Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find diet talk fascinating as never had to or ever likely will have to engage one since metabolism means the adverse is my problem, basically been the same weight for 20 years regardless of any work or changes to arrest the fact.

Dieting is like, I respect the effort people go to, but NFI.

Ask any Italian.
I was the same until I hit the metabolic wall around 35. Not to bang the keto drum too much, but it forces you to stop eating well before your stomach starts to hurt, unlike the high-carb I was on.

There's a point where you'll have to stop eating like you're still riding 30kms to and from work, plus the distance to footy/cricket training every second day cause your folks think degenerative hips and knees are healthy for a 15 year old.

Not going to 100% rule out long-term effects, but the first thing ringing alarm bells in that study is that almost 70% of the food (as mass) they gave the rats was solely cacao butter.

That's like assuming that the 70% fat is all bacon fat or all olive oil. Nobody consumes solely one type of fat, particularly cacao butter. You'd have to drink litres of the stuff every week.

Besides, 6 rats over 4 months is hardly the strongest sample size.

Again, not claiming it's 'deboonked', but this is a proponent of keto breaking down the materials used in that same study:

Its funny how we all focus on what we want to focus on! I guess thats human nature! What i opened that last comment with was regarding if one had a healthy heart to begin with. I dont think there is any doubt that KETO is not for those that have issues with their heart to begin with...that is all!

Its funny how we all focus on what we want to focus on! I guess thats human nature! What i opened that last comment with was regarding if one had a healthy heart to begin with. I dont think there is any doubt that KETO is not for those that have issues with their heart to begin with...that is all!
Absolutely. Any drastic change of diet should be run past a practitioner in case of unforseen consequences etc.

I've seen all sorts of reasons why it's good / bad put forth in various ways, but as far as I can tell, no-one has done sufficient long-term study. For example, they've found that a failing heart relies more on ketones for available energy. Seems completely counter-intuitive a destructive protein would be used naturally in that particular scenario.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just skeptical of the headline put forth from a 'plant-based' source regarding 'meats and animal products bad'.

My problem with diets is I’m either 110% committed or I’m eating terrible sh*t all the time.
Once I slip up, that’s it. I count calories, hit ideal macros etc. I get too obsessed with it, I end up mentally fatigued and slipping up for a weekend then giving up.
Last lockdown I went "* it may as well use the time properly" Ramped up the exercise and cut down on stuff like beer.
It kind of worked until I had a rest after the covid jab.

I find diet talk fascinating as never had to or ever likely will have to engage one since metabolism means the adverse is my problem, basically been the same weight for 20 years regardless of any work or changes to arrest the fact.

Dieting is like, I respect the effort people go to, but NFI.

Ask any Italian.

My islander genes mean if I pass within 50m of a bakery I put on a kilo.

My islander genes mean if I pass within 50m of a bakery I put on a kilo.

My love of carbs mens that I would rather starve the go keto. We know a guy that does full on keto and eating at his place is like a nightmare. His food makes me want to gag thinking about it.

I've started doing the no food past 7pm that someone suggested on here and have tried to eat less processed stuff and lost about 4 solid kilos but it's similar to keto in that I don't crave food that I don't really like like avocados and fresh fruit. Alcohol over the Christmas/New Years period has been the worst though. I reckon I'll pile them back on. I'm pretty sure over indulgence at Dan Murphy's over lock down is what lead to this.

My love of carbs mens that I would rather starve the go keto. We know a guy that does full on keto and eating at his place is like a nightmare. His food makes me want to gag thinking about it.

I've started doing the no food past 7pm that someone suggested on here and have tried to eat less processed stuff and lost about 4 solid kilos but it's similar to keto in that I don't crave food that I don't really like like avocados and fresh fruit. Alcohol over the Christmas/New Years period has been the worst though. I reckon I'll pile them back on. I'm pretty sure over indulgence at Dan Murphy's over lock down is what lead to this.

My trouble is that once i hit the booze, i feel like a snack.
The booze puts me into "who gives a *&^%" mode.

I don't know how you guys want me to moderate this. The rules are clear and laid out in the first post. We have established that COVID is too touchy a topic to openly discuss on our board.

I think it's a bit unfair to expect me to ignore those rules and then crack the shits when they're enforced. That's not reasonable, it puts me in position where whatever I do I am criticised.

I don't want to give out warnings. I don't want to have to argue with anyone. I left the initial posts, deleted the ones after it gave you guys a heads up, and then it continued. What do you expect me to do given the rules are laid out already? Just puts people in unnecessary positions and potential arguments for the sake of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how you guys want me to moderate this. The rules are clear and laid out in the first post. We have established that COVID is too touchy a topic to openly discuss on our board.

I think it's a bit unfair to expect me to ignore those rules and then crack the shits when they're enforced. That's not reasonable, it puts me in position where whatever I do I am criticised.
All good with me delete if not right

All good with me delete if not right
I left your first post out of respect pretty much, it hadn't been discussed for ages and one post shouldn't hurt but if the conversation continues down that path I have no other option. It's not even a personal thing it's just that I look like a hypocrite if I let it continue.

Deleting posts, warning people and getting into arguments is the last thing I want to do especially with people I think I get along with.

I left your first post out of respect pretty much, it hadn't been discussed for ages and one post shouldn't hurt but if the conversation continues down that path I have no other option. It's not even a personal thing it's just that I look like a hypocrite if I let it continue.

Deleting posts, warning people and getting into arguments is the last thing I want to do especially with people I think I get along with.
All good
I knew i shouldn't have put it there but it was a strange day with both daughters having what we can't speak about

I don't want to give out warnings. I don't want to have to argue with anyone. I left the initial posts, deleted the ones after it gave you guys a heads up, and then it continued. What do you expect me to do given the rules are laid out already? Just puts people in unnecessary positions and potential arguments for the sake of it.
Agree George. However too touchy for whom?
Surely these adults can self regulate and exclude themselves from a discussion on the largest topic on planet earth if it’s too much for them to handle.
I get that it is a footy forum first and foremost, but there’s value in a multitude of “off-topic” subjects discussed on BigFooty.
Valuable opinions and insights to be shared.
I always found it laughable that the few ruin it for the many, commonplace pretty much everywhere these days.

All good
I knew i shouldn't have put it there but it was a strange day with both daughters having what we can't speak about
All good mate I actually feel for you and also part of the reason I left it up, I think I'd look like a emotionless w***er if I deleted it. I just don't know how I could've managed this specific situation and not pissed anyone off. Makes me look like an arsehole either way.

Agree George. However too touchy for whom?
Surely these adults can self regulate and exclude themselves from a discussion on the largest topic on planet earth if it’s too much for them to handle.
I get that it is a footy forum first and foremost, but there’s value in a multitude of “off-topic” subjects discussed on BigFooty.
Valuable opinions and insights to be shared.
I always found it laughable that the few ruin it for the many, commonplace pretty much everywhere these days.
I would assume that they could self regulate but they couldn't, and that's pro vax just as much as anti vax, I'd go as far as to say the pro vaxxers on here are more aggressive. Either way both groups couldn't help themselves, I admit I got sucked into it too. It was pretty clear by the end of it that we weren't responsible enough to discuss it, so we did what we did and closed it off.

There's places on BigFooty that you can discuss it, so if you really want to you can. I just can't trust anyone to discuss it respectfully on here as evidenced before, and I don't want to deal with complaints about it ruining the forum like we had before.

Maybe we can have it back one day but there's a lot of energy that I spend wasting on here once it kicks off

All good mate I actually feel for you and also part of the reason I left it up, I think I'd look like a emotionless w***er if I deleted it. I just don't know how I could've managed this specific situation and not pissed anyone off. Makes me look like an arsehole either way.

I would assume that they could self regulate but they couldn't, and that's pro vax just as much as anti vax, I'd go as far as to say the pro vaxxers on here are more aggressive. Either way both groups couldn't help themselves, I admit I got sucked into it too. It was pretty clear by the end of it that we weren't responsible enough to discuss it, so we did what we did and closed it off.

There's places on BigFooty that you can discuss it, so if you really want to you can. I just can't trust anyone to discuss it respectfully on here as evidenced before, and I don't want to deal with complaints about it ruining the forum like we had before.

Maybe we can have it back one day but there's a lot of energy that I spend wasting on here once it kicks off
Understood. I’d never discuss such delicate subjects on the main board with common scum, it’s big-brained Saints or bust for me.

Just do what you have to do and don't worry about it

But be warned I'm locked down for 7 days with nothing to do but drink and post on BF LOL, be gentle with me LOL

Understood. I’d never discuss such delicate subjects on the main board with common scum, it’s big-brained Saints or bust for me.
I'm sorry we can't, I know how obviously front of mind it is for everyone. This place is just less aggressive and less stressful for everyone if we stick to footy, for now anyway. I'm open to bringing these discussions back but I need to trust the majority won't ruin it.

Just do what you have to do and don't worry about it

But be warned I'm locked down for 7 days with nothing to do but drink and post on BF LOL, be gentle with me LOL
Haha I gotcha

Just noticed old mate Gringo has been suspended , how long for ?

Just noticed old mate Gringo has been suspended , how long for ?
One week but it wasn't my intention, the way the bans work is if you accumulate enough warning points over a 12 month period it triggers a ban when you reach 5 points (one week), 10 points (two weeks), 15 points (three weeks) and 20 points (permanent).

Gringo had an old warning there and the one I gave him put him over 5 points and triggered the week off. The warning I gave him was worth 3 points so on it's own wouldn't have put him over, but I just didn't check his history before giving it.

I've PM'd him offering to overturn it if he can keep this stuff on topic

One week but it wasn't my intention, the way the bans work is if you accumulate enough warning points over a 12 month period it triggers a ban when you reach 5 points (one week), 10 points (two weeks), 15 points (three weeks) and 20 points (permanent).

Gringo had an old warning there and the one I gave him put him over 5 points and triggered the week off.

Well that sucks this joint will be boring for the next week

until the other day I had never mentioned Covid19 on here but its a bit different when its your kids like gringo and myself, you just need an outlet sometimes

Hopefully its overturned soon

Gringo had an old warning there and the one I gave him put him over 5 points and triggered the week off. The warning I gave him was worth 3 points so on it's own wouldn't have put him over, but I just didn't check his history before giving it.

His poodle will be thankful, finally taken for a walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back