The Newcastle United plan for global domination.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Newcastle United are now the richest club in the world. They have cash to spend on achieving elite status in the Premier League and Champions League. But currently they find themselves in 2nd last place in the EPL without a win to their name. What should be their plan over the next few years?

I think the first step should be to appoint a new coach with a priority of avoiding relegation. A change of manager often turns results round and clearly Steve Bruce is not the man for the job long term. Stevie Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Antonio Conte have been mentioned. But I reckon they should appoint someone like Sam Allardyce until the end of the season.

They need to make some significant signings in January but I don't think they should splash huge amounts of money at first. The Newcastle area is not an attractive part of the world to entice players to. And top players might not want to sign for a club playing lower EPL and no Champions League as it might diminish their chances of selection for the upcoming World Cup.

In the short term they need a prolific goalscorer, an attacking midfielder, a defensive midfielder and a solid CB. Perhaps guys who are not playing for top teams, or on the outside at top clubs.

Potentials on the shopping list might include - James Tarkowski, Simon Kjær, Kalvin Phillips, Wilfred Ndidi, Kevin Strootman, James Ward-Prowse, Donny van de Beek, John McGinn, Conor Gallagher, Mikkel Damsgaard, Davy Klaassen, Edison Cavani, Anthony Martial, Jamie Vardy.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Newcastle United are now the richest club in the world. They have cash to spend on achieving elite status in the Premier League and Champions League. But currently they find themselves in 2nd last place in the EPL without a win to their name. What should be their plan over the next few years?

I think the first step should be to appoint a new coach with a priority of avoiding relegation. A change of manager often turns results round and clearly Steve Bruce is not the man for the job long term. Stevie Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Antonio Conte have been mentioned. But I reckon they should appoint someone like Sam Allardyce until the end of the season.

They need to make some significant signings in January but I don't think they should splash huge amounts of money at first. The Newcastle area is not an attractive part of the world to entice players to. And top players might not want to sign for a club playing lower EPL and no Champions League as it might diminish their chances of selection for the upcoming World Cup.

In the short term they need a prolific goalscorer, an attacking midfielder, a defensive midfielder and a solid CB. Perhaps guys who are not playing for top teams, or on the outside at top clubs.

Potentials on the shopping list might include - James Tarkowski, Simon Kjær, Kelvin Phillips, Wilfred Ndidi, Kevin Strootman, James Ward-Prowse, Donny van de Beek, John McGinn, Conor Gallagher, Mikkel Damsgaard, Davy Klaassen, Edison Cavani, Anthony Martial, Jamie Vardy.

You forgot Divock Origi. Available for 30m, PL & CL winner. Belgian international. Still just 26 years old.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Potentials on the shopping list might include - James Tarkowski, Simon Kjær, Kelvin Phillips, Wilfred Ndidi, Kevin Strootman, James Ward-Prowse, Donny van de Beek, John McGinn, Conor Gallagher, Mikkel Damsgaard, Davy Klaassen, Edison Cavani, Anthony Martial, Jamie Vardy.
Throw in Maddison and get some PL experience sorted first

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
They will be forever the poster turds for hollow victories.

Even if they win something significant they gain no respect from doing so. Only the bootlickers and dullard plastics will rejoice.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
They will be forever the poster turds for hollow victories.

Even if they win something significant they gain no respect from doing so. Only the bootlickers and dullard plastics will rejoice.
1634632547515.png

knob heads

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
I’d be looking at Werner and Donny first up. Perhaps entice Sterling with an offer he can’t say no to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
they're going to overpay for players who are not too much better than what they have but are still an improvement. they're not even a solid midtable/top half club right now. no top manager wants to be the first to take on these roles and top players follow top managers

Going to be interesting to see how they go about it. Probably two rebuilds required. First full of mid level, established players with experience in the league. Use them to get out of a relegation scrap and pushing towards top 4.

Once that happens look for younger, probably more expensive but with great potential.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Going to be interesting to see how they go about it. Probably two rebuilds required. First full of mid level, established players with experience in the league. Use them to get out of a relegation scrap and pushing towards top 4.

Once that happens look for younger, probably more expensive but with great potential.

Yeah it's different to when the Abu Dhabis took over at City. City were a mid-table club whereas Newcastle have only 3 points from 8 games. I think Kompany was already there then they signed Robinho before the window closed. Ideally Newcastle would sign a number of solid performers in January that see them safe this season and be part of an improved squad that pushes on next season. It depends on how much cash the new owners throw at the club. If they offer silly wages they might be able to attract a couple of stars.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
These are PL players I would target for NUFC:

GK: Henderson, Pope
DEF: Alonso, Lamptey, Christensen, Chalobah, Dunk, Tarkowski, Sessegnon, Tsimakas
MID: Sterling, Lingard, Dele, Sarr Ward-Prowse, van der Beek, Neves, Hudson-Odoi, Rice, Phillips, Bissouma (if not in jail)
FOR: Werner, Calvert-Lewin, Martial, Toney

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
These are PL players I would target for NUFC:

GK: Henderson, Pope
DEF: Alonso, Lamptey, Christensen, Chalobah, Dunk, Tarkowski, Sessegnon, Tsimakas
MID: Sterling, Lingard, Dele, Sarr Ward-Prowse, van der Beek, Neves, Hudson-Odoi, Rice, Phillips, Bissouma (if not in jail)
FOR: Werner, Calvert-Lewin, Martial, Toney

Not sure a sexual assault conviction would bother the Saudis.

Not sure a sexual assault conviction would bother the Saudis.
Bother?! Would need it to be televised to get proof.

"Perhaps the largest judicial drawback to these already troubling laws is the burden of proof the law puts on victims of any kind of sexual assault. A confession from the rapist, for example, as well as four adult male witnesses to corroborate the crime are necessary for the rape accusation to be considered."

Too bad if you only had 3 witnesses.. Imprisoned for adultery or similar.
Such a ****ed up part of the world.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Listened to a video last night which discussed Newcastle having £190m to sign players in January. Newcastle have a plan to win the league within 10 years and they are expected to be active in January. There are many variables including new sponsors, infrastructure spend to offset against FFP limitations which are not known yet. I have assumed that they will have £150m to sign players in the summer. Thought it would be a bit of fun to compare who each of us would buy if given the chance and tried to make it realistic. I don't expect Haaland to turn up in January for £190m.

January
Tariq Lamptey - £40m
Ruben Neves - £40m
Patrick Bamford - £45m
Jonny Evans - £10m
Aaron Cresswell - £15m
Dele Alli - £40m
Total Spend - £190m

1st Team after window:
---------------Dubruvka
Lamptey - Evans - Lascalles - Cresswell
----------------Neves
Ritchie ---------Willock-------Alli
-----Saint-Maximin---Bamford

Summer
Jesse Lingard - Free
James Tarkowski - Free
Franck Kessie - Free
Donny Van Der Beek - £30m
Raheem Sterling - £80m
Total Spend - £110m

1st Team after window:
---------------Dubruvka
Lamptey - Evans - Tarkowski - Cresswell
----------------Neves
Lingard -------Kessie-------Sterling

Bench: Alli, DVB, Callum Wilson, Willock, Lascalles, Shelvey, Ritchie.

This team would get a Europa League spot if they gelled next season imo. Who would you guys sign?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I'll go with Bojan KantKick's spending limits.

January
Leonardo Spinazzola £40m
Nampalys Mendy - Loan from Leicester
James Justin £20m
Simon Kjaer £15m
John McGinn £30m
Mikkel Damsgaard £30m
Jamie Vardy £30m

Total £165m

Vardy would be a tough deal to make but he is exactly the player Newcastle need. Make Leicester an offer they can't refuse and double his wages.

Summer
James Tarkowski - Free
Jesse Lingard - Free
Ousmane Dembélé - Free
Donny van de Beek £30m
Jude Bellingham £100m
Christian Eriksen £20m

Total £150m

Christian Eriksen is an interesting one. Serie A rules would prevent him playing while fitted with his implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD). He'd be foolish to have it removed. I don't know if Premier League rules allow it. Daley Blind plays in Ajax and for the Netherlands with his ICD. I'm sure the Saudis could bribe someone or have someone killed to make it happen.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Listened to a video last night which discussed Newcastle having £190m to sign players in January. Newcastle have a plan to win the league within 10 years and they are expected to be active in January. There are many variables including new sponsors, infrastructure spend to offset against FFP limitations which are not known yet. I have assumed that they will have £150m to sign players in the summer. Thought it would be a bit of fun to compare who each of us would buy if given the chance and tried to make it realistic. I don't expect Haaland to turn up in January for £190m.

January
Tariq Lamptey - £40m
Ruben Neves - £40m
Patrick Bamford - £45m
Jonny Evans - £10m
Aaron Cresswell - £15m
Dele Alli - £40m
Total Spend - £190m

1st Team after window:
---------------Dubruvka
Lamptey - Evans - Lascalles - Cresswell
----------------Neves
Ritchie ---------Willock-------Alli

Summer
Jesse Lingard - Free
James Tarkowski - Free
Franck Kessie - Free
Donny Van Der Beek - £30m
Raheem Sterling - £80m
Total Spend - £110m

1st Team after window:
---------------Dubruvka
Lamptey - Evans - Tarkowski - Cresswell
----------------Neves
Lingard -------Kessie-------Sterling

Bench: Alli, DVB, Callum Wilson, Willock, Lascalles, Shelvey, Ritchie.

This team would get a Europa League spot if they gelled next season imo. Who would you guys sign?
I like most of that. I'd go to the Ajax well for Mazaroui instead of a recovering Lamptey for maybe 20m less too. Not sure if Evans has much left, I'd look to Germany and guys like Ginter if they are gettable in January. Spend a little bit more to force it. Joe Rodon from spurs will likely angle for a move too if he isn't playing so he could be gettable in January for 20m.

In the summer I'd see what could be done with guys like Belotti. And maybe even trigger a release clause on a Mukiele or Kounde

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Some other January options could be making godfather offers to championship clubs for guys like John Swift, Ejaria, Harry Souttar, Rob Dickie, maybe even Jed Wallace. None of these guys would be starters for them when they are in Europe you'd think. But they are upgrades on what they have.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ll have a go at this for January.

Dean Henderson Loan
Kieran Trippier 12m
James Tarkowski 20m
Stefan de Vrij 50m
Robin Gosens 35m
Franck Kessie 20m
Donny van der beek Loan
Wout Weghorst 30m

I think the priority for Newcastle should be goalkeeper and defence for January. They need clean sheets. Dean Henderson almost single handed made Sheffield United a mid table team. He would be my first signing.
They need commanding center backs and leadership to help Lascelles and I don’t think Inter would turn down 50m for a 29 year old de Vrij. Tarkowski is another smart signing given his contract is running down.
I think Trippier is looking to return to England and he would be perfect for Newcastle. Pair him with Gosens and they have a great wing back pairing.
To fix the midfield and ensure Jojo Shelvey doesnt play for the club again, I would throw massive wages at Kessie and AC Milan will sell in January given he has 6 months to run on his contract. Van der beek on loan or permanent would also be a good signing. I think targeting players willing to get stuck in or something to prove would be smart.
Upfront they need a prolific goal scorer to help Wilson and I think Wout Weghorst would fit well as a big and small pairing. He’s been one of the best bundesliga goalscorers over the past 3 years. If they can send Joelinton the other way, it would even be better.

3-4-1-2
Henderson
Lascelles de Vrij Tarkowski
Trippier Kessie Van der beek Gosens
Saint-Maximum
Wilson Weghorst

Back