The New Perth Stadium

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Power Raid

TheBrownDog
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Posts
60,560
Likes
49,399
Location
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FFS, it's a ******* bridge, how hard is it???
I wonder who will do all the remedial work and environmental work to allow the river to flow unimpeded? It is one thing to wait a decade for a bridge but it is another to stop a river flowing for a decade.

I'd give it a 20% chance the bridge will have to be pulled down, as no one in their right mind picks up the liability of past construction. The 80% chance is more likely and the government will have to assume all future liability and waive all rights.
 

budge27

Team Captain
Joined
Aug 16, 2009
Posts
442
Likes
190
Location
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Redskins, Northwestern, Dodgers
I wonder who will do all the remedial work and environmental work to allow the river to flow unimpeded? It is one thing to wait a decade for a bridge but it is another to stop a river flowing for a decade.

I'd give it a 20% chance the bridge will have to be pulled down, as no one in their right mind picks up the liability of past construction. The 80% chance is more likely and the government will have to assume all future liability and waive all rights.
Remember the bridge was built by a JV with York (gone into Aministration) and Rizzani De Eccher (an Italian company). So the Italians will now be picking up the bill for all the remedial and maintenance work as part of the contract.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-...-bridge-york-civil-in-administration/10082236

“The joint-venture nature of the contract meant Main Roads held a project bank account, with enough funds sitting in that to cover the money owed to subcontractors.

Subcontractors WA's Louise Stewart said the situation with the bridge project was a much better outcome than most occasions where building companies collapsed.”
 

Power Raid

TheBrownDog
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Posts
60,560
Likes
49,399
Location
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Remember the bridge was built by a JV with York (gone into Aministration) and Rizzani De Eccher (an Italian company). So the Italians will now be picking up the bill for all the remedial and maintenance work as part of the contract.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-...-bridge-york-civil-in-administration/10082236

“The joint-venture nature of the contract meant Main Roads held a project bank account, with enough funds sitting in that to cover the money owed to subcontractors.

Subcontractors WA's Louise Stewart said the situation with the bridge project was a much better outcome than most occasions where building companies collapsed.”
walking over the bridge, the bridge is not even under foot. If this was a foot path, it would be ripped up and rebuilt.

It will be interesting to see how they remedy this and at whose expense.
 

Power Raid

TheBrownDog
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Posts
60,560
Likes
49,399
Location
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The bridge will be fine, I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by suggesting it might fall down/need to be pulled down. The fact a company has gone into administration doesn't suddenly mean the work was completed by the Shonky Brothers.
I'm not suggesting it will fall down but the biggest issue with engaging a new contractor to finish the works is defining the scope and defining liability.

That's why you see half finished projects either torn down or sit in hibernation for 12 months whilst the legal beavers do their work.
 
Joined
Oct 11, 2012
Posts
36
Likes
46
AFL Club
West Coast
Thank you to all the people who took part in my recent surveys and congrats to BigFooty member wild side for being the winner of the $50 Camfield voucher which was drawn randomly.

I have one final and similar survey for anyone who would like to take part in it if you have attended an event post the opening of the Matagarup Bridge. Another $50 Camfield voucher will be given to a random survey participant so please like this post if you have undertook the survey.
https://curtin.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9pN1nXqf6cQNPff

As mentioned before these surveys have received ethics approval from Curtin.

Cheers and enjoy the rest of the footy season at Optus Stadium.
 

Mr B

Debutant
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Posts
59
Likes
50
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Scorchers
That'd be smart on the part of both parties. NRL get the town to themselves and the AFL don't have to worry about losing attendances that weekend when families pick the one-off event over "just another AFL game".
Not an issue. At least for West Coast. The vast majority of the crowd are season members, and as such have already paid for their AFL tickets. And if you think the average Eagles supporter is going to choose to go to a Rugby game (even SoO) instead of a real footy game, you need your head read.

There are enough league supporters in WA to fill the ground anyway, who probably wouldn't want to go to the footy.
 

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joined
Oct 11, 2012
Posts
36
Likes
46
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi guys, I promise this will be my final post about the surveys as I just need around 10 more!

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone who has went to the footy from Rd 17 onwards or the Glory vs. Chelsea game to fill out my final satisfaction survey for my thesis at Curtin University.

It will only take 5 minutes and you’ll be in the running to win a $50 Camfield voucher which ended up going to a freo supporter last time.
Just simply like the post once you have completed it to enter (you can also do the survey again and have two chances of winning if you completed the same survey for another event).
https://curtin.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9pN1nXqf6cQNPff

Cheers
 

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Joined
Aug 14, 2011
Posts
15,373
Likes
4,779
Location
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
So whats the go heading into the final, is the bridge finished, are there problems with the public transport - both were used on Melbourne radio Monday as excuses for the AFL not scheduling a Thu night final.
 

Billy ray

Norm Smith Medallist
Joined
Nov 10, 2013
Posts
6,995
Likes
10,357
Location
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So whats the go heading into the final, is the bridge finished, are there problems with the public transport - both were used on Melbourne radio Monday as excuses for the AFL not scheduling a Thu night final.
They were just trotting out their known lines whether true or not. Like how the surface is hard due to carpark underneath...

Bridge and transport all in use. Transport would have been an issue for a weekday early evening start but that’s been a feature since 1987 due to early starts.

Should be ground record Saturday night. I reckon 60,005
 
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Posts
229
Likes
155
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
No such beast.
In Sydney, the NRL schedule games next door to the Swans at the SCG and it's the NRL that loses out.
It's the AFL who constantly put the Swans on at the same time as an event at SFS because they're idiots, the area can't cope with 2 events on at the same time. God help us if one of those events at SFS was going to get anywhere from 25,000 to 45,000 people at the same time as a Swans game, it would be an epic disaster. Thankfully the Roosters don't draw decent crowds (except for ANZAC day) anyway
 

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
Joined
May 3, 2009
Posts
18,095
Likes
13,665
Location
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
So whats the go heading into the final, is the bridge finished, are there problems with the public transport - both were used on Melbourne radio Monday as excuses for the AFL not scheduling a Thu night final.
There is no "problem" with public transport as such, it works perfectly fine on a Saturday or Sunday. The issue is that there are not enough buses and trains to do both the evening peak hour and a full stadium at the same time. Given that Ch 7 and FOXTEL want the game to go live at prime time for the east coast it means starting the game somewhere around 5-6pm Perth time - right smack in the middle of peak hour. If it was a 7.30pm start in Perth it would probably be OK transport wise but the broadcasters would never agree to that.
 
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Posts
229
Likes
155
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Totally, totally, totally the wrong way around.
The AFL releases it's fixtures way before the NRL and the NRL has dynamic fixturing on top of that.
It has always been that way.
Actually for this year it was the NRL who released the fixture first and no longer has dynamic fixturing in their fixture unlike the AFL for some reason
 
Top Bottom