Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Also an issue with some tickets being released late, after people assume you cannot get them.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Also an issue with some tickets being released late, after people assume you cannot get them.

That's standard bullshit by the AFL come finals as they block out big slabs for oppo supporters and best seats for their corporate needs and then release them closer to the game after most people have spent their money and those that can't afford the expensive best seats put back into the pool late, can't afford to buy them.

I have a few questions about attendances at Perth Stadium.

How come there hasn't been crowds closer to maximum capacity in the 6 games so far? Ok makes sense why not for the Suns home games, but have any games been a sell out but just a few thousand people haven't turned up?

Have both WCE and Freo sold 50,000 reserved seats which I assume includes the corporate hospitality boxes that come with club memberships? Or do their membership numbers includes lots of non 11 game memberships?

Are the 1,385 stadium members turning up or have they been patchy? What about the 7,000 GA tickets? Are they the ones not selling? Do you reckon the 1,000 seats left for tourism packages are selling? there are 615 to be shared between competing clubs and VenuesLive and I assume nobody knows what is happening to the take up of those tickets.

Will this weeks derby be a sellout game or a genuine old style lock out game, where people who may have GA tickets can't get into the stadium??

Kwality any ideas?

No ideas, been trying but to no cigar.

The allocation of seating to In The Wings (ITW) members for the Eagles is still in progress.

Being a Freo home game this weeks Derby should see how fair dinkum the long suffering ITW Eagles wait list are - I'd think they'd swallow up all seats available, but ...

That the Eagles have no released an update on the seating position has disappointed me although that might be the domain of the Venue Manager & they have no good news to spruik.

About the only info I've gleaned is that 3 & 5 seat Eagles members are seated in the GA area.

That's standard bullshit by the AFL come finals as they block out big slabs for oppo supporters and best seats for their corporate needs and then release them closer to the game after most people have spent their money and those that can't afford the expensive best seats put back into the pool late, can't afford to buy them.

Nah, it's true in this case. The Eagles have had massive problems seating their waiting list (still are from what i've heard). Partly because full members from last year found out their new seats were restricted view and had to be reseated, and partly because they don't know how many seats each member on the waiting list wants. The first game against Sydney they released thousands of seats literally the night before the game. They did the same thing with less seats before their game against Geelong. You can tell by simply checking ticketmaster as there is generally a seating map available showing every seat that's available (and those that aren't).

The other problem is ticket prices. Freo charge reasonable prices for the category 4-6 seats, but above that it's $70, $95 and $120 for the top 3 categories. And many of those seats are nothing special, like the back of blocks on the top tier. I noticed at last week's game against the Dogs there were blocks on the 5th level that were full, with adjacent blocks closer to the wing (i.e better seats) half empty. People will buy OK seats for $45, but they're going to baulk at better seats for $70 or more.
West Coast charge ridiculous prices for the whole ground. Minimum $55 for an adult, and that's just the s**t seats. For the game against the Suns that was probably the culprit as to why it wasn't chock a block. There are people complaining about paying about $55 for a seat to watch Collingwood v Richmond - and that's the most expensive reserved seat they sell. Imagine paying that for bottom tier behind the goals.

There are no 7000 GA tickets for sale. I believe the only requirement is to sell 6000 tickets to the public, but AFAIK they can be anywhere at whatever price they're going for. It's not like there are 6000 tickets in a huge block available - it does seem like about 3 blocks behind the goals are kept for the public, but they're the cheapest in the ground and usually sell well for that reason.

Last edited:
Nah, it's true in this case. The Eagles have had massive problems seating their waiting list (still are from what i've heard). Partly because full members from last year found out their new seats were restricted view and had to be reseated, and partly because they don't know how many seats each member on the waiting list wants. The first game against Sydney they released thousands of seats literally the night before the game. They did the same thing with less seats before their game against Geelong. You can tell by simply checking ticketmaster as there is generally a seating map available showing every seat that's available (and those that aren't).

You would have thought those on the wait list 2016 or 2017, say by April 2017 would have been asked to lock in their seat/membership request ie 1, 2, 3 or 4 and the Eagles work their way thru the wait list to make it easier. I am assuming that $55 wings membership was an annual thing not a one of payment and that's why the Eagles membership number was so high for several years.

The other problem is ticket prices. Freo charge reasonable prices for the category 4-6 seats, but above that it's $70, $95 and $120 for the top 3 categories. And many of those seats are nothing special, like the back of blocks on the top tier. I noticed at last week's game against the Dogs there were blocks on the 5th level that were full, with adjacent blocks closer to the wing (i.e better seats) half empty. People will buy OK seats for $45, but they're going to baulk at better seats for $70 or more.
West Coast charge ridiculous prices for the whole ground. Minimum $55 for an adult, and that's just the s**t seats. For the game against the Suns that was probably the culprit as to why it wasn't chock a block. There are people complaining about paying about $55 for a seat to watch Collingwood v Richmond - and that's the most expensive reserved seat they sell. Imagine paying that for bottom tier behind the goals.

Whilst AO has GA tickets for closer to $38 with a booking fee they have plenty in the $70-$95 range as part of the 3,000 the AFL says has to be made available to the public. Crows games there are less $38 tickets than for Port games.

There are no 7000 GA tickets for sale. I believe the only requirement is to sell 6000 tickets to the public, but AFAIK they can be anywhere at whatever price they're going for. It's not like there are 6000 tickets in a huge block available - it does seem like about 3 blocks behind the goals are kept for the public, but they're the cheapest in the ground and usually sell well for that reason.

Yeah the AFL rule is a minimum of 3,000 at the main stadiums - covering all categories available to the public, and I assumed the 7,000 figure was GA based on this story in The West last June. I guess a draft document can change.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/revealed-winners-and-losers-in-stadium-deal-ng-b88500757z
A leaked draft contract for the new Perth Stadium reveals that only 7000 general admission tickets will be available for AFL games — 3000 fewer than promised by the former State government................According to the document, the allocation of 10,000 “daily admission tickets” in the 60,000-seat stadium will be broken up into five categories — 1000 tourism package seats, 1385 stadium membership seats, 424 complimentary tickets for the football club playing on the day, 191 complimentary tickets for VenuesLive and 7000 general admission tickets......
https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/revealed-winners-and-losers-in-stadium-deal-ng-b88500757z

Yeah the eagles literally havent even finished allocating their members yet plus the way the tickets have been released for sale to the general public has been rediculous as well.

Very easy criticism but valid.
The procedure the club chose to allocate the seating offered many variables with each offer that was then open to change, impossible to put a time frame on, up to 4 seats per member, 11, 3 & 5 seaing options.
When it came to the ITW members that were on the waiting list its been more of the same - extra super slow! IMHO they should have offered only 3 or 5 seat options to ITW members, take it or leave it.

As for price its easy to drop the asking price, bit harder to put it up, I wouldnt review it until the end of the 2018 season.

I believe the only requirement is to sell 6000 tickets to the public, but AFAIK they can be anywhere at whatever price they're going for. It's not like there are 6000 tickets in a huge block available - it does seem like about 3 blocks behind the goals are kept for the public, but they're the cheapest in the ground and usually sell well for that reason.

Rob, who is controlling the GA ticketing, the clubs or the Venue Manager?

Rob, who is controlling the GA ticketing, the clubs or the Venue Manager?

I don't know for sure, but i'm guessing the clubs. I can't see why the venue manager would care.

But what do you mean by GA ticketing? Just what's available to the public?

And RussellEbertHandball - if you want an idea of what's available to the public for a West Coast game and the prices, have a look at this:
http://www1.ticketmaster.com.au/wes...atid=711&tm_link=venue_msg-0_25005462C7FF754A
Obviously some tickets will have been sold, but you can see the general areas where there are tickets available.

I don't know for sure, but i'm guessing the clubs. I can't see why the venue manager would care.

But what do you mean by GA ticketing? Just what's available to the public?

And RussellEbertHandball - if you want an idea of what's available to the public for a West Coast game and the prices, have a look at this:
http://www1.ticketmaster.com.au/wes...atid=711&tm_link=venue_msg-0_25005462C7FF754A
Obviously some tickets will have been sold, but you can see the general areas where there are tickets available.

Yes, what control do the clubs have, do they set the price & keep the proceeds from GA seating or does the Venue Manager, e.g the clubs dont control catering, poor example I know.

Does anyone else think that the 'in the wings' members should have been given one membership each? Or has it always been known that they can buy a number of memberships using their ITW membership?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would have thought those on the wait list 2016 or 2017, say by April 2017 would have been asked to lock in their seat/membership request ie 1, 2, 3 or 4 and the Eagles work their way thru the wait list to make it easier. I am assuming that $55 wings membership was an annual thing not a one of payment and that's why the Eagles membership number was so high for several years.

In retrospect you've highlighted why the seat allocation is not complete, so many seating options & up to 4 seats per membership.

Note that the Eagles not having completed the seating process seems to be less of problem for Eagles fans but fodder for opposition fans.

Re the fence at optus stadium, here is a photo from today’s game at geelong. If that top layer of fixed advertising signs were removed, it too would have the same fence situation as optus (albeit at just one end of the ground).

I really am surprised that the space at optushas not yet been sold for advertising as both clubs are always after $$$. 7B727202-815B-4DA1-922A-35915E082531.jpeg 663C9DE7-6CC9-4DDE-A0DE-B89708070A16.jpeg

Re the fence at optus stadium, here is a photo from today’s game at geelong. If that top layer of fixed advertising signs were removed, it too would have the same fence situation as optus (albeit at just one end of the ground).

I really am surprised that the space at optushas not yet been sold for advertising as both clubs are always after $$$. View attachment 489397View attachment 489398
Not their space to sell?

I really am surprised that the space at optushas not yet been sold for advertising as both clubs are always after $$$.

The front row looks through the fence. They could only put ads about half way up or those seats effectively become unsellable.

The front row looks through the fence. They could only put ads about half way up or those seats effectively become unsellable.
Dont think so. I sat there quickly before suns game and it was fine.
If you can see front row people’s eyes on telecast they can see the ground.

Edit. Actually i went back and looked at some photos and it was probably 20cm higher than my line of sight

Dont think so. I sat there quickly before suns game and it was fine.
If you can see front row people’s eyes on telecast they can see the ground.

At ground level? I did the same thing at the Suns game (I had row b seats and the front row was free) and my eyeline looking into the centre square was just below the top of the fence. And i'm not short. Kids would have had no chance.

Maybe it's different heights in different areas. Apparently the fence on level 2 is a bit lower (perversely, given the consequences of going over it is much much greater).

At ground level? I did the same thing at the Suns game (I had row b seats and the front row was free) and my eyeline looking into the centre square was just below the top of the fence. And i'm not short. Kids would have had no chance.

Maybe it's different heights in different areas. Apparently the fence on level 2 is a bit lower (perversely, given the consequences of going over it is much much greater).
Heard others say they can see the nearside boundary line over the fence without problem. Do not know if it varies around the ground though, or how tall they are.

I have to say the transport is starting to get to me, which might be that I wasn't in the usual cheerful mood. Took 40 minutes from getting on a train to get to Daglish. Didn't help that it spent 10 minutes on the platform before actually leaving.
I can understand why it might take a bit of time to get from stadium to claisebrook, but once the Freo line train is actually on the Freo line why does it still crawl along at snail's pace? If the signalling shows the line is clear, then what's the ******* holdup? These trains that go at walking pace just end up holding up every other train behind them as well.

Rant over.

Such a poor design, especially given the cost of the place. Ordinary stadium is ordinary, way to ruin yourself Perth. Looks terrible on the outside and on the inside you have LOS issues.

When its a really sunny afternoon like yesterday viewing the game on TV is just as bad as at Etihad with the roof open. After halftime when the sun dropped low enough it was fine. But that first half was painful viewing. Not sure much can be done besides scheduling later games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back