Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robbo on 360 wanting Rutten head
Show turned into bombers 360 hour
Rutten is looking unsteady in his press conferences. As Robbo said, "Hird has unfinished business at Essendon".
Enough said. Bring on the Rapture.

I just found out a long term friend of my parents have a grandson playing for the Suns.
I'd noticed the name before but never realised it was the same family.
They are retirement age, so every winter now they are practically living at the goldcoast.

My Parents can be proud too. My kids are good at video games, so they tell me.

I just found out a long term friend of my parents have a grandson playing for the Suns.
I'd noticed the name before but never realised it was the same family.
They are retirement age, so every winter now they are practically living at the goldcoast.

My Parents can be proud too. My kids are good at video games, so they tell me.

esports players probably out-earn the real sportsmen in AFL.

I wish to ask this in good faith, and not because it matters in the slightest, but, is it the case that St Kilda disproportionately attracted Melbourne's Catholic population as supporters? I read that on this forum once and wonder why that was so? Was it just the demographic of the city?

Last edited:
I wish to ask this in good faith, and not because it matters in the slightest, but, is it the case that St Kilda disproportionately attracted Melbourne's Catholic population as supporters? I read that on this forum once and wonder why that was so? Was it just the demographic of the city?

I think it may have been geographic. We also have a big Jewish fan base due to post war settlers in the area.

I think it may have been geographic. We also have a big Jewish fan base due to post war settlers in the area.
Yes, an interesting piece of history, cheers. So I assume St Kilda was traditionally a working class area where lots of immigrant communities settled?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From which 'Good Faith ' are you asking it? LOL!!:D I'm not sure we even know its a fact...I was under the impression it was a guestimate.....of sorts!

Yes, an interesting piece of history, cheers. So I assume St Kilda was traditionally a working class area where lots of immigrant communities settled?

It was a grand old victorian seaside resort that fell on hard times and became a centre for vice and nightlife. It had musicians, artists, junkies, prostitutes and heaps of live music venues. It was pretty mental back in the day. Like everywhere it's pretty sterilised and gentrified now but post war it got a big influx of mainly Jews and Eastern Europeans. It had lots of delis and cakes shops like you were in Budapest or something. It used to have a bit of character.

We also got the middle class catholic set when we moved to Moorabin which is more of a wall to wall suburb of nearly identical houses built from the 1950s to 1970s. You couldn't have got more of a contrast of suburbs. So we had a lot of arty types and conservative types all following the Saints in a weird harmony.

It was a grand old victorian seaside resort that fell on hard times and became a centre for vice and nightlife. It had musicians, artists, junkies, prostitutes and heaps of live music venues. It was pretty mental back in the day. Like everywhere it's pretty sterilised and gentrified now but post war it got a big influx of mainly Jews and Eastern Europeans. It had lots of delis and cakes shops like you were in Budapest or something. It used to have a bit of character.

We also got the middle class catholic set when we moved to Moorabin which is more of a wall to wall suburb of nearly identical houses built from the 1950s to 1970s. You couldn't have got more of a contrast of suburbs. So we had a lot of arty types and conservative types all following the Saints in a weird harmony.
Cheers for the info. What about other clubs, are some more middle class and some more working class, and do various immigrant communities in Melbourne follow a particular club? I have a notion Carlton supporters are regarded as more affluent?

Over here, Tottenham Hotspur have a reputation for attracting a lot Jewish fans because there is a large Jewish community in North London. However, it seems to be more of an image than a reality; many fans of the other London clubs say Spurs don't have more Jewish than others as a proportion of support.

Cheers for the info. What about other clubs, are some more middle class and some more working class, and do various immigrant communities in Melbourne follow a particular club? I have a notion Carlton supporters are regarded as more affluent?

Over here, Tottenham Hotspur have a reputation for attracting a lot Jewish fans because there is a large Jewish community in North London. However, it seems to be more of an image than a reality; many fans of the other London clubs say Spurs don't have more Jewish than others as a proportion of support.

Carlton have a lot of Greek and Italian heritage fans, also the second most Jewish fans. It was a grand old victorian suburb that filled with immigrants from the post war period. It's little Italy with Italianate architecture. It was the rich era between slums of Collingwood and Fitzroy when footy started. Collingwood was proper working class and still has that base. Footscray was an area of factories and industry and are similar.

Essendon was the other wealthy north suburb and are middle class. Hawthorn is an upper middle class suburb and have the most tory fans. Melbourne are made fun of as a blue blood club but it's not really true. They just have some fans that hold Melbourne Cricket Club membership which were elite clubs once.

Richmond again was working class but above the Pies and Dogs. South Melbourne which is now Sydney were sort of lower middle class as were North Melbourne.

Geelong as it's own city team have all sorts.

Oh and Footscray have a very modern multicultural mix. They had lots of Vietnam war immigration so had a big asian contingent thatbgrew up following them, they have big African communities there and North Melbourne also have that and court those followers.

Hawks tried to get the affluent Asian communities involved and have quite a large Indian community. We had quite a lot of Sri Lankans move to Bentleigh next door to Moorabin who follow us and have a bigger bayside zone now which is pretty WASPy. I know a lot of French people followed us as there is an Alliance Francaise in St Kilda and they got confused and got us dumped on them. Perhaps a bit of Paris St Germaine as well.

Essendon have a pretty big Middle Eastern fan base as they have a lot of the rich ones move there from surrounding poorer suburbs.

Oh and Footscray have a very modern multicultural mix. They had lots of Vietnam war immigration so had a big asian contingent thatbgrew up following them, they have big African communities there and North Melbourne also have that and court those followers.

Hawks tried to get the affluent Asian communities involved and have quite a large Indian community. We had quite a lot of Sri Lankans move to Bentleigh next door to Moorabin who follow us and have a bigger bayside zone now which is pretty WASPy. I know a lot of French people followed us as there is an Alliance Francaise in St Kilda and they got confused and got us dumped on them. Perhaps a bit of Paris St Germaine as well.

Essendon have a pretty big Middle Eastern fan base as they have a lot of the rich ones move there from surrounding poorer suburbs.
Footscray also smells like s**t. No wonder Franco Cozzo left.

Carlton have a lot of Greek and Italian heritage fans, also the second most Jewish fans. It was a grand old victorian suburb that filled with immigrants from the post war period. It's little Italy with Italianate architecture. It was the rich era between slums of Collingwood and Fitzroy when footy started. Collingwood was proper working class and still has that base. Footscray was an area of factories and industry and are similar.

Essendon was the other wealthy north suburb and are middle class. Hawthorn is an upper middle class suburb and have the most tory fans. Melbourne are made fun of as a blue blood club but it's not really true. They just have some fans that hold Melbourne Cricket Club membership which were elite clubs once.

Richmond again was working class but above the Pies and Dogs. South Melbourne which is now Sydney were sort of lower middle class as were North Melbourne.

Geelong as it's own city team have all sorts.
Interesting when you have so many clubs in the one city, all living side by side. It's quite a unique situation. The amount of soccer teams in London is the only comparison I know of.

Footscray also smells like s**t. No wonder Franco Cozzo left.
MUFKilda Franco Cozzo for reference.

Guy was massive in the 80s and 90s. Maybe Australia's biggest or most popular furniture salesman.

Interesting when you have so many clubs in the one city, all living side by side. It's quite a unique situation. The amount of soccer teams in London is the only comparison I know of.
Think of Victorian AFL clubs as European countries. Completely different supporter bases and cultures amongst clubs that are all within 25km of each other

Yeah, when I first went to London it freaked me out how there were so many clubs so close together. We grew up watching BBC repeats of English television. When I got to London I could believe how small it all seemed. As a kid London seemed like a huge metropolis from a distance. It's like going to Amsterdam and realising this little town ran world trade and controlled half of Asia.

Yeah, when I first went to London it freaked me out how there were so many clubs so close together. We grew up watching BBC repeats of English television. When I got to London I could believe how small it all seemed. As a kid London seemed like a huge metropolis from a distance. It's like going to Amsterdam and realising this little town ran world trade and controlled half of Asia.
Small? A city of 8 million. It terrifies me, just so crowded. I couldn't live in London. Cities like Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow are much my preference. Big enough to have everything you want but not too big and crowded.

There are millions of Victorians living outside your little old fashioned Melbourne monopoly board.
If you think they are focusing on their home turn for followers , they are either stupid or you are wrong.
There is a reason Melbourne went with Casey.

There are 15000 people who live in North Melbourne.
How big are you suggesting the African community is?

Melbourne have a large proportion of immigrants, and i think your method for stereotyping the followers of footy teams is kind of simplistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back