deadoralive

All Australian
Jun 3, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
san antonio spurs, storm
The pain is still real. Days after losing to the scum, it still hurts. Every analyst has had their say on our choke. And it's deserved.

How to fix the problem? That is the million dollar question. A variety of solutions could be given. Here's a potential list of what could be improved.

1. On field leadership in key moments. Communication in defensive set up, (granted with 88k in the crowd, it's difficult) but when you're up by that much to lose it in that way, just stings. Who are the players that could lead in that moment better to alleviate the pain we all feel now?

2. Conversion and maturity. 0.6 in the last with some of the ease of shots missed is unforgivable. Charlie Curnow on the snap in particular, why not take some time off the clock and kick a drop punt from there? Angle wasn't that acute. Desire to rush wasn't required. This is just one example.

3. Killing off the clock. 5 points up and we bomb to a pack when options available short were there to kill further time. An unnecessary waste.

4. Coaching. Not in the general, but closing out games and properly evaluating situational analysis needs to be implemented far better. Whether the players weren't smart enough to understand or coaches didn't teach....either way the situation is unacceptable. Do we bring someone in to help with this or internally get better?

5. Fitness and health of players. Sounds like a broken record, but why is the injury list for this club always so high?

Is there something I have missed? Feel free to add. Am I wrong, let me know.

The pain is still real.

deadoralive on field leadership is something that comes with maturity. We have the players in the back half to tick that box BUT sometimes common sense needs to kick in.

When analyzing the last 4 mins, simple mistakes were made and there’s no use backing over them. However, the 2 minute sign went up and as a wingman, as a swingman, as a defensive mid or as a ruckman, you should be starting to fold back into defensive positions, not pushing forward.

Common sense from LOB when the ball was in dispute that led to the passage for the Pies last goal. He kept pushing forward when he should have slid across and back to help cover the one on ones. He was in no man’s land.

Common sense for Marchy, Saad to stand 2 meters goal side of their opposition, not on the front shoulder or 1 meter in front.

Common sense that the half forwards fold into where the ball is to create congestion, not sprint to space…

We now have the body of evidence to put on repeat for the whole of summer.

Weiters, it’s on him to stand up, take responsibility and make sure the other 7 in the defensive set up listen and pay attention…

deadoralive on field leadership is something that comes with maturity. We have the players in the back half to tick that box BUT sometimes common sense needs to kick in.

When analyzing the last 4 mins, simple mistakes were made and there’s no use backing over them. However, the 2 minute sign went up and as a wingman, as a swingman, as a defensive mid or as a ruckman, you should be starting to fold back into defensive positions, not pushing forward.

Common sense from LOB when the ball was in dispute that led to the passage for the Pies last goal. He kept pushing forward when he should have slid across and back to help cover the one on ones. He was in no man’s land.

Common sense for Marchy, Saad to stand 2 meters goal side of their opposition, not on the front shoulder or 1 meter in front.

Common sense that the half forwards fold into where the ball is to create congestion, not sprint to space…

We now have the body of evidence to put on repeat for the whole of summer.

Weiters, it’s on him to stand up, take responsibility and make sure the other 7 in the defensive set up listen and pay attention…

I read/heard that the pies practice random situational plays every week i.e. two points up with 2 minutes to go, balls in defensive 50.

The pain is still real. Days after losing to the scum, it still hurts. Every analyst has had their say on our choke. And it's deserved.

How to fix the problem? That is the million dollar question. A variety of solutions could be given. Here's a potential list of what could be improved.

1. On field leadership in key moments. Communication in defensive set up, (granted with 88k in the crowd, it's difficult) but when you're up by that much to lose it in that way, just stings. Who are the players that could lead in that moment better to alleviate the pain we all feel now?

2. Conversion and maturity. 0.6 in the last with some of the ease of shots missed is unforgivable. Charlie Curnow on the snap in particular, why not take some time off the clock and kick a drop punt from there? Angle wasn't that acute. Desire to rush wasn't required. This is just one example.

3. Killing off the clock. 5 points up and we bomb to a pack when options available short were there to kill further time. An unnecessary waste.

4. Coaching. Not in the general, but closing out games and properly evaluating situational analysis needs to be implemented far better. Whether the players weren't smart enough to understand or coaches didn't teach....either way the situation is unacceptable. Do we bring someone in to help with this or internally get better?

5. Fitness and health of players. Sounds like a broken record, but why is the injury list for this club always so high?

Is there something I have missed? Feel free to add. Am I wrong, let me know.

The pain is still real.
Spot on, The 5 points to greatness.

The challenge for the club is making hard decisions
1. Cripps may need to give up the captaincy and replaced by a captain who can provide onfield direction not just example

2. Are Veteran leaders required from other clubs?

3. Do we have the guts to trade out some good players and replace with draftees who fill our needs? Do you put Mcgovern,Jsos Marchbank or Setterfield on the trade table?

We need to be bold and see Sunday's loss as a sign, we can not just tinker around the edges

We have a long way to go to achieve a reasonable level of on field leadership, we’ll need to put it on hold until Sam is about 24/25 yrs of age, our consumate professional, solid application whom leads by example, the lad could show our late twenties, early thirties yr olds, on huge remuneration, a thing or two.

Good thread.

I was thinking similar but just along lines of what development would we like to see in each of our players.

For example I’d want H to have a bit more stamina and be able to compete a bit more strongly to put himself in best position to ourmark oppo defenders. Also I want to see him lead out more.

Charlie: develop a set shot routine.

LOB: whatever it takes to become a bit more physical. More strength, maybe more muscle mass??

Setters: think he has to be in serious contention for mid group. Bit more muscle and develop a bit more attacking mindset. Defensively already very good.

Cottrell: has become a very good wing option. bit more muscle. Bit more awareness. Lose the goofiness.

Fisher: needs to be a bit more physical. Feel like he plays a bit scared sometimes so a bit more strength and muscle mass.

Martin: more muscle and become more durable.

Owies: bit more burst speed and top speed. Develop more power. Needs to leap more as well so more power will help with burst speed and leaping.

Motlop and durdin: more of the same. Physically both are in good condition.

Kennedy: more fitness. More running etc. can’t keep playing limited minutes per game.

Hewett: more speed would be good.

Cerra: more of the same. Going nicely.

Tdk: more muscle and improve kicking. Leap is there but needs to grab the ball more often.

Pitto: more general ball work. Comes across clumsy sometimes but could be due to being out for so long. General fitness lacking so preseason will be good for him.

Stocker and Williams: lose some body fat. And run run run. Get fit and stronger. Williams could do with some muscle mass.

Young: bit more strength and muscle mass. Developing nicely.

Saad weits gov and Marchy just more of same.

Some have mentioned bringing in some experience. I'm all for it. Wouldn't mind bringing in someone from Richmond or Hawthorn that have tasted success on field. Breust maybe a great pickup. Edwards, maybe another. Getting these type of players in should help with the on field maturity.

Hunger always makes food taste better. These players need to be hungrier than ever after this. We played some conditional football in games that really ended up costing us.

We were able to compete with every top 8 team apart from Brisbane and Geelong. So we have the cattle now it's all about the mindset.

Biggest disappointment for me was the inability to be efficient with our i50's. Players taking wrong options more often than not.

High pressure tendencies always creep in... Doc spinning into trouble, Charlie playing on from set shots, Cripps taking on 50 players at a time, Harry flopping to the ground, over use of handball, kicking long up the boundary line, bombing it into the f50, leaving the corridor open etc. When the heat is on the players default to these patterns and they cost us.

The only way to get these out of the system is to put them in pressure situations at training and hammer them when they default to these patterns. Drill it into their head that they need to be more composed and stick to the game plan and have the discipline required to do so.

Next year will be a very telling season for this group I reckon... Either they have taken the pain from missing the 8 this year and used it as fuel to drive them to bigger and better things, or they've allowed the disappointment to overcome them and bring them down.

I think our coaching staff has been really good at finding a brand that I can easily recognise and also suites the playing group we have. However, I think it wouldn’t hurt to bring in another senior coach to help vossy and Brad Lloyd get the playing list even more focused on what’s ahead.

As much as I love diesel I don’t think he’s actually hands on with gameday or analysis on modern footy. I think he’s been a good hire as a conduit between the external Carlton faithful and the current admin but I think it doesn’t really impact what’s actually happening on the field.

The current staff around vossy have all coached their own teams but none have coached their own afl team. I look at all the top 8 teams and they all pretty much have an assistant or two (or even 3 with the pies) who have coached their own afl teams.

With the soft cap on the footy department going up there’s a great opportunity in front of us to go after a coach that fits the criteria mentioned earlier. Leon Cameron is available and Sydney have already asked him the question. David noble is right there for the taking. There’s plenty more I haven’t mentioned but I think it’ll go a long way in us taking that next step.

Still the fifth youngest list in the afl. With Newnes and Ed possibly done we most likely will even be younger in 2023. Our list is in a great spot to jump up the ladder imo. Look at melb Sydney dogs Coll inthe last few years. We’ve finally got the right age bracket experience around our young list. We now get to add another top 10 player who arguably gets the best induction into afl life with Carlton in 20 years. Look at the development of Motlop. Kid could be anything. Carroll will be knocking the door down now as will Dow and setters fighting to take away spoee tree a from players that have been her some time. Kennedy Newnes etc.

Edit: I agree very much with OP and thoughts shared here so far… am pondering whether there’s a strategy/tactical element too. I wonder whether there’s an element in our system that even if players execute is part of the flaws we’ve seen and experienced so painfully.

I think there’s a game plan consideration here too.

Our “1 wood” - to use the parlance of our times - is to be strong in clearances, back our opponents up into their defensive half and pound away until they crack. We often do well in “time in attacking half” and similar indicators. But, there’s a price to pay. We end up with our forward line flooded, no space to operate in, and don’t necessarily get the scoreboard moving.

What feels like happens A LOT is when the opposition gets out they have acres of space and can “checkers” the ball up field for easy goals. At that point we’re lamenting our defensive work - I wonder if players have switched off or sagged out of position almost because we have the ball pinned forward With our aggressive forward half posture.

I think this is linked (a cause of?) our poor forward entries, contributes to poor conversion and was part of the dynamic of every heartbreaking, knee-buckling critical goal we gave up in close losses.

Our very game plan at the moment can somewhat nerf our biggest weapons in Harry and Charlie by denying them space. Charlie inside a packed 50 is dangerous - Charlie isolated in space is deadly. It also exposes our defence to fast ball movement, something no defence in the league wants. Maybe some players ARE doing what’s asked but it’s not quite as effective as we want.

It needs some strong tactical nous in the coach’s box to tune it, I reckon.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are jumping ahead of ourselves

Voss took an non-competitive team and made us competitive - that was step 1

The last two games are fresh and heartbreaking…

But, if you are fair minded and have a look back at our season, this unfinished team lacked cohesion & hardness during a large chunk of a game, hence we still relied on momentum swings I.e. big quarters to either catch up or have a substantial lead and hold on. We could have easily lost more games earlier in the year

Sure, some strategy for the red time is important, but let’s focus on the 90% game time, that must be our primary focus

I.e. let Voss take the team to the next level - step 2. Make our team tough and hard to play against. Team first mentality and less reliant on individual brilliance

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back