by me)

7qlJE4v.jpg

Hosted on Imgur (by me)

I think a State of Origin/ All star game would be a good opener.

Victoria vs wa, remind the sandgropers that while they have a nice new stadium, they are still inferior to the mighty big V

The top two crowds at NIB stadium are NRL matches. 2015 Rabbitohs Warriors match is the only NIB stadium sporting event to sell out.

Lets not get on the high horse just because of one match poorly attended match in bad weather.
Yeah was shocking weather for the last match so it was actually a decent turnout given how bad it was.

Are we sure that the $3 million refers to what the government would pay? Surely it's what the NRL would have to pay to secure the stadium.

I can't see a mickey mouse pre-season competition getting more than a handful of tourists in town. Why would anyone travel across the country for that?
No, it's what the state government would have to pay the NRL to get the tournament.

From the NRLs perspective, being paid to gazump the AFL, put NRL in an expansion target market, and it's a TV product anyway, so who cares if crowds aren't great.

Why wouldn't they go for it.

Its the State government decision that is key, is it worth $3 mill to them?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The only time the state government should be forking out $3m for an event is when there's a benefit of bringing people and money to the state. I'd have nothing against this NRL event opening the stadium but unless x thousand NRL fans fly over it's not actually going to make any money for the state. By comparison imho hosting and paying for one of the NRL SoO games is a good move.

A pre season NRL carnival might be fun to attend but not as an investment by our State government.

On a side note: I can understand the money being payed for the F1 (although it's getting somewhat ridiculous), I'd like to see us make a decent effort at getting Formula E (as I think this will mature into a good product). Anything that showcases the river, kings park and now the stadium is pretty good. If only the red bull air race was more popular as a 'sport'.

No, it's what the state government would have to pay the NRL to get the tournament.

From the NRLs perspective, being paid to gazump the AFL, put NRL in an expansion target market, and it's a TV product anyway, so who cares if crowds aren't great.

Why wouldn't they go for it.

Its the State government decision that is key, is it worth $3 mill to them?

Wouldn't have thought it would be worth anything to the government. Unless i'm missing something - any NRL fans want to fill us in on this? It just seems like a pre-season mickey mouse cup to me, has it actually got some prestige?

The promotion to the NRL means it might be them worth paying millions though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't have thought it would be worth anything to the government. Unless i'm missing something - any NRL fans want to fill us in on this? It just seems like a pre-season mickey mouse cup to me, has it actually got some prestige?

The promotion to the NRL means it might be them worth paying millions though.
Its the value of having a brand new asset in use, verse being empty.

If the event attracts 10k people, and the government calculates it gets a good percentage of the $3 mill back?

How little does it need to return for leaving the stadium empty to be the better option?

If the event attracts 10k people, and the government calculates it gets a good percentage of the $3 mill back?

How little does it need to return for leaving the stadium empty to be the better option?

"In its first year the Perth Stadium hosted Ed Sheeran, and Australia vs England ODI, the NRL 9s tournament, 22 AFL H&A games, one AFL Final, the Socceroos farewell game to the WC, the Wallabies match vs the Springboks and 4 sold-out Perth Scorchers games". Pretty impressive CV.

Given it's probably going ot be quite pricey just to open - with costs of staffing, cleaning, security and transport (assuming the government is paying all this as well), i'd imagine they'd want a significant tourist influx to warrant just that. Let alone paying $3 million to the NRL.

I honestly can't get my head around it......they're looking at paying $3 million to someone so they have the honour of being the opening event???? It just seems insane.

If the government outlays $3 million and only gets 1/3 of the GST back then then event has to generation $100 million for the state to break even.
For a crowd of 10,000 then they'd each have to spend $10,000 in Perth.

"In its first year the Perth Stadium hosted Ed Sheeran, and Australia vs England ODI, the NRL 9s tournament, 22 AFL H&A games, one AFL Final, the Socceroos farewell game to the WC, the Wallabies match vs the Springboks and 4 sold-out Perth Scorchers games". Pretty impressive CV.
It's not really considering they touted 40 events per year as being the requirement to get the return they're after.

It's not really considering they touted 40 events per year as being the requirement to get the return they're after.

It's even less impressive if you analyse the events and numbers.
Concerts will help pay the bills but Subiaco was more cost/benefit effective.
AFL H&A, AFL finals and IR games will be near capacity events paying top rent.
Cricket will be paying some rent with reasonable crowds I assume.
That's the "bread and butter" side of things.

On the "events" side of things.
Soccer friendlies and RU tests might bring reasonable crowds but they are just moving events from PRS.
You might find that there is more profit in playing these games at PRS.
I imagine the WAFL grand final will be played at Subiaco as it will make money for the WAFL
rather than attract a much larger crowd at Perth Stadium and be lucky to break even.
Other events have to make the same decision.
You don't want the ludicrous situation in Sydney where rl is paid to play at an empty ANZ
where there is a much more suitable stadium available.

Evidently money to cover funding shortfalls - Apparently at least $700,000 a year - on top of the 2 million they already get annually - direct to the WAFL.

We all understand why, the WAFC have stood firm on $11m to maintain status quo - why would you rebrand? Its not as if the AFL have coughed anything for the new facility, a facility the AFL claimed credit for getting built.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back