Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

All those teams had decades to build up geographic identities.

Why the hell would anyone follow the Perth Sharks?

Maybe pick up a lot of people who may like the name Perth. Those who want to be different from the crowd. Those who may not be nut case WCE supporters so a new team might appeal. Maybe join a new team that doesn't rip their members off because they have the market by the throat.
I guess thats just a few. :)

Maybe pick up a lot of people who may like the name Perth. Those who want to be different from the crowd. Those who may not be nut case WCE supporters so a new team might appeal. Maybe join a new team that doesn't rip their members off because they have the market by the throat.

You mean like how Melbourne are such a massive club?

WTF has that got do do with it?

I mean if you have a good reason then say so, but don't be a goose.

Because this idea that people would be attracted to a team "Perth" because they're from Perth is complete bullshit.

Evidence: Melbourne. And they actually had a head start on every other club, as opposed to this hypothetical club which will start at a time when everyone else already has a team.

I'm all for a 3rd WA team if I can be convinced that it would attract supporters. "Perth XXX" is the worst idea i've heard in that regard. It would have zero chance.

Because this idea that people would be attracted to a team "Perth" because they're from Perth is complete bullshit.

Evidence: Melbourne. And they actually had a head start on every other club, as opposed to this hypothetical club which will start at a time when everyone else already has a team.

I'm all for a 3rd WA team if I can be convinced that it would attract supporters. "Perth XXX" is the worst idea i've heard in that regard. It would have zero chance.

Perth XXX sounds mighty fine to me

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You're just happy with the status quo. Big city, two teams, both wealthy from ripping off the punters. You might be surprised how many more people would go to the footy if the prices were more affordable for families & a lot of lower income people.

But as if you care or can see past your own comfort level.

In a national league, Perth 2 teams, Melbourne 9 teams. Who's kidding who. Especially with some people dribbling on about a 3rd Sydney team. How stupid is that?

No one picks a football side based on the name.
Those that want to be different from the crowd pick Fremantle, who still aren't close to being full.
Remembering in all this there is currently a state with ZERO teams...
A 3rd WA team would still have bigger crowds than a capacity crowd in Hobart though.

You're just happy with the status quo. Big city, two teams, both wealthy from ripping off the punters. You might be surprised how many more people would go to the footy if the prices were more affordable for families & a lot of lower income people.

But as if you care or can see past your own comfort level.

In a national league, Perth 2 teams, Melbourne 9 teams. Who's kidding who. Especially with some people dribbling on about a 3rd Sydney team. How stupid is that?
Nobody is seriously talking about a third team in Sydney.

A 3rd WA team would still have bigger crowds than a capacity crowd in Hobart though.
In the context of people saying "it's a national competition but Victoria has more than half the teams", having one team in Tassie, regardless of crowd size, would be a higher priority than a third in WA or anywhere else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those that want to be different from the crowd pick Fremantle, who still aren't close to being full.

So why do people pick a team then? Give us your knowledge on the matter.

A 3rd WA team would also attract bigger crowds than some other existing teams. That doesn't seem to stop them getting a gig in the AFL. Does it.

So why do people pick a team then? Give us your knowledge on the matter.

A 3rd WA team would also attract bigger crowds than some other existing teams. That doesn't seem to stop them getting a gig in the AFL. Does it.

A monicker with Perth in it was not acceptable when the Eagles kicked off, Perth Football Club are the Demons in the WAFL & produced Barry Cable & Ern Henfry (a couple of examples) who are both in the Teams of the Century at the Roos & the Blues, currently coached by sometime Melbourne footballer Earl Spalding, i.e they are integral & respected club in WA. Buddy is a Perth FC product earning his keep at AFL level today.

The same applies to the Sharks aka East Fremantle FC, in my time pre the national comp the team I most enjoyed beating because they were successful more often than not. Also a major contributor of talent to the AFL, punching above their weight.

So Perth is out & so are the Sharks.

Not to mention where the talent will come from when we obviously dont have the player pool to supply 18 clubs, aah so what !!

Last edited:
Any 3rd WA team would definitely be from Perth’s northern suburbs.

Joondalup/Butler is the ideal spot, Joondalup is almost a separate city from Perth with the way things are going.

Redevelop HBF Arena and make it the home ground, it’s in an ideal spot with room to grow around it and semi-decent public transport access.

This is all a long way off of course, I’d like to see a team in Tassie before I see another team in the Perth market.

My call for WA3 is based on the population of WA. Perth, a footy city, has over 2 million people. With a new facility which could handle more games.

We have Melbourne/Geelong with just over 5 million people with 10 clubs. Probably 2 too many for the market & seeing how much support the AFL has to chip in to keep some afloat.

We have BF calls for a 3rd NSW/Sydney team! How could you possibly argue for 3 teams their, with only 2 in our 2nd biggest footy market? . Look at the current finances, tv audiences & ground facilities with the current 2 Sydney teams.

Clearly the Qld situation is also under huge stress. 2 teams in Perth & 2 in SEQ! Give me a break. Demitriou stuffed that up big time.

If we are just using population, which is your call. Doesn't it make more sense to have more teams in Sydney, which has 3 million more people or SEQ, which has 1 million more people than Perth?

Any 3rd WA team would definitely be from Perth’s northern suburbs.

Joondalup/Butler is the ideal spot, Joondalup is almost a separate city from Perth with the way things are going.

Redevelop HBF Arena and make it the home ground, it’s in an ideal spot with room to grow around it and semi-decent public transport access.

This is all a long way off of course, I’d like to see a team in Tassie before I see another team in the Perth market.

If the purpose of the 3rd team is to increase utilisation of the new Perth stadium it makes no sense to redevelop Joondalup Arena into a boutique AFL venue.

If the purpose of the 3rd team is to increase utilisation of the new Perth stadium it makes no sense to redevelop Joondalup Arena into a boutique AFL venue.

I never said the purpose of the 3rd team was to do that.

Raise your hand if Fremantle should still be playing at Subiaco. Reasoning, they only average 40,000 out of a 60,000 seat venue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back