AFL announces 4.5billion, 7 year media deal (2025-2031 inclusive)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that's what is going to happen.
It will be interesting to see what effect it has on the rating figures if the neutral people jump off.

It was only a one off, but even I struggled to maintain enthusiasm watching the tigs vs carlton. i hate the with a passion, but with zero crowd noise it had the vibe I was watching a training drill

This is not my area of expertise but given how much financial trouble all the networks are in I don't understand

1) Why they appear to still be offering to pay a premium for AFL and NRL. I know there has been no increase but there doesn't appear to have been a decrease either for what might be on the table in future deals.

2) From a far it doesn't appear like there is much competition between the networks. I know every month someone floats a story about Nine wanting AFL but they are not serious. As for Foxtel who is realistically going to out bid them at the moment?

It just seems like even now the sports still hold the upper hand.

This is not my area of expertise but given how much financial trouble all the networks are in I don't understand

1) Why they appear to still be offering to pay a premium for AFL and NRL. I know there has been no increase but there doesn't appear to have been a decrease either for what might be on the table in future deals.

2) From a far it doesn't appear like there is much competition between the networks. I know every month someone floats a story about Nine wanting AFL but they are not serious. As for Foxtel who is realistically going to out bid them at the moment?

It just seems like even now the sports still hold the upper hand.

The financial viability of FTA is problematic with revenue coming from advertising in a ever weakening market generally:
'For the first half of FY20, Think TV reports total TV advertising fell 5.9% and the numbers are expected to continue declining in the coming months. Seven has also been forced to make hard choices across its business, cutting staff and reducing hours.'

Seven Media is loaded with debt:
Seven West Media has a net debt of $541.5m, including proceeds from Redwave, the sale of which to Southern Cross Austereo was completed in December 2019. The group has implemented a $45m cost out programme for the second half of the year and FY21.

The AFL & NRL are still in demand just not at pre covid rates, RA rejected a reduced offer & ended up with nothing, the A-League have nothing.
Both NRL & AFL have breached their contracts & neither code have released details of the new deals to get the games back. The real news here will be in financial pages not the sports pages.

"Both NRL & AFL have breached their contracts & neither code have released details of the new deals to get the games back. The real news here will be in financial pages not the sports pages".
[/QUOTE]

Its one of the reasons that the AFL had to secure a $600 million line of credit.

New NRL deal, NRL to stay on Fox League until to 2027.

The financial details of the deals remaining commercial in confidence is obviously to weaken the AFL in its negotiations with the broadcasters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC's Cochrane and GWS' Matthews have continually spouted this self-serving nonsense for years when it's been obvious that the ninth match produces nowhere near $50m per annum.

Leigh Matthews spoke about this last month:

“It is a myth that the ninth game is worth anywhere near 1/9th of the broadcast rights. It’s been getting up my goat because I hate a myth being perpetuated.

I’m told by the television people I know that the ninth game is worth almost nothing. The TV rights would almost be the same if there were eight games."

Dropping two Melbourne clubs would be the smart move but it won't happen.

Depends on the goal.

Long term you *might* be right, but for short/medium term financial stabilisation the league would be better off dropping GC & GWS.

There is also the mechanics of HOW a club can be expelled from the league, and losing AFL owned and operated clubs would be a LOT easier from that perspective.

Depends on the goal.

Long term you *might* be right, but for short/medium term financial stabilisation the league would be better off dropping GC & GWS.

There is also the mechanics of HOW a club can be expelled from the league, and losing AFL owned and operated clubs would be a LOT easier from that perspective.

That's more than debatable in the short term let-a-lone the medium term.

I doubt there will be any loss of clubs btw and doubt it is worth the "pain".

That's more than debatable in the short term let-a-lone the medium term.

I doubt there will be any loss of clubs btw and doubt it is worth the "pain".

True, I was starting from the premise of clubs being dropped, which is far from a given, and perhaps not advisable (depends how bad the AFL's financial projections look).

But were clubs to be dropped, the AFL put have more outgoings to GWS & GC currently than any 2 Vic clubs (St Kilda would be close) and less revenue (Docklands & AFL members). Neither of which is likely to change for at least a decade.

True, I was starting from the premise of clubs being dropped, which is far from a given, and perhaps not advisable (depends how bad the AFL's financial projections look).

But were clubs to be dropped, the AFL put have more outgoings to GWS & GC currently than any 2 Vic clubs (St Kilda would be close) and less revenue (Docklands & AFL members). Neither of which is likely to change for at least a decade.

Well they do have long term contracts around Giants stadium and Metricon.....as well as the existence of those two clubs giving more ballast to the AFL and all the other clubs when presenting to potential sponsors looking for some national bang than the 8th and 9th Melbourne clubs.

And perhaps the hypothetical could involve four clubs being merged in Melbourne (notwithstanding there will be at least some attrition of supporters of the original clubs)?

Anyway, it is moot. I don't think it is in the AFL's interest to get rid of 150 year old Melbourne clubs or the 10 year old expansion clubs and I hardly doubt they will. However bad the AFL's financial projections could feasibly be, the AFL seems to be in a pretty uniquely strong position to scale down costs accordingly without needing to kill off clubs

GC's Cochrane and GWS' Matthews have continually spouted this self-serving nonsense for years when it's been obvious that the ninth match produces nowhere near $50m per annum.

Leigh Matthews spoke about this last month:

“It is a myth that the ninth game is worth anywhere near 1/9th of the broadcast rights. It’s been getting up my goat because I hate a myth being perpetuated.

I’m told by the television people I know that the ninth game is worth almost nothing. The TV rights would almost be the same if there were eight games."

NewsCorp CEO Robert Thomson when the 3rd quarter results to NYSE said:

News Corp chief executive Robert Thomson has asked for a “fundamental reset” of the price paid for sports broadcasting rights as the global media company reported declines in revenue amid the early impact of the COVID-19 virus.
Mr Thomson said there would need to be a longer term re-revaluation of the amount paid for broadcast rights for sports such as the NRL and AFL.

“There obviously needs to be a fundamental reset, the idea that things will return to normal this season is absurd.

That we dont know the Foxtel side of the new NRL deal is not surprising.

Depends on the goal.

I am thinking long term. Much better to have Gold Coast and GWS still in the competition in 2040 than all 9 Melbourne based clubs. There is no real benefit to having so many clubs in the one city. All it is doing is diluting the supporter base.

NewsCorp CEO Robert Thomson when the 3rd quarter results to NYSE said:

That we dont know the Foxtel side of the new NRL deal is not surprising.

Well the problem is they have agreed to pay some amount similar to the existing rights out to 2027, (despite getting big discounts over the next three years).

Well they do have long term contracts around Giants stadium and Metricon.....as well as the existence of those two clubs giving more ballast to the AFL and all the other clubs when presenting to potential sponsors looking for some national bang than the 8th and 9th Melbourne clubs.

And perhaps the hypothetical could involve four clubs being merged in Melbourne (notwithstanding there will be at least some attrition of supporters of the original clubs)?

Anyway, it is moot. I don't think it is in the AFL's interest to get rid of 150 year old Melbourne clubs or the 10 year old expansion clubs and I hardly doubt they will. However bad the AFL's financial projections could feasibly be, the AFL seems to be in a pretty uniquely strong position to scale down costs accordingly without needing to kill off clubs
To continue going off topic, I wonder what would happen if North Melbourne and Fitzroy were allowed to merge (without the fears of a Victorian super club), whether or not other clubs would be more willing to merge, instead they shipped off some Fitzroy players to Brisbane and Brisbane won 3 premierships off the back of it and North were nearly moved up to Queensland 10 years later.

Well the problem is they have agreed to pay some amount similar to the existing rights out to 2027, (despite getting big discounts over the next three years).

NewsCorp arent run by dullards (see the Disney deal IF you have any doubts) - i'm the first to agree the PAY concept is past it' 'use by' date.
2027 surprised me but i dont claim to understand where News/Telstra are going with Foxtel, but I'd like to know why you perceive 2027 is the problem?

To continue going off topic, I wonder what would happen if North Melbourne and Fitzroy were allowed to merge (without the fears of a Victorian super club), whether or not other clubs would be more willing to merge, instead they shipped off some Fitzroy players to Brisbane and Brisbane won 3 premierships off the back of it and North were nearly moved up to Queensland 10 years later.

so you see less clubs as positive for the next media rights deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back