Opinion RIP Skinny Martyn's old monuments

Jun 21, 2016
Australia's Most Haunted Town
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Adelaide Giants
Found some of my old photos, taken circa 2004 on my first pilgrimage to Arden St.
Very disappointed to hear the statues were ditched!

View attachment 333270

View attachment 333271

View attachment 333273

How do you even 'dispose' of something like that... are they confirmed destroyed? maybe someone rescued them?
Nice one. Cheers for the photos.

Still waiting for more details to find out the full story on this and the off chance that maybe they are still sitting in a yard somewhere.

Jun 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Adelaide Giants
The "receptionist" responds to this email?? That's disappointing in itself.

The whole thing is pretty disrespectful.
Very true.

I get a mental picture that with the second email I sent, that has been forwarded to the relevant department, that there's some scrambling going on in the background!

hotham

NMFC 1869
North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jan 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eels
I can't say that i'm suprised that the monument holds no value to the 'club'. I have memories of Bryan Martin digging the hole for the momument and talking to him about why he chose to construct it. I'm old school so doesn't sit well with me.

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm just wrapped your concern was considered so importantly and elevated to receptionist level Roozee.

As if you'd want or need a higher level of response.

hotham

NMFC 1869
North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jan 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eels
The "receptionist" responds to this email?? That's disappointing in itself.

The whole thing is pretty disrespectful.
Give her a chance she could be CEO in 12 mths.

Christ, It's a receptionists job to filter through the chaff and pass on relevant information to the right area or answer it themselves wherever possible.

This kind of stuff doesn't need to go straight to the CEO, they have better things to be doing.

Jun 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Adelaide Giants
I'm just wrapped your concern was considered so importantly and elevated to receptionist level Roozee.

As if you'd want or need a higher level of response.
I'll shoot the messenger if I have to! udon'.png

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Adelaide Giants
Christ, It's a receptionists job to filter through the chaff and pass on relevant information to the right area or answer it themselves wherever possible.

This kind of stuff doesn't need to go straight to the CEO, they have better things to be doing.
The relevant department is just fine. Clearly the receptionist wouldn't be in the know on the finer details of something like this.

No need to exaggerate.

The relevant department is just fine. Clearly the receptionist wouldn't be in the know on the finer details of something like this.

No need to exaggerate.
Mate, it's not an exaggeration.

You contacted the club, the receptionist answered your query to a point that I see is adequate for general inquiries.

You weren't happy with the answer and pushed further and they passed it on to someone that may have a more in depth knowledge of the subject.

But people are making the receptionist out to be useless and making comments about how the club is run based on a receptionist answering inquiries when in fact this is exactly how it should be done.

There's no need for someone with the knowledge of (say) a CEO to answer random emails when someone down the chain can be doing it.

Jun 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Adelaide Giants

Mate, it's not an exaggeration.

You contacted the club, the receptionist answered your query to a point that I see is adequate for general inquiries.

You weren't happy with the answer and pushed further and they passed it on to someone that may have a more in depth knowledge of the subject.

But people are making the receptionist out to be useless and making comments about how the club is run based on a receptionist answering inquiries when in fact this is exactly how it should be done.

There's no need for someone with the knowledge of (say) a CEO to answer random emails when someone down the chain can be doing it.

Ummm....yeah. That's an exaggeration. No-one else other than you suggested this doesn't need to go straight to the CEO and I or anyone else that I can see was not thinking that.

Someone down the chain will be dealing with it. Just not the receptionist.

And for what it's worth I have no problem with the receptionist answering my query. She has done her job.

Apart from the fact that the receptionist stuff is tongue in cheek which you have taken way too seriously it seems that some people actually feel strongly enough about this matter that it should be answered and/or dealt with at a higher level. Not the CEO - just the relevant department.

Even if Skinny Martyn's contribution has been consigned to the scrapheap, at a bare minimum, one would hope that there exists a complete photographic record of the plaque, with all the names intact for posterity's sake. As for where it should be displayed, there are multiple options.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Yes.

Like the 24 pack of Sausage Rolls for the Members Function in July.

SnowyontheTram

Senior List
Sep 13, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is shocking and disgusting if the monument has been 'disposed' of.
For a true Shinboner like Skinny Martyn to donate his blood, sweat and tears deserves so much more.
Understand if it could not be kept at Arden St, but to dispose of it?????
I have a laminated Picture Memorial of Skinny Martyn that the club were giving out when he died - from the same reception that overlooked that monument.
How we have lost our way and forgotten what it means to be a Shinboner.

shinboner_99

Off the Bench
Feb 9, 2002
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North
Just Guessin' but I'd be surprised if the Martyn family weren't consulted before the decision to dispose of it was taken.

Back