AFL announces 4.5billion, 7 year media deal (2025-2031 inclusive)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agreed. People able to buy an individual team pass, so for instance I could buy a Swans pass that would give me access to Swans games for lets say $5 a month, and if I buy access to all 9 games then it is $25 a month (or something to that effect).

Only concern is the AFL have not yet mastered how to run a website, something they should have mastered 25 years ago. I am not sure how they are going to handle streaming.

That option may be good for the customers, but it'd be a disaster for the afl.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes but if u have people only buying access to their own teams games that's gonna result is much lower ratings and ad revenue for neutral games.

That is true but how many people would actually do that? I mean I think most people like watching the neutral games as there are always a few games a week that on paper look really good.

Aug 13, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes and know, it’s time they went the way of the NFL, EPL and NBA produce all their own content. It gives them a lot more flexibility when selling the product.
I thought the NFL and NBA still took the content from their broadcasters (Fox, NBC, CBS and ESPN for the NFL and ESPN, Turner and the local cable sports networks for the NBA)? Well that's what gets broadcasted here.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes but if u have people only buying access to their own teams games that's gonna result is much lower ratings and ad revenue for neutral games.
At the same time it could help and grow the overall subscribers as one of the key reason people stick to FTA games is due to cost reasons.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I thought the NFL and NBA still took the content from their broadcasters (Fox, NBC, CBS and ESPN for the NFL and ESPN, Turner and the local cable sports networks for the NBA)? Well that's what gets broadcasted here.

The NFL is a bit weird as it has games sold to TV networks but all the other games are on NFL network

magic_johnson!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
London
AFL Club
Geelong

You know what sucks. AFL fans have to pay for a full membership, meaning access to the NRL as well. Why not only have an AFL membership which only gives access to AFL games but at a cheaper price than full membership? Why force AFL fans to sign up to the NRL, and force NRL fans to sign up to the AFL?

It’s not just AFL and nrl though - this deal works well for me as I no longer have to pay for Kayo to watch the cricket tour of South Africa for example. Plenty of other sports too.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
There was a time, maybe 4 or 5 years ago, when many were predicting that telcos would come to dominate the broadcasting of sport, sooner rather than later.
Premier League to Optus was first cab off the rank.
Stan a bit different, but they got the rugby.
Now we have Australia's largest telco vacating the broadcasting of sport.
FTA and STV still fighting hard to retain the big sports.
Telcos don't really look like they are taking over in a hurry.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
There was a time, maybe 4 or 5 years ago, when many were predicting that telcos would come to dominate the broadcasting of sport, sooner rather than later.
Premier League to Optus was first cab off the rank.
Stan a bit different, but they got the rugby.
Now we have Australia's largest telco vacating the broadcasting of sport.
FTA and STV still fighting hard to retain the big sports.
Telcos don't really look like they are taking over in a hurry.
It’s more of a leap for telcos to get into TV then it is for streaming services. Foxtel will be dead in a few years, it will get to a point if they keep losing money they will try and shift everyone one to their ITV services

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
It just seems like instead of just a few FTA channels and Foxtel chasing the rights there are now maybe a dozen potential streaming competitors like the Telcos, BeIn Sports, Dazn.

Most of them would find a local FTA partner for the bidding process, I think the teaming up and deal they offer to the AFL could all be really interesting.

A lot more options now to create clever content offerings. Let's hope the AFL continue to see lots of FTA as a big positive and don't go the way of other sports and take more $$ on the deal from subscriber platforms.

Watching (trying to watch) EPL in England is a massive pain in the bollocks. If the AFL ever gets that way, there's no way they'll have the interest from my kids that they got from me at a young age.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
It just seems like instead of just a few FTA channels and Foxtel chasing the rights there are now maybe a dozen potential streaming competitors like the Telcos, BeIn Sports, Dazn.

Most of them would find a local FTA partner for the bidding process, I think the teaming up and deal they offer to the AFL could all be really interesting.

A lot more options now to create clever content offerings. Let's hope the AFL continue to see lots of FTA as a big positive and don't go the way of other sports and take more $$ on the deal from subscriber platforms.

Watching (trying to watch) EPL in England is a massive pain in the bollocks. If the AFL ever gets that way, there's no way they'll have the interest from my kids that they got from me at a young age.

Although we keep hearing that kids don't watch traditional TV anymore.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Although we keep hearing that kids don't watch traditional TV anymore.

I think when they say "Kids" in that sense they're talking about
a) kids old enough to have the choice (i.e. older than 10) and
b) probably referring mostly to episodes of things. When the BBL or Cricket or footy is on live, kids still watch it live on the biggest TV available.

I reckon when the parents want to watch the news or Netflix, they're more likely to send the teens off to the other room to watch their own shows these days than they used to.

My nephews watch more NBA than was even possible in my day. My nephew had his phone confiscated for watching NBA on the toilet. Teacher noticed he hadn't been in class for 10 minutes.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Amazon Prime & Swimming

Amazon Prime Video has become the latest streaming service to tap into sport with a new deal with Swimming Australia.

The exclusive, two-year live broadcast streaming deal, will see Amazon distribute Australian Swimming championship events globally on Prime Video at no additional cost to Prime members.

Live streaming events will include the 2021 Australian Swimming Trials in the lead up to the 2021 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics (which will be broadcast by the Seven Network) and the qualifying events for the 2022 FINA World Swimming Championships (Amazon Prime) and the 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games (broadcast rights still to be allocated).

“We know live sport attracts passionate fan bases from around the world, many of whom are already Prime members,” said Amazon Prime Video vice president of global sports video Marie Donoghue.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Do you understand these deals are aimed at converting FTA viewers?

'The new deal will provide Telstra customers with over 50 sports, and not just on their mobile device, but across all platforms and all devices. It will see the Telstra Live Pass within the AFL Live app and NRL Live app replaced by Kayo.

Kayo Sport’s basic package costs $25 a month, but eligible Telstra Live Pass customers will get a generous $20 off, paying just $5 to access Kayo’s offering, including through the NRL Live app and AFL Live apps.

Other Telstra customers will pay $10 to watch live NRL, AFL and more, accessible through the two aforementioned apps, but also well as via the Kayo app as well.'

Having converted 'the died (sic) in the wool' viewer ( not the Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc pay for group, they are in already), the next step is put the price up.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Understanding Foxtel:
News Corp chief executive Robert Thomson has heralded the decision to reshape Foxtel as a next-generation subscription service as a “monumental moment”......

“Let’s consider how the Foxtel narrative has changed, with questions we’ve been asked a couple of quarters ago … whether we would need to put extra capital in Foxtel. And the truth is that the successful development of the business has given us real options,” Mr Thomson said on an investor call, referencing the company’s streaming services Kayo and Binge.

Handing down the media major’s second-quarter results on Friday — which was the company’s most profitable quarter in seven years — Mr Thomson cited Foxtel’s 90 per cent increase in its streaming customers over the quarter as evidence of the “transformation” of the pay-TV service.

At the end of December Foxtel’s total closing paid subscribers were 3.314 million, a 12 per cent lift compared with the prior year
“In the past, there had been scepticism about whether we could transition from our reliance on traditional broadcast, but those concerns have proven unfounded and Foxtel is now a company with a diverse portfolio and much momentum,” Mr Thomson said.

The CEO’s comments came just days after Foxtel’s Kayo Sports and Telstra signed a landmark deal that will give the telco’s customers access to top-tier sporting events on Kayo at a heavily discounted price.

Patrick Delany, the chief executive of the Foxtel Group, said the deal was aimed at the burgeoning “streaming generation”, which is consuming sport in “ever-evolving ways”.
“Kayo is made for the streaming generation, which is on the boil and moving,” Mr Delany said last week.
Mr Thomson said the number of customers who sign up to the Kayo offer would be made public in the next quarter’s results.

What does that do for those sports for whom Foxtel contribute the bulk of the media dollars?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
7 arent leaving cricket alone:

Seven West Media remains “extremely dissatisfied” with Cricket Australia but will wait until after next month’s hearing in the Federal Court to determine whether it retains the rights to next summer’s Ashes series and Big Bash League.
The free-to-air network has two cases running concurrently against CA in its bid to score a discount on the $82 million it will pay this summer for the rights to its share of the international season and domestic Twenty20 matches.
Seven’s chief executive James Warburton told The Age and Sydney Morning Herald on Monday that his network would continue to fight for a reduction.

Seven and Cricket Australia remain at loggerheads over their deal.
“The processes haven’t changed and the expert is due to give a determination on the value of the rights for this season just gone in late February. That’s our right within the contract,” he said.

“I think as a network we’re extremely dissatisfied with Cricket Australia, with the administration.“

The two parties are expecting within a week to have a final call from independent arbitrator Justin Jameson on whether Seven deserves to be offered a major reduction, after the network lodged papers last year arguing the quality of action this summer, in terms of overall scheduling and on-field play, was not what it had signed up for. CA had already offered a 20 per cent discount - a bid rejected by Seven.

CA and Seven are also due to extend their fight through the Federal Court from March 15,
where a pre-discovery hearing before Justice Paul Anastassiou will determine whether Seven is granted access to documents and correspondence CA had with state governments, the Board of Control for Cricket in India and with cricket’s pay-television arm, Foxtel.
Seven argues the BCCI pressured CA into having the original schedule changed, meaning the international summer began with white-ball matches exclusive to Foxtel rather than the Test series, which Seven shares with Foxtel.
Under court rulings, CA had to file and reserve any evidence on which it intends to use by last Friday, which it did, but Warburton confirmed he had seen CA’s case.

While Seven admits CA had done a good job in ensuring the Indian series against India went ahead in a biosecure bubble, that there were no Tests in November cost the network millions of dollars in lost revenue.

Meanwhile it seems 7 & Foxtel have reached an agreement over the Kayo freemium offer to Supercars fans for the event from Mt Panorama at Bathurst the weekend after next.

Back