Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the bulk of what you’re saying, with the exception of your view of Rogan, and point #7.
Rogan is easily meme’able, however I can’t think of another interviewer who has the spectrum of guests he does - and, for the most part, let’s them speak uninterrupted. Nor does he try to avoid being “out of his depth”, refreshing from the usual subject change or cutting short by other talking heads when they don’t know or agree with what is being said.
Point 7 is true, however shouldn’t be limited to Tucker etc, it’s is for all aspects of media and their representatives.

Yes this is true about Rogan having all types of guests on. I just don't find him appealing, my particular tastes.

Carlson and Maddow were the examples the two guests gave so I ran with those but agree it is for all aspect of the media.

Wow appreciate you posting that.
My observations (which are ptretty shallow)

1) Too bad this was on Rogan whom I can't stand, has to put his anti vax anti health message in with a dog whistle to the 'deep state/big government' conspiracy to take over all of our lives while completely having that superficial PoV demolished by his guests, i.e it isn't the government but the SM algorithms that are the existential threat.
2) China censoring their tik tok to influence them in a vocational direction. On the surface good but it is what they are directing them to which my cause long term problems.
After Mao's cultural revolution all 'intellectuals' had been purged as 'enemies of the people' or similar commo culture war BS. When it came to working out a strategy for population control it was developed by a rocket scientist who were the only intellectuals left under Mao (need them to make better killing artifacts after all). The sociologists had either been purged and the few that remained were drowned out by Party propaganda. The result in 2021 is huge social problems cause through the one child policy, 50 million more males than females that will never marry, single kids need to look after both sets of parents (no social welfare in China) and their own children, people who lose their one child are ostracized from their villages when old because they can't contribute.
3) On the surface the 5 second delay seems reasonable and may work to curtail binge scrolling.
4) the Chinese military having their devices locked down, while seeming frightening, is really what has been done to the military for ever. Propaganda against the enemy. Western militaries need to do the same.
5)Their points on information infiltration (they are speaking about the US but any western democracy) is a great point. Maybe the 40 billion we are spending on subs may have been better deployed to stop this infiltration.
6) They make a great point that democracy is under threat because we value liberty and are not keen to limit SM while authoritarian regimes can do so at will, they have a real advantage over democracies.
7) The most frightening point they made is where the likes of Maddow or Carlson will be 'appealing to the algorthim' so only the negative and most destructive of their 'opinion' will be picked up.

Maybe we need to do what Bill Barr says. Don't go on to SM for the backlash and comments and everthing seems to be the way things always have been. You don't hear the criticisms or rantings of disembodied views. Apart from Insta where I get nice earth pics, and pictures of cats and dogs, of and Celeste Barber, I very rarely use SM. Sometime FB, but have dumped that sewer of wokeness and backlash, Twitter, and I have not regretted it for a second.

Did I mention Rogan was so far out of his depth he needed to call a lifeguard?
I've said it before but I wish there was an Icon to add to a post called 'Interesting!' with an identifying emoji! I don't enjoy saying I like something when its not what I'm feeling...however sometimes it deserves a degree of interest despite the limitations therein!

I've said it before but I wish there was an Icon to add to a post called 'Interesting!' with an identifying emoji! I don't enjoy saying I like something when its not what I'm feeling...however sometimes it deserves a degree of interest despite the limitations therein!
Yeah good point, as I said just my shallow observations. Just another nobody with an opinion on everything like everybody who can type ;)

I have to say Danni Laidley has some big balls (pardon the pun) to come out in public. Good on her and North for just getting on with s**t. No matter what your political viewpoint is it would take a fair amount of bravery to front up and the club and ex players seem to have got around her.

I have to say Danni Laidley has some big balls (pardon the pun) to come out in public. Good on her and North for just getting on with sh*t. No matter what your political viewpoint is it would take a fair amount of bravery to front up and the club and ex players seem to have got around her.
I don't mean to keep liking your s**t but you just keep putting fwd sentiments that I can't help but agree with. Hey not all the time...but more often than not! Brava Danni!

Tim Paine :O

I mean, it was 4 years ago but still... You're the captain of Australia. Control yourself.
Do you think it might have been the soft option..that CA and the rest of Australia wanted to give him the 'Joe ROOT' anyway...and at least this way he saves face from a Cricket perspective and nothing much more said...old news...nothing that much in it...just not Captain material...despite all the 'good' work he's done! Thing is does he now deserve a place ? Not in my opinion! No doubt 1000's of others think differently but not many more than that I should imagine! Quite fascinating!

Tim Paine :O

I mean, it was 4 years ago but still... You're the captain of Australia. Control yourself.

Eh, I mean sure but takes two to get to that stage via text and it's only an apparent issue when no longer employed and claims of theft are a thing.

Kinda makes me think of Duthie a bit, only with more nuance to sit on it for a few years instead of youthful exuberance? To then get with Tricky?

Do you think it might have been the soft option..that CA and the rest of Australia wanted to give him the 'Joe ROOT' anyway...and at least this way he saves face from a Cricket perspective and nothing much more said...old news...nothing that much in it...just not Captain material...despite all the 'good' work he's done! Thing is does he now deserve a place ? Not in my opinion! No doubt 1000's of others think differently but not many more than that I should imagine! Quite fascinating!

Nah, Inglis, might as well just ween him outta there and distance entirely at this stage. Then again, I also think adding Renshaw to the A squad was a laugh as the man has done didly squat for a long time.

If you believe the scuttlebutt one of the English tabloids got hold of the Paine story and was gearing up to run it the day before the test.

CA just got on the front foot and moved him on.

Just the world we live in.

CA could have come out, backed him in, told the world that they investigated and found no wrong doing in terms of HR/policy. Morally? Sure, but he's not broken any rules and he's the best cricket mind.

But he's been held up as an example of being "better than", especially when it comes to some of the rat bags in the team.

I don't think he holds his place now. Carey or Inglis in. Cummins as skipper with plenty of advice coming from Smith in the slips.

If you believe the scuttlebutt one of the English tabloids got hold of the Paine story and was gearing up to run it the day before the test.

CA just got on the front foot and moved him on.

Just the world we live in.

CA could have come out, backed him in, told the world that they investigated and found no wrong doing in terms of HR/policy. Morally? Sure, but he's not broken any rules and he's the best cricket mind.

But he's been held up as an example of being "better than", especially when it comes to some of the rat bags in the team.

I don't think he holds his place now. Carey or Inglis in. Cummins as skipper with plenty of advice coming from Smith in the slips.
Do you think Tim Paine deserved his spot beyond being captain? I'm not sure he does. I'm not sure how he's captain after last years performance. I get that there isn't a standout replacement, but he's nothing special (in my opinion)

It was 4 years ago he didn't do anything illegal

Wish we held our politicians to the same standards we hold our sportsman to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wheel of Time TV series launches this weekend, for those who are interested in something more 'epic' than Mafia/Underground series V̅.

Don't fall into the trap of comparing it to Game of Thrones or Witcher.
I'm on episode 3 and not totally sold. The landscapes look amazing, though. Rosamund Pike is awesome in everything and this is no different.
I love the idea of releasing episodes one week at a time, I dunno how many episodes there are, but I'll keep watching. Hopefully Amazon sticks with the show long enough to complete the story.

I'm on episode 3 and not totally sold. The landscapes look amazing, though. Rosamund Pike is awesome in everything and this is no different.
I love the idea of releasing episodes one week at a time, I dunno how many episodes there are, but I'll keep watching. Hopefully Amazon sticks with the show long enough to complete the story.
Haven't checked it out yet, but will be doing so as I've been a fan of the books for decades now.

The first season covers the first couple of books, which are kind of comparable to the scope of Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Beyond that, it opens right up to encompass the entire universe.

Obviously it will remain to be seen how far they go, but there's a lot more story to uncover than the 'young person discovers powers' narrative.

It was 4 years ago he didn't do anything illegal

Wish we held our politicians to the same standards we hold our sportsman to
I find the whole thing ludicrous. They were consenting adults, no complaint was made until the employee was sacked, it was one off and didn't happen again.
It is between Payne and his wife what has it to do with anyone else?

Haven't checked it out yet, but will be doing so as I've been a fan of the books for decades now.

The first season covers the first couple of books, which are kind of comparable to the scope of Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Beyond that, it opens right up to encompass the entire universe.

Obviously it will remain to be seen how far they go, but there's a lot more story to uncover than the 'young person discovers powers' narrative.
I just got into Audiobooks, I finished the Lord Of The Rings a few weeks ago, and almost finished The Hobbit now. I've got Dune on my list but I think I'll chuck the first Wheel Of Time book on there too.
If anyone is interested in audiobooks, I highly recommend the Andy Serkis reading of The Lord Of The Rings. He is fantastic, he voices each character in a different voice and kinda emulates the voices of the characters from the movies. His Gollum is awesome.

I just got into Audiobooks, I finished the Lord Of The Rings a few weeks ago, and almost finished The Hobbit now. I've got Dune on my list but I think I'll chuck the first Wheel Of Time book on there too.
If anyone is interested in audiobooks, I highly recommend the Andy Serkis reading of The Lord Of The Rings. He is fantastic, he voices each character in a different voice and kinda emulates the voices of the characters from the movies. His Gollum is awesome.
Necroscope is another series that was given good service on the audiobook front. The Stand was also done pretty well back in the day if you're new to that because of the recent TV series.

If you go all the way down the rabbit-hole with Wheel of Time on audiobook, that's a lot of hours. Each book was between 600-1100 pages.

I have to say Danni Laidley has some big balls (pardon the pun) to come out in public. Good on her and North for just getting on with sh*t. No matter what your political viewpoint is it would take a fair amount of bravery to front up and the club and ex players seem to have got around her.

First female to have coached an AFL side, albeit not female at the time.
I thought Laidley did a good job as an assistant for the Saints as well.

Just watched the first episode and while there were some dubious story arcs compared to the source material, it's been pretty compelling. Nothing too offensive to fans yet.

If you need clarification on the story (spoiler-free) I'm happy to indulge.

Ah, one of those “wrestling” watchers are you? Explains a bit. A fair bit indeed.
You just wish you could pull the hoochies and have the peaks of a genetic freak like I do. Jealousy is a curse bub, it's unbecoming of you.

You just stick to drooling over your golfing idol Akshay Bhatia, one of the most genetically deficient athletes of all-time.

akshay-bhatia-las-vegas-2019-aem-promo-crop.jpg

You just wish you could pull the hoochies and have the peaks of a genetic freak like I do. Jealousy is a curse bub, it's unbecoming of you.

You just stick to drooling over your golfing idol Akshay Bhatia, one of the most genetically deficient athletes of all-time.

akshay-bhatia-las-vegas-2019-aem-promo-crop.jpg
1637324593830.png

George ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back