The Next Two Weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Never flirt with form. Setting us up for disaster. All our players seem fine for now.
I keep hearing Elliott is sore with zero proof this is the case.
It makes me laugh when people say that about Billy. He's always thrown his body around like he's built like Checkers. And always had that pained look on his face. He gives 110% at every contest. With the amount of time he's missed through injury, it actually should have added an extra couple of years onto his career.

Too narrative-y for me. There’s no evidence of anyone getting cocky or that we’re underestimating our opposition. I’m more interested in the reality of where some of our players are with their health and less with the optics or opportunities for recrimination if we happen to lose a home and away game.

See OP and many replies.

And even your closing sentence lol.

It's too early to be resting players with a view to finals anyway. There's a bye in a couple of weeks

It’s hard to have a hubris when you’re stuck in the twos I guess

McRae. Thank you for pointing out my error.

But one doesn't have 'a hubris' - one has hubris.

When one is a Collingwood supporter who should know better.

It reminds me of our last H and A game against the Cats in 2011

See OP and many replies.

And even your closing sentence lol.

It's too early to be resting players with a view to finals anyway. There's a bye in a couple of weeks

It really doesn't matter if the supporters are cocky 😆 thankfully we're not the ones playing or coaching.

Fly seems the most unlikely person to ever underestimate the opposition or get cocky.

McRae. Thank you for pointing out my error.

But one doesn't have 'a hubris' - one has hubris.

When one is a Collingwood supporter who should know better.

Had we took opportunities earlier in 2011 to rest players the fiasco against the cats doesn’t need to happen.

I want to see one at least one 100+ point flogging

The bye is close so resting is less important than rounds 18 onwards

Maybe Crisp can start sub one game, so his streak is kept and gets a rest in somewhere

Had we took opportunities earlier in 2011 to rest players the fiasco against the cats doesn’t need to happen.

We did. We didn't even try against them in the final HandA game. Because we thought we didn't need to.

We lost the grand final that day, a month prior. I walked home seething.

Don't ever give the opposition less than your best effort to beat them. It's cancerous to do otherwise.

I don't mean that you don't have an eye to the future. You'd be silly if you didn't. But assuming that you are going to beat a particular opponent to the extent that you can handicap your own performance is a surefire way to achieve failure

Any time you have the opportunity to make a player conditioning decision based on what may or may not have happened 12 years ago, under a completely different set of interchange rules, mind you; you simply have to take it.

We did. We didn't even try against them in the final HandA game. Because we thought we didn't need to.

We lost the grand final that day, a month prior. I walked home seething.

Don't ever give the opposition less than your best effort to beat them. It's cancerous to do otherwise.

I don't mean that you don't have an eye to the future. You'd be silly if you didn't. But assuming that you are going to beat a particular opponent to the extent that you can handicap your own performance is a surefire way to achieve failure
My rhetoric detector just exploded into a blinding, white hot ball of fire.

I think it will be business as usual until a lot deeper into the season, Fly and co seem far to grounded to start getting ahead of themselves and trying to be too fancy with it. I'm sure there'll be the odd resting of a player here or there over coming weeks, or some tactical sub selections (i.e Sidey starts as a sub, pendles comes off for him at half time etc etc) against some "easier" opponents, but a "Ross Lyon-esque" mass resting seems highly unlikely.

If I was Fly I'd have round 21 circled against Hawthorn as the last chance to really rest anyone that needs it. The finals lay out (or at least the top few rungs) should just about be locked away by then, so in the scenario where a top 2 spot is all but locked in, you'd potentially look at giving the Moores, Pendles, JDG's of the world a week off and get them primed for a big 6 or so games.

Any time you have the opportunity to make a player conditioning decision based on what may or may not have happened 12 years ago, under a completely different set of interchange rules, mind you; you simply have to take it.

It was hubris.

And the OP is fuelled by hubris.

'Player conditioning decision' is a glorious piece of rhetoric you just made up. I'm here for it.

I'll say again that there is a bye coming up soon. If Crispy can play 191 in a row, Pendles can do without two breaks in five weeks I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was hubris.

And the OP is fuelled by hubris.

'Player conditioning decision' is a glorious piece of rhetoric you just made up. I'm here for it.
“Player conditioning decision” isn’t rhetoric, it’s an accurate description of precisely what it pertains to. It’s not even subjective.

Your doomsday scenario “hubris” and “cancer” claptrap is the rhetoric.

Good for them. Rather than "resting" players; hopefully it's down through putting a mini-preseason through anyone who needs to up their endurance a bit.

If Wade wants to ramp up anyone’s fitness while keeping them clear of contact and potential contact injuries for a week, at a manageable level in terms of the upheaval of the playing group, I think it’s justifiable given our current win-loss.

So because a team lost once while resting players, we should never rest players?

I put it to you that that is an insufficient sample size and that Wade seems to know what he is doing, whether he decides rest is warranted or otherwise.
I trust Wade to make the right calls I really rate him as our players are running on top the ground as per last season, outside of the coaches and GW he is the best appointment we have made.

I think Wade is at least on a par with Buttiefant I still maintain the side had 1 more game in them unlike the Swans who played their GF against us,you could tell by their reaction to winning Like Keating said a Souffle does not rise twice.

If Wade wants to ramp up anyone’s fitness while keeping them clear of contact and potential contact injuries for a week, at a manageable level in terms of the upheaval of the playing group, I think it’s justifiable given our current win-loss.
I agree

Quality rebuttal. I am shooketh.

You don't understand what rhetoric is, apparently.

Talk to Carlton about the effect of not doing your best always. It spreads, insidiously, through your system and makes it impossible to ever produce your actual best when you want to.

It's like cancer. That's a metaphor. It isn't rhetoric.

Hubris is arrogant pride. I don't know how the hell you categorise that as rhetoric when it's literally my interpretation of the cause of the attitudes put forth in this thread.

"Player conditioning decision' is just a wonderful turn of phrase that any corporate consultant would be proud to have coined

Talk to Carlton about the effect of not doing your best always. It spreads, insidiously, through your system and makes it impossible to ever produce your actual best when you want to.

Hubris is arrogant pride. I don't know how the hell you categorise that as rhetoric when it's literally my interpretation of the cause of the attitudes put forth in this thread.

"Player conditioning decision' is just a wonderful turn of phrase that any corporate consultant would be proud to have coined

You might want to back away Ingy.

Rhetoric is persuasive language.

"insidiously" the cancer metaphor, hubris - all rhetoric.

Your use of the terms “cancer” and “hubris” is hyperbolic, and based not on any factual information but your biased opinion, which is a giant flashing neon sign (there’s a metaphor) towards rhetoric.

“Player conditioning decision” is simply what it is. A decision based upon whether the player is better off having their training loads managed at this point in the season. The term isn’t intended to persuade anyone of anything… that’s just what it is.

You might want to back away Ingy.

Rhetoric is persuasive language.

"insidiously" the cancer metaphor, hubris - all rhetoric.

If you're talking about Aristotle, then sure, mate.

But these days I think that rhetoric describes language that isn't designed to communicate so much as do the opposite.

That's the way politicians use it and that's the realm it's seen/criticised in most.

I don't think branding all language intended to be persuasive, even if sincere and genuine, as rhetoric is very helpful these days

Last edited:
Your use of the terms “cancer” and “hubris” is hyperbolic, and based not on any factual information but your biased opinion, which is a giant flashing neon sign (there’s a metaphor) towards rhetoric.

“Player conditioning decision” is simply what it is. A decision based upon whether the player is better off having their training loads managed at this point in the season. The term isn’t intended to persuade anyone of anything… that’s just what it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the outs - "Collingwood - Pendlebury(player conditioning decision)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back