AFL announces 4.5billion, 7 year media deal (2025-2031 inclusive)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I’d be happy with all games exclusive to Fox Footy but for Fox Footy able to be purchased as a standalone channel.

Not going to happen on either count IMHO.

The article in The Aus gives plenty of hope for FTA devotees BUT how much of what is being said is about keeping the share price up in the immediate term?

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Talk to me about the money, who are you paying?
If Channel 7 get streaming rights for their games (something they don't currently have) then in return, Foxtel get full streaming rights of their broadcast including no-ad breaks on Ch7 games. Seems a fair trade off to me.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
If Channel 7 get streaming rights for their games (something they don't currently have) then in return, Foxtel get full streaming rights of their broadcast including no-ad breaks on Ch7 games. Seems a fair trade off to me.

Yep, its who pays that interests me, are you expecting to stream it or watch it FTA? Remember Fox pay the bigger portion of the money as it stands.

I've always found it interesting that in NRL the channel 9 games can be streamed on 9Now and the 9/Fox games on Foxtel's stream has Fox's feed while channel 7 AFL games are unavailable on 7plus yet 7/Fox games get 7's feed on Foxtel. Sounds like a compromise that pleases no-one.

Also worth noting in NRL there's no local team on FTA thing that the AFL has. I could imagine it wouldn't be too hard to say you live in WA for example on the 7plus website and get every Eagles or Dockers game live for example if Channel 7 had streaming rights.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I've always found it interesting that in NRL the channel 9 games can be streamed on 9Now and the 9/Fox games on Foxtel's stream has Fox's feed while channel 7 AFL games are unavailable on 7plus yet 7/Fox games get 7's feed on Foxtel. Sounds like a compromise that pleases no-one.

Also worth noting in NRL there's no local team on FTA thing that the AFL has. I could imagine it wouldn't be too hard to say you live in WA for example on the 7plus website and get every Eagles or Dockers game live for example if Channel 7 had streaming rights.

So are the streaming rights a separate contract? Not into streaming, my experience is only motor racing earlier this year & wasnt impressed (probably me & tech).

As for the current arrangements its probably about money. 9 is ahead of 7 in this area according to what I've read recently in the financial press.

Found that article because I wanted to see what the graphic said but there is some interesting general sports stuff in there

Sport is a serious business, generating about $US90bn ($133.3bn) a year, says Victor Matheson, a sport economist at the College of the Holy Cross in Massachusetts. In America major sports are still extremely valuable to advertisers and pay-TV providers because almost every other type of entertainment offered on television has suffered far worse declines in viewership. MoffettNathanson, a research firm, found in a recent survey of 5000 Americans that half watched sports at least once a month. Of those, 90 per cent still subscribed to pay-TV. Only 67 per cent of the respondents who did not watch sports had pay-TV.

and I wondered why the Cricket WC was reduced to only 10 teams and eliminate the 4 x 4 teams group stage and each team play 9 game round robin for the first time since 1992 WC in Oz and NZ. Its India and $$$

No game has reinvented itself for a time-poor age as successfully as cricket. In 2003, a marketing survey saying that people wanted shorter matches led to the launch in England of Twenty20 cricket. T20 now is the most watched version of cricket worldwide. It appeals to a much younger fan base, says Alavy. Cricket’s success has been inspirational. Rugby sevens, in which matches consist of two halves lasting seven minutes, compared with the usual 40 minutes, featured in the Olympic games for the first time in 2016. Three-a-side basketball, in which games last 10 minutes as opposed to 48 minutes for National Basketball Association matches, will make its Olympic debut next year.

Cricket’s reinvention has paid off. Matheson says that over the past decade its revenues have grown faster than those of any other big sport. Much of that is thanks to India. The Indian Premier League, the T20 domestic league in India, is by far the fastest growing major league of any sport, says Matheson. Sports can hope to increase their revenues either by gaining new fans or by relying on existing fans becoming wealthier. Cricket is betting on the latter. India will overtake China as the most populous nation in the world sometime in the 2020s and its middle class is growing fast.

So central is India to cricket’s calculations that its elimination early in the 2007 cricket World Cup led to the decision to cut the number of teams in the tournament in future from 16 to 10, the lowest of any comparable men’s competition. The team’s premature exit meant that it played just three matches that year. The restructuring means it is guaranteed to play nine in the group stage, a crucial factor in generating cash.

Cricket is unusual in relying so heavily on one market for revenue growth. Most other sports must look further afield. To start, they can open international tournaments to new players. Since 2002 basketball has doubled the number of teams in the men’s World Cup to 32. Rugby is considering boosting its cup from 20 countries to 24. The rationale is simple: viewership in countries is inevitably higher when they compete in a world cup. “The more inclusive you make sports, the wider the market is going to be,” says Dave Berri, a sports economist from Southern Utah University. Football is the leader in this regard. It recently expanded its World Cup to allow 48 teams to compete.

1570502269323.png

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hopefully the following things don’t happen that certain clubs are giving all the prime time spots.
For example NO Monday night football unless it’s Anzac Eve game No Thursday football unless it’s public holiday the next day No 4:40pm Sunday games in Victoria if Victorian team is playing interstate yes then play them.
Double headers Friday night games yes
1 in Victoria on 7 or Foxtel at 7:30pm and 1 interstate on 7 or 7mate or Foxtel at 8pm.
A 2:15pm game a 3pm game 4pm game a 7:15pm game and 7:50pm game on Saturdays .
2:15pm game and 3pm game and 4pm game -interstate only on Sundays.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Found that article because I wanted to see what the graphic said but there is some interesting general sports stuff in there

Sport is a serious business, generating about $US90bn ($133.3bn) a year, says Victor Matheson, a sport economist at the College of the Holy Cross in Massachusetts. In America major sports are still extremely valuable to advertisers and pay-TV providers because almost every other type of entertainment offered on television has suffered far worse declines in viewership. MoffettNathanson, a research firm, found in a recent survey of 5000 Americans that half watched sports at least once a month. Of those, 90 per cent still subscribed to pay-TV. Only 67 per cent of the respondents who did not watch sports had pay-TV.

and I wondered why the Cricket WC was reduced to only 10 teams and eliminate the 4 x 4 teams group stage and each team play 9 game round robin for the first time since 1992 WC in Oz and NZ. Its India and $$$

No game has reinvented itself for a time-poor age as successfully as cricket. In 2003, a marketing survey saying that people wanted shorter matches led to the launch in England of Twenty20 cricket. T20 now is the most watched version of cricket worldwide. It appeals to a much younger fan base, says Alavy. Cricket’s success has been inspirational. Rugby sevens, in which matches consist of two halves lasting seven minutes, compared with the usual 40 minutes, featured in the Olympic games for the first time in 2016. Three-a-side basketball, in which games last 10 minutes as opposed to 48 minutes for National Basketball Association matches, will make its Olympic debut next year.

Cricket’s reinvention has paid off. Matheson says that over the past decade its revenues have grown faster than those of any other big sport. Much of that is thanks to India. The Indian Premier League, the T20 domestic league in India, is by far the fastest growing major league of any sport, says Matheson. Sports can hope to increase their revenues either by gaining new fans or by relying on existing fans becoming wealthier. Cricket is betting on the latter. India will overtake China as the most populous nation in the world sometime in the 2020s and its middle class is growing fast.

So central is India to cricket’s calculations that its elimination early in the 2007 cricket World Cup led to the decision to cut the number of teams in the tournament in future from 16 to 10, the lowest of any comparable men’s competition. The team’s premature exit meant that it played just three matches that year. The restructuring means it is guaranteed to play nine in the group stage, a crucial factor in generating cash.

Cricket is unusual in relying so heavily on one market for revenue growth. Most other sports must look further afield. To start, they can open international tournaments to new players. Since 2002 basketball has doubled the number of teams in the men’s World Cup to 32. Rugby is considering boosting its cup from 20 countries to 24. The rationale is simple: viewership in countries is inevitably higher when they compete in a world cup. “The more inclusive you make sports, the wider the market is going to be,” says Dave Berri, a sports economist from Southern Utah University. Football is the leader in this regard. It recently expanded its World Cup to allow 48 teams to compete.

View attachment 760632
India will ruin cricket as we know it over the next 20 years.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Hopefully the following things don’t happen that certain clubs are giving all the prime time spots.
For example NO Monday night football unless it’s Anzac Eve game No Thursday football unless it’s public holiday the next day No 4:40pm Sunday games in Victoria if Victorian team is playing interstate yes then play them.
Double headers Friday night games yes
1 in Victoria on 7 or Foxtel at 7:30pm and 1 interstate on 7 or 7mate or Foxtel at 8pm.
A 2:15pm game a 3pm game 4pm game a 7:15pm game and 7:50pm game on Saturdays .
2:15pm game and 3pm game and 4pm game -interstate only on Sundays.

You referring to the national FIXture or just Melbourne?

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
India having an iron grip on world cricket is not sustainable. There were a lot of fans very unhappy at the structure of the last WC, and they were one game away from having the entire last third of the group stage be totally meaningless.
The problem is they will only become more powerful and they will be the only winners out of it.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
$40 a month or say $250 a season?

No way the AFL would remove itself from free to air......but should be noted that with Kayo charging itsself out at $25 it is hard to see how the AFL could get away with charging greater than that for the AFL only

Back