Discussion The NEW Random Discussion Thread. (No Politics, No Religion, No COVID-19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Joffaboy

Hall of Famer
Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
OK I want to discuss something that is more about our perspective and what we are led to believe by our own bias and the algorithms of SM and how they can send us down a Rabbit hole.

This is not a political post or about the infectious virus of unknown origin as I know that are taboo subjects however they both play a part in my post.

**mods please feel free to delete if you do think it has strayed into the voldemort subjects.

The basis of the post is ignorance and understand and our view of the world based on our SM feeds.

Many see many people in the South of the USA as uneducated, low IQ far right fools who sit around watching Fox News and spreading conspiracy theories, or so the old stereotype goes.

This has been seen as reason on why many in the South won't get vaccinated. However the view is a stereotyped trope. I will explain what I mean.

I watch a lot of you Tube 'current affairs' vids. One was discussing this topic. Well the host of one was talking about the real reason many wont believe the pharma companies.

Has everybody heard of the Perdue Pharma opioid case? Well they were in part responsible for the massive opiod epidemic in the US that has resulted in thousands of deaths and countless ruined lives and destroyed communities many in the underprivileged south.

The pharma companies knew it was addictive but pushed it and blamed it on the underprivileged in the south and blamed it on them for being rednecks (Hillbilly Elegy is a good reference).

Nobody has been punished, nobody has gone to jail, the Perdue family has moved out $4.5 billion out of the company responsible so nobody can get any compensation.

The covid pandemic comes along and the government comes out and want's these same people and communities to trust the same companies who deliberately got them addicted, and wrecked their lives for profit AND with no consequences, with taking a vaccine. In those circumstances who wouldn't be hesitant?

But this is more about ourr own perspective and everything is not with me or agin me. There is much more to a story than the bland tropes we are presented with. It is our duty to hunt down these stories and reasons to just rely on the media to spin a clickbait story with only one side.

As I said this is not about a virus of someones political views, but an example of common ground and more to a story than we are presented with by our SM echo chambers.

Mowman

Premium Gold
May 19, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not one direct tag in any of these posts. Typical. Sorry that I have a life, dweebs. I'm out enjoying the sun and getting compliments on the symmetry of my pectorals while you bottom feeders mash your keyboards and stuff your faces of Doritos and Mountain Dew in your mothers basements.

Like a pack of star-nosed moles, you live in the dirt and stench and only stick your heads out when you think it's safe. Let me tell you busters, it's never safe around here. Believe that.
No good tagging you it was after 8.00 pm

jwikked

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Many see many people in the South of the USA as uneducated, low IQ

This trope has a basis in reality, but not quite for the reasons people think.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/how-a-worm-gave-the-south-a-bad-name/

I agree with the rest of your point. It’s important to understand why people believe what they believe, I don’t think “othering” them and denigrating people is a good move. Dehumanizing groups has never ever ended well in history.
No matter what you’re talking about, pretty much everyone just wants to do what they believe is best for them and their family. Mistrust in the government by some communities isn’t a shock, and neither should be mistrust in Big Pharma, which until 2 years ago had a seriously poor reputation and was getting worse.

Geary Is GOAT

Premiership Player
May 4, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Many see many people in the South of the USA as uneducated, low IQ far right fools who sit around watching Fox News and spreading conspiracy theories, or so the old stereotype goes.

This outlook is also why Democrats are so unelectable in parts of the South. They treat people living there with absolute disdain and then wonder why they don't vote for them.

I hadn't heard of the Perdue Pharma specifically though - obviously aware of the opioid crisis though. It's an interesting link to draw and probably quite true in certain towns and cities in the South and their lack of vax.

gringo2011

Premium Platinum
Nov 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Stuff you should know did a great podcast on this. Check it out.

African Americans also very hesitant after being experimented on for years. Look t the Tuskagee experiment. The US has some really bad historical crimes against their own people in the name of capitalism and a lot weren't that long ago.

Dard Ball Get

Premiership Player
May 23, 2016
W.A
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
76ers
Look at everyone playing nice!! 😍
1641887620114.gif

Stan_Darsh72

100% Hemp
Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
African Americans also very hesitant after being experimented on for years. Look t the Tuskagee experiment. The US has some really bad historical crimes against their own people in the name of capitalism and a lot weren't that long ago.
Reading about Smedley Butler was a real eye opener.

jwikked

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
The CIA doesn't answer to anyone. MK Ultra is another one, they were testing on the Unabomber, Sirhan Sirhan and some weird connections to Charlie Manson too. Then you have Operation Midnight Climax where they would dose unsuspecting men with LSD when they were visiting prostitutes to see what would happen.
Not to mention their foreign interference, directly resulting in overthrowing Governments. I wonder what Iran would be like today, if the CIA hadn't gotten involved.

It would not surprise me one bit if the CIA was behind the JFK assassination.
Say what you will about Trumps obsession with the 'Deep state', but CIA is as deep as it gets.

George

Aug 17, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles, Liverpool, PAO
Yeah it’s weird. It’s weird to me that anyone would DM a player at all, whether it’s nice or not. They aren’t your friend, why do it? It just seems inappropriate.

Then again, some would say giving negative feedback on players on here would be inappropriate.

Jake Carlisle liked one of my tweets about him a few years ago, it made me feel like a creep for some reason lol
I shouldn't have said I never understand why people do that, the longer you work around people the more you notice most people are just weird. DM'ing anyone with a blue tick is real nuffy behaviour. I think there's a difference between forum and direct message but even still some players do get on BigFooty and all our posts are public, so taking a second before going at a player might be the difference in them doing something seriously bad. I can't say I'm without fault there either, I've been critical of players in the past. I will say not to the level that we see from a few on here but I'm not exempt. May be a good lesson for how we post in future.

Mowman

Premium Gold
May 19, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great result for Cam Smith on the USPGA tour and Matt Jones 3rd, 23 under in 36 holes amazing stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geary Is GOAT

Premiership Player
May 4, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
The CIA doesn't answer to anyone. MK Ultra is another one, they were testing on the Unabomber, Sirhan Sirhan and some weird connections to Charlie Manson too. Then you have Operation Midnight Climax where they would dose unsuspecting men with LSD when they were visiting prostitutes to see what would happen.
Not to mention their foreign interference, directly resulting in overthrowing Governments. I wonder what Iran would be like today, if the CIA hadn't gotten involved.

Say what you will about Trumps obsession with the 'Deep state', but CIA is as deep as it gets.
You also wonder what half the countries in South America would look like today if they were actually allowed to profit off of their own natural resources and not be turned into right wing dictatorships every time one of them decided to nationalise their resources industry.

Australia's ASIS is just as bad too. They were directly ordered to stop operations in Chile by Whitlam and straight up ignored him until Pinochet was installed as dictator.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Sun Ra

Team Captain
Sep 26, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda

bergholt

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad