The New Simpsons

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the newer ones, they're cleaver, and up to date with the times.

Put on an episode from season 5, 6 or 7 and you're not even aware it was 1994. Mostly because those episodes weren't so much about pop culture and actually had an original story to it.

Put on an episode from season 5, 6 or 7 and you're not even aware it was 1994. Mostly because those episodes weren't so much about pop culture and actually had an original story to it.

I think the 1994 animations might give it away a little bit :p.

I gotta admit, while it's not as good as the first 10+ seasons, I have liked the first couple of episodes of season 20. My favourite one so far is probably the one where Bart and a rich kid that looks like Bart swap.

The series died as soon as Homer
1) crossed from being merely stupid to being a complete moron
2) homer stopped being at the power plant to give the writers more scope
3) Homer started getting injured for laughs. Especially they seem to target him getting hurt in the eye - yuck.

I would stretch the golden age to season 8.

to the start of season 8. Season 7 had some classics like Homer being the beer baron etc.

It probably jumped the shark in the "The Principal and the Pauper" episode in Season 8 (the one where Skinner is found to be the "fake" Skinner etc) - from that point on you knew the writers were completely out of ideas and it declined sharply from there, more misses than hits.

to the start of season 8. Season 7 had some classics like Homer being the beer baron etc.

It probably jumped the shark in the "The Principal and the Pauper" episode in Season 8 (the one where Skinner is found to be the "fake" Skinner etc) - from that point on you knew the writers were completely out of ideas and it declined sharply from there, more misses than hits.

I don't believe that the show had a moment where it jumped the shark. I know it has declined but I don't think you can pinpoint a moment or an episode. That was just a very poor episode. I think the earlier episode with the blind guy and the dog was just as poor. The moment it jumped the shark was probably when a a lot of writers from season 4-8 got burnt out and left and not a particular episode.

The principal and the pauper was season 9. To me the moment I knew it was in decline was the first episode of season 10. That was after a couple of poor episodes (almost non-Simpsons like) at the end of season 9 (except for the trash one).

However now when they re-run newish episodes I don't have high expectations and I can enjoy them, even some of the quotes are pretty memorable.

That was season 8, mate. Season 8 was their best season IMO.

Classics such as:

"You Only Move Twice", Frink Grimes episode, Beer Barron and the Sideshow Bob and Cecil episode where Cecil tries to blow up Springfield Dam.

I still enjoy the new Simpsons episodes. Not as funny and as clever as the old Simpsons, but after 20 seasons I don't expect them to be as good as before.

Jump the shark moment was probably maude dying
Behind the laughter was the last really good ep think, but most of thats season and previous was good, altho it was certainly on a downward spiral by then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was season 8, mate. Season 8 was their best season IMO.

Classics such as:

"You Only Move Twice", Frink Grimes episode, Beer Barron and the Sideshow Bob and Cecil episode where Cecil tries to blow up Springfield Dam.

I still enjoy the new Simpsons episodes. Not as funny and as clever as the old Simpsons, but after 20 seasons I don't expect them to be as good as before.

that series had the Hank Scorpio ep as well I think - best series by a mile

One of the key differences between golden age Simpsons and the modern slosh is their target demographic has changed. When we were all younger the Simpsons was aimed at teenagers/people in their 20s. So the jokes were smarter and the writing was more solid because it had to be. Then somewhere around 1999/2000 that all changed, and the show became essentially a dressed up G-rated show aimed at 6-year-olds. The jokes are pathetic, the stories are utterly asinine and the characterisation is so different to what it used to be that it's hardly the same show. They've reduced Homer into being something so different to what we grew up on, now he's stupid for the sake of it to make a 6-year-old laugh. Before he was dim but at least it was funny.

Thats honestly the best summation of the decline of the quality of The Simpsons. Great insight.

"Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat."

You mentioning that episode has now made me think I should lobby for my department to get some business hammocks. :thumbsu:

My all time favourite episode is season 9 (?) The City of New York versus Homer Simpson.
I also agree with the OP, the simpsons are nowhere near what they used to be.

I thought season 9 was pretty good actually. Some classic episodes in there, the carny episode, bart ruins christmas, city of new york, Joy of Sect for example. Season 10 shows decline, but for me its 11 onwards where it gets a bit consistently average.

Ive watched, maybe two new episodes since 2005. It's dissapointing, but after so many seasons,the well was bound to dry up at some stage.

I'm in the minority but I actually don't mind that episode. But in some ways I view it as the beginning of the show's downfall as it was the start of the zany/silly plot-lines that have ruined the show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back