• Twilight (5pm)

Votes: 82 21.2%
  • Night (7pm)

Votes: 74 19.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

if the ratings are good there is NO WAY its going back to day

AFL only care about money
They might put it back to day for the remainder of this rights deal, in order to try and get more money out of the next deal. But that's it. Once its done, there won't be any going back regardless of whether people want it or not (which seems mixed).

Hopefully last night gf ever but doubt it, because people like lights and stuff at night. Who really gives a s**t.

Games of football are better during the day, usually drier and less slippery

Nothing beats that afternoon grand final. Friends, families, kids, dogs whatever. People who don't give a shite about football sit away from those who love it. The whole day is a build up to something grand. Then the after game BBQ, post match half drunken analysis, off to Swan Street or the equivalent at 6pm not midnight.

Night grand final was just another game. Go to moomba if you want fireworks, watch Rage if you want to hear pop songs. The Grand final sprint, which is usually a good laugh and a great anti-highlight was squeezed into quarter time in between add breaks so we could watch more bells and whistles. The only highlight was watching Billy Brownless sing the national anthem pre-game.

I'm a Richmond supporter and that was a ho hum no fun Covid grand final.

There has never been a night Anzac Day game. In the last four years the start has moved to 3:20, but that’s the latest it’s ever been. It may finish with lights on in the late April gloom, but it’s not a night game.
Not all finals at the MCG are night games either. Our last one there v GWS in 2019 started at 3:20.
That time slot finishes the game at 6:00, so the network can cut straight to the news.
Was talking about the ANZAC eve game...just a completely different atmosphere.

And even the 2020 ANZAC day game was scheduled for a twilight start - 4:20 start originally.

Pies v GWS PF in 2019 was a 4:45 twilight start, only reason not a night was to ensure GWS players could get back to Sydney.

Thing is the by the time of medal presentations it’s late and end of the night. You want the whole evening and night to celebrate... no time for a party. Kids have to go to bed etc.

Was talking about the ANZAC eve game...just a completely different atmosphere.

And even the 2020 ANZAC day game was scheduled for a twilight start - 4:20 start originally.

Pies v GWS PF in 2019 was a 4:45 twilight start, only reason not a night was to ensure GWS players could get back to Sydney.

‘not directly having a go at posters, but isn’t rating the entertainment value of ANZAC games a bit far down the rabbit hole? Supposed to be solemn tributes

The ratings are in
3,812,000 (Metro 2,979,000 Regional 833,000)
The 2020 audience is well up on 2019 when 2,939,000 tuned in with 2,197,000 in metro markets. 2020 is the biggest AFL Grand Final audience since 2016 when 4,121,000 were watching Western Bulldogs defeat Sydney Swans.

TV ratings breakdown by market:
Sydney
Melbourne 1,583,000
Brisbane 383,000
Adelaide 265,000
Perth 335,000

Queensland 141,000
Northern NSW 131,000
Southern NSW 120,000
Victoria 260,000
Tasmania 98,000
Western Australia 82,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ratings are in
3,812,000 (Metro 2,979,000 Regional 833,000)
The 2020 audience is well up on 2019 when 2,939,000 tuned in with 2,197,000 in metro markets. 2020 is the biggest AFL Grand Final audience since 2016 when 4,121,000 were watching Western Bulldogs defeat Sydney Swans.

TV ratings breakdown by market:
Sydney
Melbourne 1,583,000
Brisbane 383,000
Adelaide 265,000
Perth 335,000

Queensland 141,000
Northern NSW 131,000
Southern NSW 120,000
Victoria 260,000
Tasmania 98,000
Western Australia 82,000
Of course though. It was Richmond vs Geelong and it wasn't in Melbourne, I'd be surprised if Victoria's numbers were down

Of course though. It was Richmond vs Geelong and it wasn't in Melbourne, I'd be surprised if Victoria's numbers were down

Sydney's and Brisbane's ratings are considerably higher than average. The AFL's narrative in changing the grand final start time is to get more viewers from those states and it looks like it has worked.

Disclaimer: quite possibly still drunk

As far as entertainment went, DMAs sounded good, but burnt one of their 2 songs doing a Cher cover that admittedly had the boomer mums out of their seats.

Everything was forgettable except for old mate from Wolfmother. I’m not even a fan of theirs generally speaking, but I’d be lying if I said Joker and the Thief didn’t get the heart pumping.

Last night was a great spectacle.

IMO, last night proved that both a night time and non-MCG based Grand Final can work well. Time for the AFL to move on from the expanded VFL system and become a true national game. Move the GF to a different state each year.

Disclaimer: quite possibly still drunk

As far as entertainment went, DMAs sounded good, but burnt one of their 2 songs doing a Cher cover that admittedly had the boomer mums out of their seats.

Everything was forgettable except for old mate from Wolfmother. I’m not even a fan of theirs generally speaking, but I’d be lying if I said Joker and the Thief didn’t get the heart pumping.
With all the covers played, a friend of mine made the observation that it may have been simpler to get Captain Spalding* out there.

* one for the older chaps

Later Grand Finals are the future and the future is here. Folks (mainly Vics) crapping on about how s**t it is and should stick with tradition need to get with the times. Prelims were once played during the day too.

If there's a beef, it's that the GF should start a little earlier. Years of experiencing 7:30pm NRL GF starts so can relate to how late the game ends. AFL match duration is longer. AFL probably thought they could get away with a 7:30pm start due to shorter quarters, but two major stoppages last night basically had the game going pre-COVID length. Having presentations and all wrapping up at 11pm is too late. I'd say a 6pm or 6:30pm start is the go.

WAY better spectacle at night....

Just imagine if they had acts at the beginning of the game that didn't put people to sleep. Thank god for up there cazaly and wolfmother.

Y'all better get used to it being in prime time at night. Once the ratings are released cnt see channel 7 wanting anything different.

Back