Opinion The Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

People reckon Bianco is captaincy material but you would think he has to consolidate a spot first.

Would not mind Brodie as leader, it would help justify his pay packet and might galvanise his interest a bit. Moore skippered a lot of junior teams to flags but may have gone off footy too much since then. He also said when he first came to the club that captaincy is something he would like in the future but I get the vibes from people that he is not really that into footy. Sidebottom is said to be liked by the fellas but that incident a few years back may go against him.

Bet Tay will get it but it will not be a universally popular decision among the fans.
Bianco was captain of the Chargers, and has a lot of the right attributes, but, as you say, he needs to become a fixture in the team first. It would be a few years down the track if it happens. He showed this year that he has composure & the ability to come up with a goal when needed.
I think Adams is most likely the next cab off the rank. He may not be perfect, but he puts in 100%, which is a good example to follow.

Think it's gotta be Crisp.

Seems have great relationships with the young kids has them around for dinner and has Poulter live with him.

BnF winner has respect from the playing group.

Last edited:
Nick Daicos. If we're going to bury him under the weight of expectation let's go all the way.

But seriously, from the outside Darcy Moore would be my pick. But a lot would depend on how well regarded he is amongst the playing group.
Jack Watts.

Bianco was captain of the Chargers, and has a lot of the right attributes, but, as you say, he needs to become a fixture in the team first. It would be a few years down the track if it happens. He showed this year that he has composure & the ability to come up with a goal when needed.
I think Adams is most likely the next cab off the rank. He may not be perfect, but he puts in 100%, which is a good example to follow.
In Maxwell's first senior match it was clear to me he would be captain sooner or later.

I have not seen any player in the current group that is that definitive.
Maybe one of the next crop (this years debutants), which is why I think we should be looking for a "nightwatchman" like Boooooourns.

I love Sidey as a player, but he would be Captain by now if it was going to happen.

I would be happy with Bruzzy or Taylor, Both hard as cats heads, both train their arses off.
Both vital examples for the young squad we have.
A natural leader will rise out the pack for the long term role.

Not phased if Bruzzy or Taylor pinch a few flags on their watch though.

Think it's gotta be Crisp.

Seems have great relationships with the young kids has them around for dinner and has Poulter love with him.

BnF winner has respect from the playing group.

Agree Crisp should be a candidate for sure,
He seems very tight with the youngsters coming through.
Much rather it him than Adams/Grundy/Moore.

Was surprised to see the turnover numbers with Crisp neck and neck with Adams…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Grundy's overt me me me approach to contract negotiations and public toying with leaving back to SA and or declaring football isnt everything doesnt scream behaviours you want to model.
[/QUOTE]
you mean like the current captain just did

Adams.

you want your captain to 1) display leadership on the field and be able to lift the team 2) and behaviours you want the team to model off the field and 3) be on the field more than not.

Sidebottom under no circumstances. He should no longer be in the leadership group at all after the full tale of his exploits in last season's undiegate.

Grundy's overt me me me approach to contract negotiations and public toying with leaving back to SA and or declaring football isnt everything doesnt scream behaviours you want to model.

Moore is probably not yet displaying the durability you need.

Adams fits the bill.
Did you forget about Adams off field indiscretions?

If you're going to exclude Sidebottom then Adams needs to be excluded as well. Especially given he has more than one prior.

If you're going to exclude Sidebottom then Adams needs to be excluded as well. Especially given he has more than one prior.
Holy s**t, how long ago was that?

They're bonkers if Darcy Moore isn't made our next captain

Objectively the best choice

- Presents brilliantly
- Model citizen off field
- Brilliant player and sets an example on field
- Still young enough to be a long term captain but old enough to avoid a "too young" tag
- By all reports loved by the entire playing group

I
I was there that day the Melbourne supporters gave Jack Watts a polite round of applause, as he ran on to the ground for the first time and straight into trouble. It was a bad omen.
I have a lot of sympathy for Watts.
I cannot remember more pressure being applied to young shoulders int the AFL.
Melbourne should honour him in some way as a sign of respect and apology.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I

I still fondly remember his introduction to the AFL when 4 Pies gang-tackled him. Ump took pity on him and gave him a free for it, but was very funny stuff.

I

Melbourne won’t honour him. Watts represents their miserable past. It’s onwards and upwards for the Dees.
Let’s hope they’re a one hit wonder.

They're bonkers if Darcy Moore isn't made our next captain

Objectively the best choice

- Presents brilliantly
- Model citizen off field
- Brilliant player and sets an example on field
- Still young enough to be a long term captain but old enough to avoid a "too young" tag
- By all reports loved by the entire playing group
Wasn't there talk that Maynard did not like him.

I

Jack Watts Mad Monday Swimming & T*** extravaganza?

I watched the WC game again the other day and Adam's kicking was atrocious, wouldn't hit the side of a barn...because of this flaw in his game I feel uncomfortable about him being the next C, which is probably a little unfair!

I watched the WC game again the other day and Adam's kicking was atrocious, wouldn't hit the side of a barn...because of this flaw in his game I feel uncomfortable about him being the next C, which is probably a little unfair!
Agree. He needs to fix this flaw fast.

Darcy Moore, Jack Crisp contenders.

oh, he was 18.. long time ago, who hasnt been kicked out of a night club and arrested (for being drunk) between the ages of 16 to 21

The more you think about it, the more you realise that Scott Pendlebury has to remain captain for the rest of his career. He is still probably the best skipper anyway. Adams cannot hit the side of a barn, Crisp is ideal but does not seem to be considered, some people say that Grundy does not want the leadership burden and they want him back to his best form soon, Maynard has not been suggested by those in the know, while Moore is too woke.

The more you think about it, the more you realise that Scott Pendlebury has to remain captain for the rest of his career. He is still probably the best skipper anyway. Adams cannot hit the side of a barn, Crisp is ideal but does not seem to be considered, some people say that Grundy does not want the leadership burden and they want him back to his best form soon, Maynard has not been suggested by those in the know, while Moore is too woke.
For gods sake

Remove this Banner Ad

Back