The next righteous LNP mission: Let's gut the NDIS

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The allocation of scarce resources only seems to be a concern when it comes to social welfare, look at JobKeeper, Gerry Harvey and Solomon Lew are gifted millions but the poor pricks on the NDIS are told that we can't afford them.
I’ve never understood why waste in one area of government is seen as justification for license in others

Sounds more like an argument to improve JobKeeper than anything else

I’ve never understood why waste in one area of government is seen as justification for license in others

Because wasted money for this government only ever goes one way, up. You could even be so cynical as to suggest it's not accidental.

Of course doctors should have absolute discretion on clinical decisions - as long as they fall within a framework that ensures the efficient allocation of scarce resources
Yeah, and who draws up the framework? The doctors?

Because they need to look they care about balancing the books they like to take the cash from those they think the electorate won't really care about.

because you approve of giving harvey norman millions "because", but its wasted on people with a disability (because after all, how much do they really contribute to society? many dont work, many have supports costing millions, maybe like the elderly they should just sacrifice themselves for the economy)

Naturally there should be an element of clinical input
... which the beancounters can then ignore if they feel that some poor sick bastard can do without what the doc says they need.

Do I?

I think I may have been one of the people predicting huge wastefulness when JobKeeper was initially rolled out. I recall being told that’s just the cost of doing business with a stimulus program.

yet you defend govt not demanding returning those funds, just as you defend robodebt sacrificing a few bodies for the economy

i love guys like you. disabled should die for the economy, elderly should die for the economy, all the leaners should put the economy first

until something bad happens in your life, then your hands will be out for a handout quicker than you can blink

youre a selfish hypocrite, only looking out for yourself

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
... which the beancounters can then ignore if they feel that some poor sick bastard can do without what the doc says they need.
Nobody is advocating ignoring clinical advice, but without placing financial constraints on clinicians it is impossible to run an economic health system

Naturally there should be plenty of clinical input into the governance frameworks that constrain clinicians, but the tail cannot wag the dog
yet you defend govt not demanding returning those funds, just as you defend robodebt sacrificing a few bodies for the economy
I think you must be confusing me with someone else

Nobody is advocating ignoring clinical advice, but without placing financial constraints on clinicians it is impossible to run an economic health system

Naturally there should be plenty of clinical input into the governance frameworks that constrain clinicians, but the tail cannot wag the dog

I think you must be confusing me with someone else

this is the issue

idiots like you will approve a respirator, but not modifications to their car so they can drive. your model takes us back to the days of people with disabilities being ignored or locked away.

the fact you're happy to sacrifice them before the "sovereign risk" of reneging on a tax cut is laughable. if you need more money, find the money. your tax cut isnt more important than someone attempting to live a close to normal life

Hence the 0.5% Medicare levy increase that the ALP and Greens blocked

It was the riders attached to it that were the problem.

So expand again on how taking back a tax cut is a sovereign risk, but ******* hundreds of thousands on the ndis is all kinds of awesome

Jefferson once said "the measure of society is how it treats the weakest members".

Wonder how you measure a society that shoves refugees in jail, asks old people to die for the economy, pushes the unemployed to commit suicide, and defunds the disabled.

To be fair, they did protect franking credits

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
The problem with letting doctors make decisions is they have zero interest in responsible stewardship of taxpayer money

That’s a ridiculous comment. I guess we should also have some public servant on reception at each GP’s office to decide whether somebody’s complaint is cost effective enough for them to go through, see the the doctor and charge Medicare?

Having unqualified people anywhere near patient cases is completely absurd. We train people at university for years to do this, they’re experts, that’s why we trust them to deliver the right judgment.

The costing is seperate and should be. But that’s not what Roberts and these other scumbags want.

“Independent” assessments on a case by case basis, by some ******* bureaucrat, is disgraceful. It’s typical LNP - make sure actual experts are ignored so we can make our own decisions - life and death - on how we feel about it.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
If I were Labor, I'd seize upon this, true or not, and use it as a stick to hit the LNP with once an election is called. Given the past LNP scare campaigns over death taxes, the truth clearly doesn't matter in the midst of an election campaign.
I agree. Hammer the campaigners hard and every day of the campaign. 'Scott Morrison gave millions of dollars to Gerry Harvey but he has secret plans to slash the care of kids with special needs.'

It's not even untrue. They will promise to boost NDIS funding and then turn around and slash it as soon as the election is over.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s a ridiculous comment. I guess we should also have some public servant on reception at each GP’s office to decide whether somebody’s complaint is cost effective enough for them to go through, see the the doctor and charge Medicare?

Having unqualified people anywhere near patient cases is completely absurd. We train people at university for years to do this, they’re experts, that’s why we trust them to deliver the right judgment.

The costing is seperate and should be. But that’s not what Roberts and these other scumbags want.

“Independent” assessments on a case by case basis, by some ******* bureaucrat, is disgraceful. It’s typical LNP - make sure actual experts are ignored so we can make our own decisions - life and death - on how we feel about it.
This echoes what happens in the dark world of Centrelink. A doctor says that a Jobseeker recipient can't work, and Centrelink doesn't accept the medical certificate because it says 'permanent' rather than 'temporary'. So the person applies for Disability Pension and the doctor says they cannot work and realistically will never hold down a job again. Centrelink turns around and says yes they can work for 15 hours a week in a light duties job. Where?

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Let's be honest, since the Howard era, LNP welfare policy has never been about who needs it the most or the opportunity costs of spending it in one particular area, with other more deserving recipients missing out.

No, now the optimum distribution of welfare is based purely on return on investment in the form of votes. Taking money from the disabled won't be popular; but if it is subsequently funnelled into a carefully curated middle-class-welfare scheme that targets those swinging voters, those Howard battlers; then, well, the electorate may well be distracted just enough to forget about the disabled for five minutes on a Saturday afternoon.

The LNP have spent good money on buying working Australia, they won't give it up that easily.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Christopher Buttersnip

Beware of the Drop Bears
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Let's be honest, since the Howard era, LNP welfare policy has never been about who needs it the most or the opportunity costs of spending it in one particular area, with other more deserving recipients missing out.

No, now the optimum distribution of welfare is based purely on return on investment in the form of votes. Taking money from the disabled won't be popular; but if it is subsequently funnelled into a carefully curated middle-class-welfare scheme that targets those swinging voters, those Howard battlers; then, well, the electorate may well be distracted just enough to forget about the disabled for five minutes on a Saturday afternoon.

The LNP have spent good money on buying working Australia, they won't give it up that easily.

Tell me I'm wrong.
The only welfare the conservatives are really committed to is directed to the plutocracy.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Tell me I'm wrong.
I don’t really understand why Labor are so afraid to slap big taxes on the top bracket and buy those middle class voters straight back

Last election someone earning $60K was financially better off under the Liberals’ tax policy, which is crazy

Just bump up the marginal rate at $180K+, they were never voting ALP anyway

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Tell me I'm wrong.
I fully agree, and since the Howard era the Coalition has marketed welfare as a reward for 'working families' and also crumbs to reluctantly throw at the truly vulnerable (emphasis on the word 'crumbs')

Back