The next Media rights deal (2023-?)

NoobPie

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
If We Are talking Free to Air, it will be between 7 and 9.

10 is done as far as i know, they were nearly bankrupt or in administration a couple of years back.

10 are now owned by CBS. I would say definitely not done

So who might be competing for these rights?

A lot of players I suspect

There are a lot more possibilities and options for the next rights and for all the things the AFL can be accused of mediocrity, creating competitive tension in tv rights negotiations hasn't been one of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
10 are now owned by CBS. I would say definitely not done

A lot of players I suspect

There are a lot more possibilities and options for the next rights and for all the things the AFL can be accused of mediocrity, creating competitive tension in tv rights negotiations hasn't been one of them
serious question....

what was your opinion on channel 10s coverage of the AFL when they had it?

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
Melbourne ratings for a Friday night games is usually one of the best rating programs each week. Very few programs bar the news and MAFS can match the regular audiences that AFL matches can bring. I’d say with the way FTA is going football will be more valuable to 7.
Need to make profit: https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/02/tough-ad-market-hits-seven-west-media-profit.html

No questioning interest/value of sport:
Our acquisition of the Cricket rights, at a lower cost per hour than the Tennis, has paid off with ratings exceeding our projections.

Not sure where 7plus video on demand fits into the jigsaw, competitor for kayo?

Gigantor

Brownlow Medallist
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
In an increasingly fragmented viewing market, for want of a better term, is anyone out there interested in reaching an almost guaranteed 1+ million viewers every week (often twice a week), for six months?

Someone will be interested.

Failing that, even if we assume the worst case scenario where absolutely no one wants to broadcast any sport, or they will only do it at zero cost (something already facing some sports in Australia), which professional sport in Australia is best positioned to broadcast itself and from the very first season of such arrangement, be guaranteed at least 500,000 paying customers, prepared to subscribe to that single sport?

Those subs will raise less revenue than current broadcast deals, yes, but then doesn't that sport now control all advertising dollars relating to the biggest professional sport in the land?

NoobPie

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
In an increasingly fragmented viewing market, for want of a better term, is anyone out there interested in reaching an almost guaranteed 1+ million viewers every week (often twice a week), for six months?

Someone will be interested.

Failing that, even if we assume the worst case scenario where absolutely no one wants to broadcast any sport, or they will only do it at zero cost (something already facing some sports in Australia), which professional sport in Australia is best positioned to broadcast itself and from the very first season of such arrangement, be guaranteed at least 500,000 paying customers, prepared to subscribe to that single sport?

Those subs will raise less revenue than current broadcast deals, yes, but then doesn't that sport now control all advertising dollars relating to the biggest professional sport in the land?

That's right.....(though I would say the game's reach would be over 2 million a week)

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Could nrl.com etc. really be woth c. $1 billion in the next 5 years?

Anyone wish to provide an estimate of the AFL's afl.com, & other digital assets?

NoobPie

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Could nrl.com etc. really be woth c. $1 billion in the next 5 years?

Anyone wish to provide an estimate of the AFL's afl.com, & other digital assets?
Nobody is going to do that, BBT. I suspect it is higher than the NRL's though.

Old Roy couldn't bring himself to acknowledge that the AFL has the jump on the NRL on this score too

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
Nobody is going to do that, BBT. I suspect it is higher than the NRL's though.

Old Roy couldn't bring himself to acknowledge that the AFL has the jump on the NRL on this score too
One thing to remember with digital rights is that not all digital rights are equal

Depending upon what offering both the NRL and AFL put together, valuations could vary significantly.

Hopefully what kayo is doing and what twitch is doing with other sports wakes the AFL up to move beyond its boring as dogshit arrangement with telstra

NoobPie

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
One thing to remember with digital rights is that not all digital rights are equal

Depending upon what offering both the NRL and AFL put together, valuations could vary significantly.

Hopefully what kayo is doing and what twitch is doing with other sports wakes the AFL up to move beyond its boring as dogshit arrangement with telstra
Well, given that this appears to be a hypothetical asset valuation then the "offering the NRL and AFL put together" is itself hypothetical....like for like it is hard to imagine the NRL digital assets are worth more than the AFL digital assets given the latter has far more traffic

"Rights" of course are a different thing again.

I would imagine that both the digital rights for the AFL and the NRL will be far higher next time around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I wouldn't discount the significant chance of an online streaming service being a major player in what goes down.
FTA is becoming less and less of an important player in sports broadcasting as more and more people are happy to pay for that content.

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
Well, given that this appears to be a hypothetical asset valuation then the "offering the NRL and AFL put together" is itself hypothetical....like for like it is hard to imagine the NRL digital assets are worth more than the AFL digital assets given the latter has far more traffic

"Rights" of course are a different thing again.

I would imagine that both the digital rights for the AFL and the NRL will be far higher next time around
Depends upon how it's packaged. Do they get all games, live only, how much of the AFL archive, who else can stream

Btw I'm not comparing to NRL. Just looking at it as an issue in isolation, as the AFL have been reluctant to give too much of the digital opportunity away (they had a dream for a long time of running their own digital offering)

NoobPie

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Depends upon how it's packaged. Do they get all games, live only, how much of the AFL archive, who else can stream

Btw I'm not comparing to NRL. Just looking at it as an issue in isolation, as the AFL have been reluctant to give too much of the digital opportunity away (they had a dream for a long time of running their own digital offering)

Yeah, so you are talking "rights" where as the article is talking about asset valuation (presumably of NRL.com). It is not clear exactly from the article what is meant by that

If you are talking rights than of course the value of the rights depends on what actual "rights" are included. That is axiomatic

I think though everything I have seen suggests the AFL has more to sell (i.e. greater subscriber numbers consuming more content

In terms of the Telstra app, it seems like the AFL had a 4 to 3 advantage over the NRL in terms of minutes consumed...

...but my understanding is the AFL.com / telstra live has far higher subscriber numbers than the NRL. The fact the streaming differential is lower is due to the fact that the AFL FTA arrangements mean that all (except a few SA and WA) games with non-Vic teams are broadcast into their home market and Victorian CH7 FTA is skewed heavily to bigger Victorian teams accordingly.

The biggest AFL game had double the minutes consumed as the biggest NRL game. The Kayo release from a couple of months ago tells a similar story

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
There was a story in the AGE early today saying Foxtel is losing subscribers at an alarming rate not picking them all up in kayo and running at a massive loss I wonder if will effect the next TV deal?

"Indeed, News Corp chief executive Robert Thomson called out Australia in his opening remarks, noting that the company’s overall performance was "affected by pronounced currency headwinds and a particularly sluggish Australian economy and property market".

The most troublesome Australian asset is undoubtedly Foxtel. It has been squeezed in a pincer of paying for expensive sports programming -in particular, cricket - and facing a relentless churn of customers away from its flagship subscription service.
This put pressure on revenue and costs. Revenue from Foxtel fell by 9 per cent (or 3 per after adjusting for currency effects) and its earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) slumped by $US32 million to $US81 million - driven by fewer broadcast subscribers and a hefty 14.4 per cent churn rate.
Foxtel is making up some of these losses by adding lower-paying customers to its two newer digital services, Kayo and Foxtel Now - but not fast enough, and in the quarter adjusted EBITDA fell by 28 per cent.
Structural decline
The former pay-TV monopoly is in structural decline, having been disrupted by new entrants into the video streaming space like Netflix and Stan, and more recently by Amazon Prime and Apple - all of which place intense pressure on the operating model of the traditional subscription TV product."

Last edited:

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
There was a story in the AGE early today saying Foxtel is losing subscribers at an alarming rate not picking them all up in kayo and running at a massive loss I wonder if will effect the next TV deal?

"Indeed, News Corp chief executive Robert Thomson called out Australia in his opening remarks, noting that the company’s overall performance was "affected by pronounced currency headwinds and a particularly sluggish Australian economy and property market".

The most troublesome Australian asset is undoubtedly Foxtel. It has been squeezed in a pincer of paying for expensive sports programming -in particular, cricket - and facing a relentless churn of customers away from its flagship subscription service.
This put pressure on revenue and costs. Revenue from Foxtel fell by 9 per cent (or 3 per after adjusting for currency effects) and its earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) slumped by $US32 million to $US81 million - driven by fewer broadcast subscribers and a hefty 14.4 per cent churn rate.
Foxtel is making up some of these losses by adding lower-paying customers to its two newer digital services, Kayo and Foxtel Now - but not fast enough, and in the quarter adjusted EBITDA fell by 28 per cent.
Structural decline
The former pay-TV monopoly is in structural decline, having been disrupted by new entrants into the video streaming space like Netflix and Stan, and more recently by Amazon Prime and Apple - all of which place intense pressure on the operating model of the traditional subscription TV product."
Imagine the value of sports media rights in Aus IF there was no Foxtel.

Top Bottom