hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I cannot imagine NZ drawing much interest.
Wouldn't this help the crowds? Therefore "hit a winner" by getting something they believe will increase it.

I don't think they'll get sellout crowds - I don't think they would in the last Aus-NZ D/N Test if it wasn't the first one either.
But it's the first one in Perth, and puts the game further into attendable hours for those at work, so it'll give it a boost.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Optus Stadium’s operating costs are going through the roof, with the WA Government now bracing for a $54.5 million blowout over three years.
A Treasury review of the stadium’s first year of operation has revealed that running costs will be far more than initially thought, resulting in the Government having to cough up millions of dollars in taxpayer dollars to keep it going.
Budget papers, released on Thursday, show that despite an expected additional $37.7 million generated over three years in event revenue, there will be increased expenditure of $54.5 million — equating to a $16.8 million shortfall.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/taxp...tadiums-operating-cost-blowout-ng-b881196240z

Not good, more info will be leaked out.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
A-League grand final won’t draw 60,000, so if they want to draw a crowd and create atmosphere, they need to price correctly. Cheapest tickets shouldn’t really be more than $30.

Glory boss not happy with the venue, & has put the acid on the FFA:
.... owner Tony Sage yesterday slammed the decision to shift his side to Optus Stadium for the A-League grand final next Sunday.

Mr Sage joked yesterday that when the Premier was consoling him during the tense penalty shootout: “I was wondering what the hell I was listening to him for. He doesn’t know anything about football.”

Mr Sage said it was a cash grab and would cost his side home ground advantage.
“The FFA want to maximise revenue for themselves. They don’t care what the clubs think,” he said.
“I’m a traditionalist. I want our home ground advantage.
“Optus Stadium becomes a neutral ground. That’s the way I look at it. That's the way the whole of the football department looks at it.”

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/why-perth-glory-boss-tony-sage-doesnt-want-the-grand-final-at-optus-stadium-ng-b881196267z

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Glory boss not happy with the venue, & has put the acid on the FFA:
.... owner Tony Sage yesterday slammed the decision to shift his side to Optus Stadium for the A-League grand final next Sunday.

Mr Sage joked yesterday that when the Premier was consoling him during the tense penalty shootout: “I was wondering what the hell I was listening to him for. He doesn’t know anything about football.”

Mr Sage said it was a cash grab and would cost his side home ground advantage.
“The FFA want to maximise revenue for themselves. They don’t care what the clubs think,” he said.
“I’m a traditionalist. I want our home ground advantage.
“Optus Stadium becomes a neutral ground. That’s the way I look at it. That's the way the whole of the football department looks at it.”

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/why-perth-glory-boss-tony-sage-doesnt-want-the-grand-final-at-optus-stadium-ng-b881196267z

Catch 22 situation.

Soccer can't afford to not take advantage of the big public interest of a Perth side hosting the final, I would expect they could draw upwards of 40k at Optus so would be madness to effectively close off the event. I know the Scorchers final at Optus after playing all season at the WACA turned to s**t from a results perspective, but surely in soccer the venue (which will be a highly parochial crowd regardless) plays less of an influence than in cricket where the pitch and boundary size changes.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
But it's the first one in Perth, and puts the game further into attendable hours for those at work, so it'll give it a boost.

Definitely agree it will give a boost. It would much better than the WACA.
Even so, IMO the crowds won't justify the new stadium it but maybe the deal is with the ratings.
N.Z. holds no attraction these days especially in the West.

42,000 tickets sold already.

Also interesting that apparently the stadium will not be in its rectangular configuration due to issues with the LED signage

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I assume rectangle mode means temporary seating is put on the grass and not parts of the stands move onto the grass like ANZ and capable of happening at Docklands, but only seen a handful of times or less.

Does LED issues, mean temporary seating will block LED signage not being seen on TV and therefore no advertising revenue??

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
I assume rectangle mode means temporary seating is put on the grass and not parts of the stands move onto the grass like ANZ and capable of happening at Docklands, but only seen a handful of times or less.

Does LED issues, mean temporary seating will block LED signage not being seen on TV and therefore no advertising revenue??

Yeah there’s temporary seating basically extends level one another 5 rows down to ground level. If you’re not aware, in oval configuration the first row of seating is about 1.5m off the ground, not at ground level. The LED signage that’s currently on the boundary gets moved and replaced at the end of the temporary seating.

It was in rectangle mode for the NRL double header last year but apparently people had issues seeing over the LED signage that runs along the touchline of the rugby pitch from all reports. I wouldn’t have thought this would be an issue as the A-League normally super imposes the touchline LED signage on oval grounds.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Surely if they were to be putting stands in front of the fixed LED boards they can just put freestanding ones in front of the temp stands like they have done previously at AO etc?!
They may not fully intergrate with the system of screens and lights and LEDs but still!

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Surely if they were to be putting stands in front of the fixed LED boards they can just put freestanding ones in front of the temp stands like they have done previously at AO etc?!
They may not fully intergrate with the system of screens and lights and LEDs but still!

They already do that, that isn’t the issue. The issue is that people couldn’t see over the LED boards that run along the touchline of the rectangular pitch

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
42,000 tickets sold already.

Also interesting that apparently the stadium will not be in its rectangular configuration due to issues with the LED signage

Poor result, but it is in the middle of an AFL season OR its suddenly not a theory anymore?

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Poor result, but it is in the middle of an AFL season OR its suddenly not a theory anymore?
I've heard they will only use the drop in seats if ticket sales reach over 55,000. Makes sense, why install the extra seats if they're not required?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ll be interested to see if they fill it given their pricing structure. Saw members could buy third tier seats for $50 yesterday but fifth tier seats $80 for the general public. Try taking the traditional nuclear family, looking at more than $200.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
They already do that, that isn’t the issue. The issue is that people couldn’t see over the LED boards that run along the touchline of the rectangular pitch

That isn't an issue in rectangular stadia so when this venue is in rectangulat mode why would it not work?
Put freestanding LED boards flush with the fence at the front of the temporary stands. Just like at any stadium where row 1 is at field-level, they'll just look straight over them.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
1557985647196.png

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
That isn't an issue in rectangular stadia so when this venue is in rectangulat mode why would it not work?
Put freestanding LED boards flush with the fence at the front of the temporary stands. Just like at any stadium where row 1 is at field-level, they'll just look straight over them.

Because it's not rectangular as such. Rectangular mode is just a few rows of seating in front of the existing seats. It doesn't involve moving any permanent seats like Docklands, they just wheel some temporary seats in. It's still basically an oval shape, just slightly smaller and still a fair way back from the sidelines.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Because it's not rectangular as such. Rectangular mode is just a few rows of seating in front of the existing seats. It doesn't involve moving any permanent seats like Docklands, they just wheel some temporary seats in. It's still basically an oval shape, just slightly smaller and still a fair way back from the sidelines.
But put the LEDs flush in front of those seats and people can see over them.

Back