The new Shiel deal & his kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL salary cap integrity down the toilet again.

Just another form of cheating

The Essendon footy club were unrepentant about their systemic doping regime and the AFL did their level best to sweep things under the rug and minimise the damage.

So why would anyone be surprised about them colluding over salary cap cheating?

Culture.:rolleyes:

Free agency was only going to work fairly for all clubs if the AFL was transparent about player salaries and vigorously policed the salary cap. But it’s quite clear from all the side deals which players are able to make that the salary cap rules are toothless and the current system is a farce.

But what do you expect from an organisation that ticked off the Buddy Franklin deal, effectively stealing him away from Hawthorn and paying him millions on the side to be the AFL ambassador & public face of footy in Sydney.

The AFL is a shitty corrupt competition where the people in charge just make up the rules as they go along.

Didnt Buddy approach Sydney or was it Liam Pickering, he wanted out of the Hawks, & you NEED to blame it on the AFL,

Didnt Buddy approach Sydney or was it Liam Pickering, he wanted out of the Hawks, & you NEED to blame it on the AFL,
During the 2013 season, Andy Demetriou was quite open about Franklin being eligible for "ambassador" payments if he chose to work hard for it and be the face of AFL footy in Sydney/NSW

It was a financial inducement outside of the salary cap to leave Hawthorn (and coming from the AFL, if ya don't mind... How is a club supposed to compete with the AFL and stay within the rules? Franklin was a restricted free agent, but there was never a chance that Hawthorn could've matched the money on offer while staying within the rules and playing the AFL's rigged game)

Buddy's 10 year deal with Sydney wasn't the only deal he signed.

long-winded anti-AFL rant & melt over Buddy
:smallredtriangledown::smallredtriangledown::smallredtriangledown:
Of course, at the time, when Demetriou spoke about Buddy becoming a potential AFL ambassador, we all thought he meant Buddy following the Gary Ablett path and becoming the superstar for the AFL's start-up franchise. The way Franklin pulled a swifty on Hawthorn and the AFL and chose the Swans leads me to think deals were made, contracts were signed and Buddy got the best of both worlds. The fact he has been used so heavily in the promotion of the game in Sydney (to the exclusion of every other player) gives me no reason to think he isn't getting huuuuge money from AFL on the side.

The AFL paid MILLIONS to Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau, for f**k's sake... Why wouldn't they pay the game's most exciting & marketable superstar to play for one of their Sydney franchises? Plugger & AFL did exactly the same thing in the mid 90's. There was his playing contract which was big. And then there was the massive money he got on the side from the AFL which set him up for life.

Ablett got $2 million a year to play for the AFL Suns. Buddy could've got at least that much to play for the AFL Giants. So why would he choose to play for $800k-$1mill over the first few years of his "mega" contract? It makes no sense. Unless he was also getting an extra $1mill a season from the AFL (or via murky 3rd party deals)

I don't begrudge Franklin for taking the money and running. I just think the AFL is a joke the way they s**t in the faces of Hawthorn, Geelong and St Kilda fans by luring away once-in-a-generation superstars to play for their shitty plastic franchises up north purely to promote clubs that nobody really cares about.

I'm a big boy. I was pissed off about it for the next 12 months. It helped when the Hawks thrashed Sydney and won the 2014 flag. But when the AFL talk about the "grass roots" and the "fans", I just think of all the thousands of little kids who had Buddy's, Gazza's and Plugger's numbers on the back of their jumpers and how crest-fallen they were to see their heroes leave.

The AFL don't give a s**t about the "fans". They just want more money. Channel 7 needs big marquee names to play for the northern clubs so people will tune in. The Swans have been their success story. People are happy to watch them and cheer on Franklin and see how many goals he'll kick. You probably have to be a Hawthorn fan to notice the complete 180' difference in how he is now treated by the AFL media. Everyone loves him these days now that he's a Swan. Makes a change from his Hawthorn days when Bad Boy Buddy couldn't do anything right and had the media on his back over EVERYTHING he did.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is Andrew Welsh's form? At best, he was a good ordinary player. Managed to eke out a decent career. Dicked Paris Hilton. Now worth $121 million.

Good luck to him, I'm not bagging him as he has obviously done well, but I think the relevant question here is how much was his family worth before he entered the business?

He didn't exactly start with nothing

The Bombers cheating again. They really can't help themselves.
There is a mildly amusing aside here.. Big Joe was touch and go to get a game last week, Scott was preparing his game plan with him playing and the Northerners were begging for Big Joe the potatoe fronting up for the game against the shinboners.
Fast forward, Joe gets a late call up for the game, North get humiliated and suddenly all we hear are the bleatings and feeble cries of North telling the world they've been ripped off.
You can't have your cake and it eat too.

Good luck to him, I'm not bagging him as he has obviously done well, but I think the relevant question here is how much was his family worth before he entered the business?

He didn't exactly start with nothing
He could just as easily blown whatever head start he was given; instead he's kicked on big time.

How is Andrew Welsh's form? At best, he was a good ordinary player. Managed to eke out a decent career. Dicked Paris Hilton. Now worth $121 million.

Being worth $121m is impressive, not too many people can accumulate that sort of wealth.
The other career highlights not so much, there's been heaps of guys that have played 162 games of AFL, and there's been heaps of guys who have...........
Anyway, good luck to Dylan.
And for those of you knocking the Judd deal, thanks for playing your part in the melting of the polar ice caps.

Whether it’s cheating again or just the start of a slippery slope of ‘deals for the new recruits’ it just shows a certain level of arrogance towards the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back