The next Media rights deal (2023-?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rob

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2000
29,400
16,223
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
To be fair, I'm not sure if he had many other options but to renegotiate at that time, as it may have been the only real way they could gain any sort of financial security to allow them to confidentially move forward and restart (besides using an overseas loan).
For sure, but he renegotiated his way to a large drop in rights income, resulting in big cuts to (from what I understand) game development. What exactly did he do that was so sensational that another CEO wouldn't have done?

All this fawning only makes sense if he's in the pocket of the media, or at least certain media people.
 

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
2,586
1,477
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
For sure, but he renegotiated his way to a large drop in rights income, resulting in big cuts to (from what I understand) game development. What exactly did he do that was so sensational that another CEO wouldn't have done?

All this fawning only makes sense if he's in the pocket of the media, or at least certain media people.
The Sydney media love a bogan media tart like V'Landys and will give him plenty of space!
 

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
33,498
31,268
Scamander
AFL Club
Carlton
For sure, but he renegotiated his way to a large drop in rights income, resulting in big cuts to (from what I understand) game development. What exactly did he do that was so sensational that another CEO wouldn't have done?

All this fawning only makes sense if he's in the pocket of the media, or at least certain media people.
everything hinges on his decision to launch on May 28 - apparently the AFL and other sports were just sitting on their hands waiting for someone to show them the way.
 

Log in to remove this ad.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
29,516
11,068
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
9 & StanSport moving on the NBL - sure to be watched closely by all the other players including other sports.


'The NBL, which begins its delayed 2021 season on Friday night, is set to benefit from Stan’s entry to the sports market and jump from its current deal with SBS and ESPN, an advertising revenue sharing contract only, to potentially the most lucrative contract in the league’s 42-year history

SBS and ESPN’s contract expires after the upcoming season, which is planned to finish by the end of June, and NBL management is in talks for the 2021-22 season slated for October and onwards.
Foxtel, which carries the ESPN telecast, and its Kayo streaming service could also bid for the rights and give the NBL, whose nine club owners lose $15m-$20m annually, much-needed competition for its broadcast product — though Nine appears to be in the box seat, and would put most matches on Stan and some on one of its free-to-air channels.
Nine and Stan could also bid for A-League rights later this year.

Mr Kestelman would not comment on negotiations, but told The Australian he welcomed competition for the NBL rights.
“Yes there’s been good interest shown and it’s nice there’s new platforms out there that could be showing interest in us,” he said.
“We need media partners that work with us. ESPN and SBS are great and they have done a good job, so we will see what happens.”
....'


There is far more to the story including commentary on the NBL involvement in Tassie:

' A new Tasmanian club is also a groundbreaking deal in many ways. It puts a new professional sports team in the state but also involves Mr Kestelman, an entrepreneur who has property development interests, controlling the Derwent Entertainment Centre and undertaking a $200m commercial precinct around the stadium.
Mr Kestelman said the stadium, which the state government is paying $60m to refurbish, will be ready for the 2021-22 season and that he wanted to start building an adjacent hotel, shops and food outlets soon after.
Otherwise Mr Kestelman, who has poured an estimated $30m of his own funds into the league, says he has had interest from international investors but wants to maintain control for at least the time being: “I’m very proud of where we are, I’m excited about where we are going and not about to lose interest in it.”
 

whatwhatsaywhat

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2003
1,114
539
in da hood
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
telstra out?



Fox are certainly paying the AFL more than in the previous contract, but Fox are getting more content in return. What the AFL didn’t say is that Telstra, which owns 35 percent of Fox, are cutting back on digital sports rights. In other words, the AFL is receiving from Fox money formerly paid by Telstra, and Fox is receiving the content which formerly went to Telstra. Telstra is expected to take a similar line with the NRL. Its contract concludes in 2022 but negotiations are complicated by the telco also having a naming rights deal with the NRL.
 

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
33,498
31,268
Scamander
AFL Club
Carlton
telstra out?



Fox are certainly paying the AFL more than in the previous contract, but Fox are getting more content in return. What the AFL didn’t say is that Telstra, which owns 35 percent of Fox, are cutting back on digital sports rights. In other words, the AFL is receiving from Fox money formerly paid by Telstra, and Fox is receiving the content which formerly went to Telstra. Telstra is expected to take a similar line with the NRL. Its contract concludes in 2022 but negotiations are complicated by the telco also having a naming rights deal with the NRL.
The AFL announcement
  • Telstra continues its partnership through the 2023 and 2024 seasons, with highlight, replay and on demand rights while increasing their investment in sponsorship assets.
  • Telstra will become Marvel Stadium’s official technology and innovation partner over the next four years, ensuring the revamped Marvel Stadium offers supporters the best digital experience of any stadium or entertainment venue in the country and ensuring supporters have the technology to connect them to the game they love.
  • Telstra technology and connectivity will be deployed at Marvel over the next few years including fixed and 4G/5G networks upgrades, Artificial Intelligence, and mixed reality and edge computing. From booking a seat to parking to engaging with the game, attendees will soon be able to experience a new stadium experience before, during, and after they attend the game.
  • Telstra will also expand its visual sponsorship elements such as on-field Telstra 5G signage, and continue the development of the AFL’s digital assets such as AFL.com.au, club websites and the AFL Official LIVE App. The updated sponsorship also deepens Telstra’s connections to AFL Clubs and extends the agreement with the AFL Players Association that engages all listed players as ambassadors for use in social marketing campaigns and other initiatives.
 

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
29,516
11,068
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
The updated sponsorship also deepens Telstra’s connections to AFL Clubs and extends the agreement with the AFL Players Association that engages all listed players as ambassadors for use in social marketing campaigns and other initiatives.
Does that sponsorship work for, or against the individual rights of players.

As an aside for me, I've found the AFL website less useful year on year & my club site exactly useless.

As for the move by Foxtel/Kayo, its a take off of whats happening (the freemium) in one of the big international soccer comps. I'll keep my eyes on Supercars in the immediate future to see 'where to next'.
 

NoobPie

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2016
6,446
4,464
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does that sponsorship work for, or against the individual rights of players.

As an aside for me, I've found the AFL website less useful year on year & my club site exactly useless.

As for the move by Foxtel/Kayo, its a take off of whats happening (the freemium) in one of the big international soccer comps. I'll keep my eyes on Supercars in the immediate future to see 'where to next'.

Possibly less coherent than Roy Masters' article
 

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
29,516
11,068
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
Nine Entertainment Co has confirmed Stan Sport will be available for an additional $10 per month on top of a regular Stan subscription.


Good value for Rugby fans:

'The Super Rugby AU, Super Rugby Aotearoa and Trans-Tasman tournament will be shown live for the first time in history.

Subscribers to Stan Sport will also get to watch the Rugby Championship, Bledisloe Cup, Shute Shield, Hospital Cup, Currie Cup and New Zealand’s National Provincial Championship, as well as national Wallabies, Super W and Wallaroos tests, plus SANZAAR Union home tests.'





The Super Rugby AU, Super Rugby Aotearoa and Trans-Tasman tournament will be shown live for the first time in history.

Subscribers to Stan Sport will also get to watch the Rugby Championship, Bledisloe Cup, Shute Shield, Hospital Cup, Currie Cup and New Zealand’s National Provincial Championship, as well as national Wallabies, Super W and Wallaroos tests, plus SANZAAR Union home tests.
 

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
12,163
7,281
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have a feeling Stan will go hard for the Footy and cricket, it leaves Fox dead in the water if they lose those sports
 

Rob

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2000
29,400
16,223
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Have a feeling Stan will go hard for the Footy and cricket, it leaves Fox dead in the water if they lose those sports
I can only see that happening if the rugby works for them beyond their wildest dreams. It's one thing forking out peanuts for rugby, another to pay hundreds of millions on a huge gamble.
 

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
29,516
11,068
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
I can only see that happening if the rugby works for them beyond their wildest dreams. It's one thing forking out peanuts for rugby, another to pay hundreds of millions on a huge gamble.
Understanding the effect on FTA advertising dollars is puzzling.

7s reaction to the Kayo 'freemium' will be telling - at least that is only weeks away.
 

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
12,163
7,281
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can only see that happening if the rugby works for them beyond their wildest dreams. It's one thing forking out peanuts for rugby, another to pay hundreds of millions on a huge gamble.
Is it a gamble? Fox sports has close to the highest amounts of subscribers in Australia. Their main draw cards is the AFL, NRL and then the Cricket third.

The rugby is more about testing the platform and fine tuning their product so when the the main sports come up they are in a position to have a crack at them

They have invested considerable money into print media and radio platforms to cross promote their products they aren’t going to stop at minor sports

According to a study carried out by Gemba insight Fox Sports (21%) and Kayo (11%) have a combined market penetration rate of 32% making it the largest subscription TV provider behind Netflix at 66%. The main driver of their subscription numbers are the AFL, NRL and a lesser extent cricket

Stan already has a penetration rate of 22% and will be looking to increase that
 

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
29,516
11,068
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
According to a study carried out by Gemba insight Fox Sports (21%) and Kayo (11%) have a combined market penetration rate of 32% making it the largest subscription TV provider behind Netflix at 66%. The main driver of their subscription numbers are the AFL, NRL and a lesser extent cricket
Interesting use of %s, monetising it is another - its the money that funds the payment to Sports.

Got a link to the Gemba Report?
 

magic_johnson!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
6,082
778
London
AFL Club
Geelong
To this average layperson, the pricing of Stan sports implies that they do intend to go after a few big fish. $10-$14, on top of a $10 Stan subscription, is a lot compared to other services to only receive domestic rugby games. A Kayo membership is similarly priced and you receive AFL, nrl, cricket, chess boxing, tram driving etc.
 

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
29,516
11,068
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
To this average layperson, the pricing of Stan sports implies that they do intend to go after a few big fish. $10-$14, on top of a $10 Stan subscription, is a lot compared to other services to only receive domestic rugby games. A Kayo membership is similarly priced and you receive AFL, nrl, cricket, chess boxing, tram driving etc.
Will the business model produce the money to pay Aussie sports the dollars they have come to rely on?
 

Rob

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2000
29,400
16,223
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Is it a gamble? Fox sports has close to the highest amounts of subscribers in Australia. Their main draw cards is the AFL, NRL and then the Cricket third.

The rugby is more about testing the platform and fine tuning their product so when the the main sports come up they are in a position to have a crack at them

They have invested considerable money into print media and radio platforms to cross promote their products they aren’t going to stop at minor sports

According to a study carried out by Gemba insight Fox Sports (21%) and Kayo (11%) have a combined market penetration rate of 32% making it the largest subscription TV provider behind Netflix at 66%. The main driver of their subscription numbers are the AFL, NRL and a lesser extent cricket

Stan already has a penetration rate of 22% and will be looking to increase that
Fox also charges a lot more (overall) and they provide a service that is a lot more convenient (and reliable) than streaming. They might only get $100 a year from the average sports fan who signs up, which means they'd need millions of people to pay that to make it worth it. I'd rather Fox's maths which would raise a lot more from subscribers than Stan could.
 

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
12,163
7,281
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fox also charges a lot more (overall) and they provide a service that is a lot more convenient (and reliable) than streaming. They might only get $100 a year from the average sports fan who signs up, which means they'd need millions of people to pay that to make it worth it. I'd rather Fox's maths which would raise a lot more from subscribers than Stan could.
But Foxtel’s overheads are way more expensive that’s my they are not making any money
 

Remove this Banner Ad