AFL announces 4.5billion, 7 year media deal (2025-2031 inclusive)

Ausbenito

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Definitely needs to be some game changes before the next rights deal with no contribution from coaches who are conspiring to destroy the game in EPL etc coaches are held accountable for their game style etc by the media eg what is that shite your team served up?
In AFL coaches have got of scott free how about some hard questions from the media what do you think that game did for viewers? do you really think that game helps anyone but yourself remain employed?
Also I think they should split the TV rights and some one like Channel 10 should take on Thursday and Friday night games would add a breath of fresh air.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
I wa
Definitely needs to be some game changes before the next rights deal with no contribution from coaches who are conspiring to destroy the game in EPL etc coaches are held accountable for their game style etc by the media eg what is that shite your team served up?
In AFL coaches have got of scott free how about some hard questions from the media what do you think that game did for viewers? do you really think that game helps anyone but yourself remain employed?
Also I think they should split the TV rights and some one like Channel 10 should take on Thursday and Friday night games would add a breath of fresh air.

I watched the old Origin matches on Fox last night and what fabulous footy was played. Now thats how the game should look - great contests all around the ground and none of the rubbish scrums that we now have.

The AFL can fix this if they want to. I know we cant go back all the way but at least open the game up and get rid of all the useless ball ups that create a lot of the current problems and take the power away from the coaches.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Interesting take on the lessons learned from the Optus fail in the World Cup in the AFR:
So with the Optus debacle fresh in the memory and concerns about Australia's internet infrastructure, does this mean that sports will be reluctant to sell their broadcast rights in the future to online providers?

"Optus will become a case study for us all. Everyone will learn from it and talk about it for years to come. But it won't stop the sub-licensing of sports [from free-to-air or pay-television to streaming services]. You'll just make doubly sure your infrastructure will be okay."

Optus is not the only Australian company to have problems.

Foxtel – which will launch a standalone Fox Sports streaming service, known within the company as Project Martian, later this year to tie in with its newly won cricket rights – had major problems with the release of the latest Game of Thrones series last July. When the online streaming service crashed Foxtel, like Optus did this week, blamed "the unprecedented rush for a subscription just prior to the telecast".

Global sports are also clinching big "over the top" deals. Earlier this month, Amazon signed a deal to show some English Premier League matches in the United Kingdom on an exclusive basis, while the Professional Golfers' Association Tour in the US is beginning a 12-year contract with Discovery to show tournaments to viewers around the world, including Australia. Other sports like tennis and American football also have streaming deals for some games, including with the likes of Twitter and Facebook. Meanwhile, e-sports events can be streamed to millions of viewers.

There is more:https://www.afr.com/business/sport/...esson-for-sports-broadcasters-20180620-h11nmd

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
SMH Roy Masters 4.2.19

An interesting article from R. Masters- &, if correct, it will be imperative that sports will want their games to "flow" (ie limited stoppages)/ be exciting (ie result not known well in advance of final siren)/be high scoring.

Deloitte's research state's millenials are increasing the amount of sport they watch on their phones (benefits Ratings for RL, RU, & basketball- action confined to small spaces, no need for broad, expansive screen shots).
Millennials also have much SHORTER ATTENTION spans when watching sport on TV. They, therefore, during their TV sport viewing, are more likely to switch to their mobile phone, tablet, even switch over to netflix etc. if a sport is "boring' them with too much downtime/stoppages/ ball not in play etc.

If correct, is this millenial phenomenon likely to advantage Ratings of televised sports that have relatively little downtime eg AF & soccer; & disadvantage sports that have considerable downtime eg NFL & RU- or blowout scores eg AF & basketball? And implications for future broadcasting Rights $?

Masters' comments are instructive (take note, AFL!) that the NRL is considering reducing its interchanges from 8 to 6 per team, to make the NRL more exciting. It was initially unlimited interchange c.20 years ago, & was 10 per game until 3 years ago. This is designed to encourage the promotion/survival of the currently "phased out" quick, skilful light weight Langer/Lockyer-type players- who are more likely to score exciting tries late in the game (ie when the big blokes start to become more tired, with less interchanges).

He implies this change would increase the chances of millenials keeping an interest in NRL games- & not having their limited attention spans reduced by low scoring matches/increased downtime.
Does this millenial limited attention span also have repercussions for the AFL, since scoring is at its lowest levels since 1968 (despite matches now on pristine surfaces, wind generally not a factor in grandstand-enclosed grounds, & 44 games pa at roofed Docklands- no rain/slippery balls/mud)?

How much are NFL Ratings, with multiple, lengthy breaks, affected by this millenial short attention span phenomenon?
Ditto, soccer, which, of course, is a very low scoring game (but not much downtime; & result often unclear until very close to end of game)?
Are the NBA ratings booming- high scoring, limited downtime (but result often known well in advance of final siren)?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...to-the-modern-generation-20190204-p50vl1.html

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Shows you why sport is so critical to the future of commercial television.

The only thing I ever watch on commercial FTA is live sport (AFL GF, Aus Open and some occasional cricket). Very occasionally I'll watch something on ABC or SBS but for the most part it's Foxtel, catch-up apps (iView, On Demand) or streaming.

I don't get why anyone would watch commercial FTA tv these days it is absolute garbage. The networks will die without sport (AFL, NRL & cricket for the most part).

Its just bizarre IMO.

A lot of people aren't very bright.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
SMH Roy Masters 4.2.19

An interesting article from R. Masters- &, if correct, it will be imperative that sports will want their games to "flow" (ie limited stoppages)/ be exciting (ie result not known well in advance of final siren)/be high scoring.

Deloitte's research state's millenials are increasing the amount of sport they watch on their phones (benefits Ratings for RL, RU, & basketball- action confined to small spaces, no need for broad, expansive screen shots).
Millennials also have much SHORTER ATTENTION spans when watching sport on TV. They, therefore, during their TV sport viewing, are more likely to switch to their mobile phone, tablet, even switch over to netflix etc. if a sport is "boring' them with too much downtime/stoppages/ ball not in play etc.

If correct, is this millenial phenomenon likely to advantage Ratings of televised sports that have relatively little downtime eg AF & soccer; & disadvantage sports that have considerable downtime eg NFL & RU- or blowout scores eg AF & basketball? And implications for future broadcasting Rights $?

Masters' comments are instructive (take note, AFL!) that the NRL is considering reducing its interchanges from 8 to 6 per team, to make the NRL more exciting. It was initially unlimited interchange c.20 years ago, & was 10 per game until 3 years ago. This is designed to encourage the promotion/survival of the currently "phased out" quick, skilful light weight Langer/Lockyer-type players- who are more likely to score exciting tries late in the game (ie when the big blokes start to become more tired, with less interchanges).

He implies this change would increase the chances of millenials keeping an interest in NRL games- & not having their limited attention spans reduced by low scoring matches/increased downtime.
Does this millenial limited attention span also have repercussions for the AFL, since scoring is at its lowest levels since 1968 (despite matches now on pristine surfaces, wind generally not a factor in grandstand-enclosed grounds, & 44 games pa at roofed Docklands- no rain/slippery balls/mud)?

How much are NFL Ratings, with multiple, lengthy breaks, affected by this millenial short attention span phenomenon?
Ditto, soccer, which, of course, is a very low scoring game (but not much downtime; & result often unclear until very close to end of game)?
Are the NBA ratings booming- high scoring, limited downtime (but result often known well in advance of final siren)?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...to-the-modern-generation-20190204-p50vl1.html

A lot of it comes down to production of the show. NFL has lots of down time but also has lots of things to fill in the gaps. Replays, explanations/breakdowns of plays, explanations/breakdown of rules, introduction of players from different teams (offense, defense, special teams) etc

AFL production is absolutely rubbish, the commentators fill in down time with tired repetitive jokes, inane banter or informing the audience which player is going out with another players sister or some other New Idea type rubbish. If they took the time to inform the audience about the game it would be far more interesting to the audience and far more likely to keep them engaged.

Channel 7s directive is for their commentators to be the personalities and spruik the Womens Weekly side of the sport, I assume in a misguided attempt to appeal to the female/younger audience.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
A lot of it comes down to production of the show. NFL has lots of down time but also has lots of things to fill in the gaps. Replays, explanations/breakdowns of plays, explanations/breakdown of rules, introduction of players from different teams (offense, defense, special teams) etc

AFL production is absolutely rubbish, the commentators fill in down time with tired repetitive jokes, inane banter or informing the audience which player is going out with another players sister or some other New Idea type rubbish. If they took the time to inform the audience about the game it would be far more interesting to the audience and far more likely to keep them engaged.

Channel 7s directive is for their commentators to be the personalities and spruik the Womens Weekly side of the sport, I assume in a misguided attempt to appeal to the female/younger audience.
The production of the NFL is brilliant. I find the sport painfully boring yet still find myself watching for hours on end.
I do think having packed stadiums also help. Every game seems like it has extreme importance.
The biggest problems with football is so much atmosphere is lost through the broadcast and there are so many games that are blowouts or the result is pretty clear after the first quarter. There is only so many times a commentator can try and analyse what is going on without repeating themselves and it just comes across as if they are harping on about the same thing. Especially with teams like mine who week after week it’s the same thing.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The production of the NFL is brilliant. I find the sport painfully boring yet still find myself watching for hours on end.
I do think having packed stadiums also help. Every game seems like it has extreme importance.
The biggest problems with football is so much atmosphere is lost through the broadcast and there are so many games that are blowouts or the result is pretty clear after the first quarter. There is only so many times a commentator can try and analyse what is going on without repeating themselves and it just comes across as if they are harping on about the same thing. Especially with teams like mine who week after week it’s the same thing.

That's another issue which is oversaturation. NFL season is 17 weeks, AFL should be 18 weeks.

NFL also commits to its policy of parity, AFL flip flops all the time on its equalisation policies. Doesn't mean you don't get teams like the Patriots dominating but they're an outlier. NFL also drafts players out of college, AFL has to develop kids out of high school which is the nature of the beast we have to deal with. It's not wrong but it means it's harder to turn around a teams performance in one season especially with far more restricted player movement (even with FA).

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
That's another issue which is oversaturation. NFL season is 17 weeks, AFL should be 18 weeks.

This is probably true, but find me a player willing to take a decent pay cut to accommodate this.

Overall gate receipts are going to drop with 2 less home games, and TV probably won't want to pay as much. Average per game it might go up, but it's unlikely to be matched in total.

I've felt for a long time that 20 games is the sweet spot, two fewer games, but still spread out over the same period, meaning you fill the whole season with regular thursday night games, which might mean the money stays at the same level

20 teams would most likely be what brings a 20 game season (everyone plays once, plus a rivalry double like Showdown/Derby). It's basically as many total H&A games as we have currently (up from 198 to 200), and only cuts one home game per club. It also provides the fixture flexibility that you mentioned.

But considering where most of the Northern market teams are at off-field, further expansion isn't happening anytime soon.

OffTheBit

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Merge St kilda and Gold Coast or just piss the Suns off all together, increase each list size to 50 odd, each team plays twice in 9 days and everyone twice. Problems solved

OffTheBit

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why those two? Your own club is in that bottom bracket financially too mate.
Everyone needs to stop preteding with Gold Coast. It hasnt worked, it will not work. St kilda is a complete basket case and has been for way too long, have they ever had someone there that can run a football club? Seriously embarrassing. Put the supporters out of their misery ffs

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Everyone needs to stop preteding with Gold Coast. It hasnt worked, it will not work. St kilda is a complete basket case and has been for way too long, have they ever had someone there that can run a football club? Seriously embarrassing. Put the supporters out of their misery ffs

Your club hasnt gone much better since 2007ish

OffTheBit

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Your club hasnt gone much better since 2007ish
And yours since... what 2000? And you were meant to be part of the big 4? And smack bang in the middle of footy heartland? If it wasnt for the dirty, shifty way your footy club has been run its entire existence, youd probably be gone too. I have seen and enjoyed a lot more than you have in 2 decades champ, remember that

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
And yours since... what 2000? And you were meant to be part of the big 4? And smack bang in the middle of footy heartland? If it wasnt for the dirty, shifty way your footy club has been run its entire existence, youd probably be gone too. I have seen and enjoyed a lot more than you have in 2 decades champ, remember that

Mate im more than happy to compare my clubs finances with yours over the last 20 years, if you want to go down that road. Champ.

I mean Ill even overlook the fact your club went broke several times, and pretty much survived only because the league merged the Lions into the Bears. Why cant Gold Coast be given the same chances your club was given repeatedly in the 90s.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Mate im more than happy to compare my clubs finances with yours over the last 20 years, if you want to go down that road. Champ.

I mean Ill even overlook the fact your club went broke several times, and pretty much survived only because the league merged the Lions into the Bears. Why cant Gold Coast be given the same chances your club was given repeatedly in the 90s.

Every club has had problems & Andy D's rush for expansion meant he didnt wait to ensure North went to the Gold Coast, they are happy to take Tassie taxpayer money but are still a part of the overcrowded Melbourne footy market, overcrowded as in supply exceeds demand.
Andys legacy?

AFL in talks with global tech giants

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has taken a team to the United States on a covert fact-finding mission, with at least one global streaming service looming as a major player in the game’s next broadcast rights deal.
The Age can reveal that McLachlan has taken fixture boss Travis Auld and the league’s head of strategy, Walter Lee, on a tour of the US, with the trio set to meet tech giants Amazon, Google and Facebook in coming days.

Interesting tidbit in The Age regarding potential for streaming to figure prominently in next rights deal.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why would they do this? The shitty quality of the current AFL streaming is all our shitty NBN can cope with!! :p

I suspect it will be complementary rather than exclusive to a cable option.

There are still three years to go on the current deal and already there is Foxtel go, Kayo and Telstra resting on alternative mediums to FTA and cable. There is also the "watch AFL" global pass for people outside of Australia

It's at least a no brainer that they would look to increase competitive tension ahead of the next rights deal

Back