Injury The Nick '426' Smith tribute thread: Post all injury news here

From last night:

BenKen - has had stress reactions in his foot for the last 9 months. Will be having surgery at years' end but is playing through it.
Kent - almost certain to miss Rd1.
Tyson - virtually good to go.
Watts - 'media beatup' according to one J Hogan of Perth.

He's playing a season with stress reactions?

Hope it doesn't turn into something worse.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's a worry that Kent still has the same injury (back) and so does Vanders (ankle). They really don't seem to be getting on top of it. They are both important and underrated players too.

Canary

All Australian
Oct 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Reading FC
Updated with some more news from demonland regarding Kent and Garlett.

Re; Mitch King I believe it was reported that he is on the LTI list because of his ACL from last year, most likely just so we can upgrade a rookie for Round One (considering King probably won't get a game this year unless both Gawn and Spencil collapse at the same time).

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Is Frost's injured toe the same one that wrecked him in 2015? If so his toe is approaching the level of David Schwarz's knee.
I thought it was an ankle or something. No hang on it was a toe. I've remembered now.

Well maybe it's a different toe? Should be 90 percent likely not to be the same toe?

Hang on again. I just read the article which is fairly crystal that it is the same toe as the 2015 toe. I think it's the bit where it even says that his toe is sore, the injury that forced him out in 2015. That would be it.

Stop asking questions. I've made a Jackson Pollock of a post now and I blame you.

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
I thought it was an ankle or something. No hang on it was a toe. I've remembered now.

Well maybe it's a different toe? Should be 90 percent likely not to be the same toe?

Hang on again. I just read the article which is fairly crystal that it is the same toe as the 2015 toe. I think it's the bit where it even says that his toe is sore, the injury that forced him out in 2015. That would be it.

Stop asking questions. I've made a Jackson Pollock of a post now and I blame you.

I don't like your toe-n

Back and forward line injuries reaching #farceshambles standards of old. Lucky the midfield is still fit, and the key posts.

Kent, Garlett, Kennedy and JKH all injured for round one would be cruel.

Brayshaw Watts Petracca
ANB Hogan Salem

Would almost be our best bet. Using mids who can kick goals as crumbing forwards. Johnstone and Bugg also potential options.

It's the new ACL isn't it? What do they do in the EPL to avoid stress fractures in feet? Apparently their training loads are massive. Are our grounds just too hard?

Soccer players are generally lighter - less load going through their weight bearing joints/structures.

If Vanders was a soccer player he'd probably be 80-5kg's instead of 92-3kg's.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Soccer players are generally lighter - less load going through their weight bearing joints/structures.

If Vanders was a soccer player he'd probably be 80-5kg's instead of 92-3kg's.

Yep, got it in one I think.

I feel like soccer players will genuinely get injured by innocuous contact sometimes, obviously a lot of them love to play it up but they wouldn't be used to much physical contact I think. If you've ever played footy you'd understand the first game back every time you get a bunch of bruises (Or at least I did) that stop after 1-2 games.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Jetta, watts, hibbered, Tyson, Kent and Garlett all playing this weekend for Casey.

It would be a risk to take them all into the saints game except watts as he form related as opposed to injury/fitness

Jetta, watts, hibbered, Tyson, Kent and Garlett all playing this weekend for Casey.

It would be a risk to take them all into the saints game except watts as he form related as opposed to injury/fitness
Will be very interesting to see how they each go.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Garland has done his ACL. Not good for him as he gets older, not good for us as we already have a few injured defenders.

Removes any chance of trading him at the end of the year too.

Garland has done his ACL. Not good for him as he gets older, not good for us as we already have a few injured defenders.

Removes any chance of trading him at the end of the year too.
He was worth about as much as Dunn, which wasn't much at all.

Back