Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Yeah not going to happen and rightly so

All cricket, where the demand doesn't exceed the WACA's capacity (~23,800; Ashes & Big Bash), should remain at the WACA.

Can't see a Test, which isn't a popular format in 2019, against one of the minnows would warrant it at a venue larger than the WACA. Additionally, the WACA owns the WACA Ground, and it would be better for them financially, rather than trying to sell X amount of tickets to break even at Optus Stadium.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2005
NoR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
lakers, nufc, subi, colts
All cricket, where the demand doesn't exceed the WACA's capacity (~23,800), should remain at the WACA.

Can't see a Test, which isn't a popular format in 2019, against one of the minnows would warrant it at a venue larger than the WACA. Additionally, the WACA owns the WACA Ground, and it would be better for them financially, rather than trying to sell X amount of tickets to break even at Optus Stadium.
Do you think the 90000 that attended the test at optus would've all fronted up to the WACA if it was played there?

The WACA's capacity nowadays is more like 15,000 than 23,800!
Not according to the WACA itself.

https://www.waca.com.au/waca/waca-ground
Ground dimensions and capacity
The Ground is 149 metres in length and 139 metres wide. It can accommodate 20,592 attendees, or 23,859 with temporary seating.
https://www.waca.com.au/waca/waca-ground

Last seasons big bash crowds and first 2 days of the ashes test had crowds of 22,000. From the Austadium link below you will see the biggest crowds were back in 2006 of 24,175 and 23,312 for crowds since 2003 when Austadiums go back to.

The last 15 event days at the WACA has produced 10 days over 20,000 and one with 19,997.
https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums_crowds.php?id=131
1547092820341.png

What have they done post January 2018 to reduce it down to 15,000?

Perth Stadium should be use for England, India and South African tests. I don't know the stadium yield for cricket but a crowd of 18k~30k would be a more comfortable fit and you have many more options for corporates, if crowds are the main driver of the decision of where to play.

All tests outside the Christmas/New Years period should start on a Friday so that decent crowds rock up on Saturday and Sunday. Starting a test on a Thursday affects Saturday and Sunday crowds if the game is virtually over by Friday night or Saturday night.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
I would love to see cricket back at the WACA, its the spiritual home of cricket in WA and Optus feels incredibly soulless for cricket. Unfortunately the WACA as a facility is so incredibly dated and rundown that it makes no sense to host cricket there anymore. Optus is better for the fans, better for the players, better for everyone.

It's 2019, players should have access to the best facilities in the world and we've got them here in Perth.

I doubt Virat would've been happy taking an ice bath in a Sulo bin.

budge27

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Redskins, Northwestern, Dodgers

Mind you the BBL crowds have been nose diving fast from the start of the season at 40k to now 21.5k... I don’t see the last game next Sunday being much better than 20k. Everyone loves a winner and the Scorchers haven’t been that this season. I spose they now know what the upside is if they start winning again!

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Mind you the BBL crowds have been nose diving fast from the start of the season at 40k to now 21.5k... I don’t see the last game next Sunday being much better than 20k. Everyone loves a winner and the Scorchers haven’t been that this season. I spose they now know what the upside is if they start winning again!

BBL crowds have been nose diving across the board - not just in Perth.

La Dolce Vita

Club Legend
May 31, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

this pretty much happens with every sport

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
I’ve been wondering for some time what the actual capacity of Optus is for a while (the actual number, not the ‘more than 60,000’ line they throw out when asked). The

There’s nowhere to verify it, but an article by Braiden Quartermaine I found claims that VenuesLive list Optus Stadiums official capacity as 60,233.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Transport access to Perth Stadium has just improved for the new season

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-...tus-stadium-with-new-taxi-rank-ng-b881134095z

A public bus service between the Stadium and the CBD will now operate from a bus stop outside the stadium instead of across the bridge and a new bus route, the 665, will run from Kalamunda to Forrestfield and then Belmont.

Ms Saffioti said it had taken a while for Western Australians to get use to the public transport driven nature of the facility but 80 per cent of people were using it to get to events.

The “Uber ban” at Optus Stadium has been lifted with a new taxi rank near Matagarup Bridge in East Perth to include spaces for on-demand services.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Common sense changes. There was never a lot of demand for the bus services to Elizabeth Quay, especially when you had to walk to the other side of the river to catch them, and having a huge drop off and pick up area is a no brainer as well.

Although it's a bit silly to spruik a huge public transport take up rate given that for most spectators there's no other way to get there.

Back