The next 4 weeks to determine Geelong's season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richmond definitely deserve credit for the season they're putting together from the compromised position they've been put in but I can't see them going deep this year either. Only caveat is if Dusty does finally make like Stella and get his groove back, because that's pretty much the difference between them having a competitive enough midfield or not.
Dusty IS back.

GWS worry me the most. Richmond, West Coast and Collingwood. I am not worried that these teams can bury us. GWS I think are they scariest team when they really get going. A lot of skills and hard to stop.

GWS worry me the most. Richmond, West Coast and Collingwood. I am not worried that these teams can bury us. GWS I think are they scariest team when they really get going. A lot of skills and hard to stop.

I agree. They have the gut running and combo of pace speed and skill to get on the outside and burn us at the G (see whitfield kelly williams taranto greene etc etc). I rate Collingwood and Richmond for contest footy but i am fairly sure our new forward press can shut down their attack and make the game an arm wrestle but im not sure that will work against GWS. I think we are a real chance at the flag this year but they are the team i worry about.

GWS have that absolute class around the ball that could burn us, unless we bring our absolute best intensity.
Pies/Richmond/WCE don't have that amount of class, plenty of their midfield drivers can be rendered ineffective with some pressure, but GWS requires huge pressure to shut them down at their best.
Personally as it stands right now I have the Cats pretty comfortably the best team in it, but it's only round 10.

GWS have that absolute class around the ball that could burn us, unless we bring our absolute best intensity.
Pies/Richmond/WCE don't have that amount of class, plenty of their midfield drivers can be rendered ineffective with some pressure, but GWS requires huge pressure to shut them down at their best.
Personally as it stands right now I have the Cats pretty comfortably the best team in it, but it's only round 10.
A bit too confident to say comfortably
Remember that if Pies didn't kick themselves out of it in our game, we would be sitting second now
Pies for mine are favourites at present and I hope it stays that way with GWS next in line
Richmond once they get their serious stars back could win this year too.
Let's go in as fourth favourites and shake a few peaches in the process

I thought the first six weeks was going to determine Geelong's season....

Its was a hurdle ... and fall at the first hurdle the season would basically have been determined..but we cleared it with space to spare.. We are now in a position that really should finish top two. Playing at the G the first week of the finals is probably our best chance of proceeding... although Id not be in a rapture if we were to play Rich and those jungle drums again when its our home game..

Playing at the G the first week of the finals is probably our best chance of proceeding... although Id not be in a rapture if we were to play Rich and those jungle drums again when its our home game..

What I don't understand, is that if we must a home game away from Geelong, why tickets don't go on sale for Geelong Members 24-48 hours before Richmond fans and the general public. It should just go:
  • Geelong Members - Monday morning 9am.
  • Richmond Members - Wednesday morning 9am.
  • General public - Wednesday morning 11am.
We should get the ability to get every Geelong member + 1 to the game before other tickets are sold to ensure it is a Geelong home final.

I'd much rather play every final at the MCG as opposed to Geelong. The MCG is where the premiership is won and the more exposure we get on the ground the better. Prior to this year, we've struggled there in recent times. Playing finals at the home of football is a privilege and we should embrace every opportunity to play there imo.

Not to mention the atmosphere is incredible, something Geelong could never replicate.

What I don't understand, is that if we must a home game away from Geelong, why tickets don't go on sale for Geelong Members 24-48 hours before Richmond fans and the general public. It should just go:
  • Geelong Members - Monday morning 9am.
  • Richmond Members - Wednesday morning 9am.
  • General public - Wednesday morning 11am.
We should get the ability to get every Geelong member + 1 to the game before other tickets are sold to ensure it is a Geelong home final.
Finals are in theory a 50/50 split. The AFL sets aside 50% of the seats in the general reserve (outside of MCC and AFL members areas) to each club.

In 2017, the Members pre-sale was 24 or 48h from memory. You needed a membership barcode to buy a seat. Think you could buy an additional 1 or 2 seats per barcode for non-members, but could be wrong. AFL allocated a club to each bay, so there would be about 3 or 4 bays in a row with one club, then the other etc.

Problem was, Richmond sold out their bays in no time flash. Geelong didn't (from memory, probably about 50% of their 50%). At the end of the pre-sale, you needed to enter a codeword to be placed in your clubs bay. CATS or TIGERS. Problem was, putting in TIGERS came up with 0 tickets, because in the members pre-sale, they were all sold. So richmond fans were putting in CATS and sitting in what the AFL had set aside for geelong fans.

Unfortunately for Geelong, they were coming up against a club with 100k members, let alone supporters on top of what was their first top 4 finish in a long, long time. With the game being scheduled for a Friday night over the Saturday, there was always going to be an imbalance of supporters, with many geelong fans living in Geelong unable to make the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit too confident to say comfortably
Remember that if Pies didn't kick themselves out of it in our game, we would be sitting second now
Pies for mine are favourites at present and I hope it stays that way with GWS next in line
Richmond once they get their serious stars back could win this year too.
Let's go in as fourth favourites and shake a few peaches in the process

Tend to agree with this subject to:
- The pies are just going right now - they could have lost to Sydney on the weekend gone. I wish we played them again in the season to test ourselves. One thing about the Pies is you know they will bring the pressure come finals time.
- Richmond are just getting it done also and it is very impressive. They remain a danger at finals.
- GWS, for some reason I fear them less, maybe its related to the MCG.
- WCE, are going about their defense of the league perfectly, under the radar.

This top 5 is as even as I can remember, which makes a top 2 finish all the more important. WCE at the MCG I fancy us in a qualifying final, WCE in the west is another story. We need to get top 2, play all games in Melbourne, and anything could happen.

- The pies are just going right now - they could have lost to Sydney on the weekend gone. I wish we played them again in the season to test ourselves. One thing about the Pies is you know they will bring the pressure come finals time.
- Richmond are just getting it done also and it is very impressive. They remain a danger at finals.

This top 5 is as even as I can remember, which makes a top 2 finish all the more important. WCE at the MCG I fancy us in a qualifying final, WCE in the west is another story. We need to get top 2, play all games in Melbourne, and anything could happen.
Same concerns.
Hoping richmond b graders burn out b4 a graders return

Tigers are absolutely the sleeping giant this year IMO. I can't believe everyone has written them off at various times this year. They are absolutely the team to beat IMO.

Tigers are absolutely the sleeping giant this year IMO. I can't believe everyone has written them off at various times this year. They are absolutely the team to beat IMO.

Don't see it at all.

Think they are behind the 4 main challengers in us, Pies, GWS and WCE, whom I expect to occupy top 4 come finals.

WC have to finish top two to be a chance and I don't think they can. They've strung a few wins together but haven't beaten anyone of note.

I think we will be much better prepared for GWS next time around.

Pies will be much better prepared for us next time around.

Can see those two results reversing if we happen to meet them again.

If I am ranking them in order it would be Pies, Tigers, GWS, WC

Just on the tiges too. I was reminded by the paper today that of the current top 8 sides, they have only beaten Freo.

This is what people are getting carried away with. They see the tigers up the ladder, and with their "mountains of injuries", whereas the fact is they haven't been as hit as other teams and they've beaten average teams along the way.
They are a rung below this year for sure.

Just on the tiges too. I was reminded by the paper today that of the current top 8 sides, they have only beaten Freo.

Loss to Collingwood by 44.
Loss to GWS by 49.
Loss to Bulldogs by 47.

Games against us, Adelaide (away), GWS, Collingwood and WCE to come.

Don't see it at all.

Think they are behind the 4 main challengers in us, Pies, GWS and WCE, whom I expect to occupy top 4 come finals.

I hope you're right. But they have been ravaged by injury, nothing has gone right for them so far and they still occupy 4th spot on the ladder. They are winning games and building nicely. They will peak at the right time unlike last year. Major threat imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back