Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I need a new phone and I have no desire to get an iPhone Does anyone here not use an iPhone? Have used Samsung and think I will continue on with them.

My Oppo seems fine.
To me the top of the range Samsung's are very good , but when you get to their lesser models you can get more bang for your bucks from other brands.

To me its getting crazy when some of the phones cost more than a gaming laptop.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
My Oppo seems fine.
To me the top of the range Samsung's are very good , but when you get to their lesser models you can get more bang for your bucks from other brands.

To me its getting crazy when some of the phones cost more than a gaming laptop.
I feel like phones are lasting a lot longer these days. They used to have new features every time but now they’re the same thing but slightly faster. A phone from 4-5 years ago does exactly what a new one does now.

If you're in the market for a flagship tier phone, the Pixel 6 is very impressive. I've got the Pro and it's been awesome

Ended up going for it as work colleague agreed with this sentiment, just gotta wait for telco to ship it to me.

In other news, out of an 8 hour shift, managed 51mins as the rest was with IT tech. Gotta love it, I exist again! v2.0 bitches.

So, I need a new phone and I have no desire to get an iPhone Does anyone here not use an iPhone? Have used Samsung and think I will continue on with them.
Never used an iPhone, last couple have been Samsungs and have served me well, but as above I've just upgraded to the Pixel 6 Pro and it's very nice.

I'm one who'll hold onto a phone for 3-5 years so I can sort of justify the purchase of the higher end ones to myself. the Pixel 6 (non-pro) is very good value for what you get by all reports though.

I feel like phones are lasting a lot longer these days. They used to have new features every time but now they’re the same thing but slightly faster. A phone from 4-5 years ago does exactly what a new one does now.

In the beginning the operating system and apps outgrew the storage on early phones.
My son had one with 8GB storage. The sd card expansion hardly ever worked well for running apps. He used to install the one game he wanted to play, if he wanted to play another he'd need to uninstall the first one.
The clock speeds also struggled to run the phone firmware if you had any apps going.

Ignoring features and mobile support ( 3g , next g etc)

2009 Samsung Galaxy. 8Gb storage. 528 Mhz clock. 128Mb ram.

2010 Galaxy S. Storage 2-16 Gb 1 Ghz clock ( twice as fast ) 512 Mb ram ( 400% more ).

2011 Galaxy S2. Storage 16 or 32 Gb. Dual core 1.2Ghz or single core 1.5. 1Gb Ram.

2012 Galaxy S3. Storage 16, 32, or 64Gb. Quad Core 1.6Ghz Up to 2Gb Ram.
------------------------

So in 4 years , after you rushed out to buy the great new galaxy, your broke mate who had to save up has a phone that has 8 times the storage, while you can hardly hold 1 or 2 apps. His runs more than 4 times faster, and can have a heap of apps open while using the phone, because it has 8 times the RAM.
In fact the 2009 phone will hardly run.

2016 Galaxy Storage 32, 64, or 128Gb. 8 core at 1.5Ghz. 4Gb Ram.
So the 4 year newer one is still better, but if you bought a high spec version in 2012, its holding its own.
The new one is faster, but not twice as fast.

---------------
Now.

Storage 128 -256 Gb , but many people still opt for the 128. ( Storage in phones is a ripoff, we only need to look at SD card prices to see the real value).
2.2Ghz clock speed. So a bit faster.
8, 12, or 16Gb RAM.

Chef Ratts

Cancelled
Sep 6, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Terrifying experience for the lads in the dinghy at Port Beach. Sounds like the swimmer wouldn't have known too much about it. Such a calm day there too, ocean like a lake. Have heard rumours there was a Great White AND a Tiger. FMD. Unlucky. 😕

Terrifying experience for the lads in the dinghy at Port Beach. Sounds like the swimmer wouldn't have known too much about it. Such a calm day there too, ocean like a lake. Have heard rumours there was a Great White AND a Tiger. FMD. Unlucky. 😕

The lads in the dinghy were brilliant all things considered, at least swimmer wasn't "alone" and got everyone out of the water ASAP despite literally being within reach to both assist direct or be second lunch, and to also alert authorities immediately despite being traumatised to all hell.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
god dam 62 in a 50 zone $277 and 1 point
seen the camera and thought I'm fine doing 60 LOL
The constantly changing poorly signed roads make it very hard to avoid occasionally getting it wrong. Locally I know the limits so no problem but if you weren’t local there are several spots you’d really struggle 60 - 40 - 50 - 40 in a pretty short strip with no school.

The constantly changing poorly signed roads make it very hard to avoid occasionally getting it wrong. Locally I know the limits so no problem but if you weren’t local there are several spots you’d really struggle 60 - 40 - 50 - 40 in a pretty short strip with no school.
100 % agree

Just watched it again. You might be right actually. Impersonator /"comedian" - more hair than GAS ever had.
Yeah it's a comedian lol but funny all the same. Wonder what Gaz thought.

You know, as I look back on my life and reflect on all the people I have lost, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps I wasn’t meant to be a tour guide.

Back in the 90s I did a trek in Thailand through the golden triangle and along the border of Burma. The tour guide called himself John Lennon, he told us his tour was very highly rated because he'd only lost 3 people in the last year. He'd forgotten about one more though.

Sep 26, 2021
Saturn
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Back in the 90s I did a trek in Thailand through the golden triangle and along the border of Burma. The tour guide called himself John Lennon, he told us his tour was very highly rated because he'd only lost 3 people in the last year. He'd forgotten about one more though.
Are you saying he faked his murder in 1980 ? WTF ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back