The next Media rights deal (2023-?)

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’d be happy with all games exclusive to Fox Footy but for Fox Footy able to be purchased as a standalone channel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
I’d be happy with all games exclusive to Fox Footy but for Fox Footy able to be purchased as a standalone channel.
Not going to happen on either count IMHO.

The article in The Aus gives plenty of hope for FTA devotees BUT how much of what is being said is about keeping the share price up in the immediate term?

JohnZ

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Talk to me about the money, who are you paying?
If Channel 7 get streaming rights for their games (something they don't currently have) then in return, Foxtel get full streaming rights of their broadcast including no-ad breaks on Ch7 games. Seems a fair trade off to me.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
If Channel 7 get streaming rights for their games (something they don't currently have) then in return, Foxtel get full streaming rights of their broadcast including no-ad breaks on Ch7 games. Seems a fair trade off to me.
Yep, its who pays that interests me, are you expecting to stream it or watch it FTA? Remember Fox pay the bigger portion of the money as it stands.

____

Sep 1, 2009
Somewhere south of Brisbane and north of Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Everton Broncos Bullets Bulls Roar
I've always found it interesting that in NRL the channel 9 games can be streamed on 9Now and the 9/Fox games on Foxtel's stream has Fox's feed while channel 7 AFL games are unavailable on 7plus yet 7/Fox games get 7's feed on Foxtel. Sounds like a compromise that pleases no-one.

Also worth noting in NRL there's no local team on FTA thing that the AFL has. I could imagine it wouldn't be too hard to say you live in WA for example on the 7plus website and get every Eagles or Dockers game live for example if Channel 7 had streaming rights.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
I've always found it interesting that in NRL the channel 9 games can be streamed on 9Now and the 9/Fox games on Foxtel's stream has Fox's feed while channel 7 AFL games are unavailable on 7plus yet 7/Fox games get 7's feed on Foxtel. Sounds like a compromise that pleases no-one.

Also worth noting in NRL there's no local team on FTA thing that the AFL has. I could imagine it wouldn't be too hard to say you live in WA for example on the 7plus website and get every Eagles or Dockers game live for example if Channel 7 had streaming rights.
So are the streaming rights a separate contract? Not into streaming, my experience is only motor racing earlier this year & wasnt impressed (probably me & tech).

As for the current arrangements its probably about money. 9 is ahead of 7 in this area according to what I've read recently in the financial press.

Top Bottom