The Next Two Weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

I would counter that by saying that unless a player needs a rest(say if their data is down), then picking a few veterans to rest now is unnecessary. There is a bye in a few weeks. Go hard until then.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don’t get me wrong, if there’s no data to suggest they need or would benefit from a rest, you wouldn’t do it. But now is the time if there’s any indication of soreness/fatigue/players playing at 85% rather than 98%.

I’d argue that resting three players per game IS making wholesale changes.

One at the absolute maximum assuming they aren’t carrying any injuries.

Well I said “two or three” anyway and now we’re arguing semantics over what “wholesale changes” means.

Geelong and Richmond were crazy to rest players. Think of what they could have accomplished if they hadn't.
Clearly a terrible strategy.

Geelong and Richmond were crazy to rest players. Think of what they could have accomplished if they hadn't.
Pendles had a week off with his eye injury and was subbed out the following week, Adams had a week off when he was suspended..a few others have had forced weeks off through injury. We have the bye coming up. I'm sure throughout the year others will get a week off here and there as required.

Can’t recall if they rested multiple players a few weeks prior to the bye round. Regardless Collingwood need to run their own race. If we rest players it should be done very moderately.

Well I said “two or three” anyway and now we’re arguing semantics over what “wholesale changes” means.

Yes, I agree that we are arguing over semantics. Three ( per game) is a lot in my book…. Too many unless there’s genuine injury related reasons that a rest would do them good.

Giving the kids a run for it’s own sake is fraught with risk.

Pendles had a week off with his eye injury and was subbed out the following week, Adams had a week off when he was suspended..a few others have had forced weeks off through injury. We have the bye coming up. I'm sure throughout the year others will get a week off here and there as required.
Hope so. Don't want a repeat of 2011.

Not sure Bucks ever rested anybody!

And certainly not while a game clear on top of the ladder with an opportunity to move two games and percentage clear.

Fair point. Players were getting injured all the time.

I’ve wondered whether there is some correlation between player happiness / unhappiness / content and player injury? (Over and above whatever impact the fitness folks have)

Dunno what the causal factor would be - maybe body is less prone to injury when the mind is less stressed / tense? Maybe happy players are more in tune with their body’s limits? Maybe injuries are the body’s way of getting it out of a stressful situation?

What’s happening at WCE at the moment is unprecedented - and surely that can’t be all down to rotten luck.

What happened to us when Buckley took over was like a light switch had been turned off and our players started dropping like flies - and that was under the same fitness leader (Butterfant)

I assume that the coaching staff have identified players who they think can compete at AFL level this season and are currently playing VFL, as they will need contingency plans for when players might become injured.

Fly made reference to Macrae and Harrison (I think) showing really strong form in the VFL. I expect one of them will be given an opportunity across the next 2 weeks, even if it's in the capacity as sub, as the coaches will want to have a look at them, even if only for a half or a quarter.

Hope so. Don't want a repeat of 2011.
Nothing about our club is remotely similar to 2011, so highly doubt that will be a problem. I'm sure Fly, Wright & co are well aware of what needs to be done to be fit & firing in September. Not to mention Jarrod Wade. And as said, we actually have already rested players through injury & suspension.

Play the best lineup

… but sub the older on ball players out at half time and give Carmichael, Macrae and Bianco a run in the middle

I wouldn’t bother debuting any of the 1st or 2nd year kids now…

Just keep a steady lineup as possible heading into finals

You simply have to love the idea that West Coast will most likely be fielding their best side for the year against us lol

Exactly like last year.

They're even talking about McGovern potentially coming back despite saying he was 5 weeks away just a week or so ago lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair point. Players were getting injured all the time.

I’ve wondered whether there is some correlation between player happiness / unhappiness / content and player injury? (Over and above whatever impact the fitness folks have)

"...
Using Bayesian logistic regression analyses, we showed that perceived negative life event stress from teammates was associated with an increased risk of acute injuries..."

It's just a study but there's also some data to support that stress impacts recovery from injury and chances of recurrence.

I would counter that by saying that unless a player needs a rest(say if their data is down), then picking a few veterans to rest now is unnecessary. There is a bye in a few weeks. Go hard until then.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agreed - after Wet Toast we play one game in 23 days or something.................the way we're travelling that should be enough of a break for all but the most banged up.

Jeez, our fans are good at hubris.

I'm so glad Macrae isn't.

Anyone remember what happened last time we played West Coast?

I'm flying over to watch the Perth game, and if anything like that Marvel debacle goes down, I'll be writing a series of sternly worded emails, I can tell you

I'm flying over to watch the Perth game, and if anything like that Marvel debacle goes down, I'll be writing a series of sternly worded emails, I can tell you

So because a team lost once while resting players, we should never rest players?

I put it to you that that is an insufficient sample size and that Wade seems to know what he is doing, whether he decides rest is warranted or otherwise.

So because a team lost once while resting players, we should never rest players?

I put it to you that that is an insufficient sample size and that Wade seems to know what he is doing, whether he decides rest is warranted or otherwise.

I put it to you that if you underestimate your opposition and get cocky you have yourself to blame for the outcome, and Macrae won't be so silly.

I would welcome an Allen or a Finlay into the team, but because we want to give them some exposure and their VFL from warrants, not because we think we can get away with putting a sub-optimal 22 out there and still win because the opposition is garbage, which is the essence of this thread.

It's fraught with peril IMO

I put it to you that if you underestimate your opposition and get cocky you have yourself to blame for the outcome, and Macrae won't be so silly.

I would welcome an Allen or a Finlay into the team, but because we want to give them some exposure and their VFL from warrants, not because we think we can get away with putting a sub-optimal 22 out there and still win because the opposition is garbage, which is the essence of this thread.

It's fraught with peril IMO
Never flirt with form. Setting us up for disaster. All our players seem fine for now.
I keep hearing Elliott is sore with zero proof this is the case.

It’s hard to have a hubris when you’re stuck in the twos I guess

Too narrative-y for me. There’s no evidence of anyone getting cocky or that we’re underestimating our opposition. I’m more interested in the reality of where some of our players are with their health and less with the optics or opportunities for recrimination if we happen to lose a home and away game.

Never flirt with form. Setting us up for disaster.
giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back