Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Long day, walked from mount street to the stadium, did the tour and then walked all the way back again.

Think i'll catch the train to the game of sunday :cool:

It looks great when lit up, less so when not.

I went past the other night with some tacky blue colour.

given the importance placed on looks, this would be the only area the footy stadium infrastructure may not have delivered

Oct 1, 2006
Boom town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Steelers & Penguins
I went past the other night with some tacky blue colour.

given the importance placed on looks, this would be the only area the footy stadium infrastructure may not have delivered
That and the prospect of the cupholders randomly launching beers if someone aggressively sits down in front of you.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
0_Image-from-iOS-4.jpg

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
I know the attendance didn't warrant it but I'm surprised they didn't use "rectangle mode" last night.
yeh strange. id like to know where on that photo they put the extra seats in. couple banks/rows behind each goal, some on outer wing? what about on coaches/subs side? just to the side? or where the security guys in yellow are? can you see past coaches/subs box if behind them?

I know the attendance didn't warrant it but I'm surprised they didn't use "rectangle mode" last night.

Didn't want to "damage the grass" for the footy on Sunday?

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
yeh strange. id like to know where on that photo they put the extra seats in. couple banks/rows behind each goal, some on outer wing? what about on coaches/subs side? just to the side? or where the security guys in yellow are? can you see past coaches/subs box if behind them?
When they did it for the NRL yeah it was just on 3 sides.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Why was the rectangular field not in the middle but over so far to one side? The people on the player's bus shelter side of the ground seem a long long way from the action.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
0_Image-from-iOS-4.jpg
Why was the rectangular field not in the middle but over so far to one side? The people on the player's bus shelter side of the ground seem a long long way from the action.
It's not. If you look at the 50m arc markings on the RHS of the pitch, on the near side the Telstra logo is visible just inside the sideline and the "50" is written just inside the far sideline. Also the AFL logo is just inside the near sideline, which is just outside the centre square, so you can see that the football centre circle is surrounding where the AFL centre circles would be. And finally, the replay screen sit directly behind the goals, and the replay screen is directly behind the soccer goal.

The advertising boards on the far side of the pitch fill space and make that side seem smaller.

Lyyynnnchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
It's not. If you look at the 50m arc markings on the RHS of the pitch, on the near side the Telstra logo is visible just inside the sideline and the "50" is written just inside the far sideline. Also the AFL logo is just inside the near sideline, which is just outside the centre square, so you can see that the football centre circle is surrounding where the AFL centre circles would be. And finally, the replay screen sit directly behind the goals, and the replay screen is directly behind the soccer goal.

The advertising boards on the far side of the pitch fill space and make that side seem smaller.

Nicely pointed out. I wonder if anyone on here went along? It doesn't look like it was great for viewing, you're a long way away from the action.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Nicely pointed out. I wonder if anyone on here went along? It doesn't look like it was great for viewing, you're a long way away from the action.
Yeah but two things - 1, you can't get that many people at NIB or whatever it's called, and 2, the action in cricket is further away with a smaller ball :p
For a big game like this I believe it's worth it. Being an Adelaidian I've gone to rectangle sports at AO quite a bit. It's further away, yes, and I tend to try and sit level 2 as opposed to level 1 at a rectangular stadium. But we wouldn't have got 50k to the A-League GF if it was at Hindmarsh. We wouldn't have got the game in Adelaide at all! It's gotta be done with a garuanteed big attendance.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Anyone purchased general admin to a Freo game?

What's the accessibility to decent seats like?
just buy cheapest ticket you can get. if you dont like it, then if you like watching up high, go sit by one of the big screens. if you like watching it lower, stand behind the back row at the bottom

rolling01

Team Captain
Oct 23, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone purchased general admin to a Freo game?

What's the accessibility to decent seats like?

General adm is behind goals if thats your thing, there will be plenty of good seats vacant around the ground you could just sit in once the game has started. I have a freo membership on the wing level 1 and there is always empty seats around .

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I went to 5 games on weekend when in syd and melb. Syd i had to pay 55 as no GA. For the 4 games in Melb (two each at G and Docklands) i could pay 25 and pretty much sit anywhere on top level of stands.
At metricon if you want top levelof stand it is like perth and i assume adelaide and Sydney- upwards of 55.
If it cost 55 + to sit at top of G or Docklands i bet the crowds would drop significantly. Yet another reason crowds dont come to metricon. Along with no parking or tram line and a train station that is 25 mins away walking.
What are the cheapest GA walk-up (ie non reserved) seats at the SCG? Why did you say there was no GA at the SCG?

What are the cheapest walk-up GA seats at Metricon?

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
What are the cheapest GA walk-up (ie non reserved) seats at the SCG? Why did you say there was no GA at the SCG?

What are the cheapest walk-up GA seats at Metricon?
The scg ga’s were all sold out. They are 25 from memory. Pretty standard at most grounds i think.

Back