Opinion The next step to free agency in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
If players want the freedom to transfer between clubs, is it time their salaries be disclosed to the AFL public? It would also help fans to understand and deal with gaining and/or losing players at their club.

As it stands, it is another mechanism by which clubs and the AFL can hide behind and everyone has to accept it.

If players want chosose their employer much like anyone else (as their argument goes) then they have to be prepared to have salaries made public (as they do in American sports).

I don't see how disclosing salaries helps at all other than to demonstrate how close to the cap a team is each season.

Rioli magic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If players want chosose their employer much like anyone else (as their argument goes) then they have to be prepared to have salaries made public (as they do in American sports).

These don't seem to add up.

If they want to be like "everyone else" why would they have to have their salaries made public?

Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
The environment I work in, salaries are common knowledge. Most environments are similar. A poaching employer's offer becomes knowledge in the workplace. The former employer will learn how much behind the eight ball they were. They are generally given some opportunity of retaining an employee with a counter offer.

Just yesterday, Hawthorn had no idea how far off the pace they were with their offer to Young.

Don't you want to know how the cap is spent in future years which would alleviate the guessing of why Young left. This is just a simple example.

If salaries are continually kept under wraps, Clubs will have to become a lot more proactive and ruthless in moving players on so that they don't get caught out. That can't be healthy

The environment I work in, salaries are common knowledge. Most environments are similar. A poaching employer's offer becomes knowledge in the workplace. The former employer will learn how much behind the eight ball they were. They are generally given some opportunity of retaining an employee with a counter offer.

Just yesterday, Hawthorn had no idea how far off the pace they were with their offer to Young.

Don't you want to know how the cap is spent in future years which would alleviate the guessing of why Young left. This is just a simple example.

If salaries are continually kept under wraps, Clubs will have to become a lot more proactive and ruthless in moving players on so that they don't get caught out. That can't be healthy

And you call me the dickhead? Get an idea palsy.

It is far from simple.

HR Roughnstuf

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The OP is spot on.

If the public can see the contracts for Chaplin, Pearce, Lynch and Young, it would either show just how corrupt they are or Hawks supporters can see why we were shafted and it would be a lot easier to accept.

I have a feeling Hawthorn might be getting shafted because AFL is classing compensation on a per year basis and are not factoring in the length of contract.

The OP is spot on.

If the public can see the contracts for Chaplin, Pearce, Lynch and Young, it would either show just how corrupt they are or Hawks supporters can see why we were shafted and it would be a lot easier to accept.

I have a feeling Hawthorn might be getting shafted because AFL is classing compensation on a per year basis and are not factoring in the length of contract.

No, that's not it.

Keep trying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back