• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
It seems our tv networks, buoyed by the ratings for the NRL GF, are seeking a night/twilight grand final once again, with the head of Channel 7, Lewis Martin, commenting on MMM's Hot Breakfast, that such a move would given 7 a million more viewers.

For me, I would be worried about what a night/twilight grand final could actually do.

How many of us love a drink on GF day? By extension, how many of us get hammered? What would moving the match to the evening/night would do in terms of that consumption? How many people would then end up in hospital as a result of either the consumption or the potential violence from it.

Should our tv networks have more control on when we view the match?

And what about the impact on families or corporates?

So let's see how people feel.

It seems our tv networks, buoyed by the ratings for the NRL GF, are seeking a night/twilight grand final once again, with the head of Channel 7, Lewis Martin, commenting on MMM's Hot Breakfast, that such a move would given 7 a million more viewers.

For me, I would be worried about what a night/twilight grand final could actually do.

How many of us love a drink on GF day? By extension, how many of us get hammered? What would moving the match to the evening/night would do in terms of that consumption? How many people would then end up in hospital as a result of either the consumption or the potential violence from it.

Should our tv networks have more control on when we view the match?

And what about the impact on families or corporates?

So let's see how people feel.
For my own selfishness it would work, but why change something that works already?

It is inevitable that the AFL must go night time. Despite the ridiculous histrionics of the Sydeny Morning Herald the average ratings for the two games were very close indeed, as the AFL match-up averaged 3.5 million viewers compared to the NRL's 3.6 million. The NRL have stolen a march on us with their night Grand Final and unless "Gilligan" moves swiftly the margin will be wider next year.

Last edited:
I reckon it's time to give it a go. And NOT because thugby league does it, but because it would be an even more spectacular spectacle at night, and would rate its arse off.

The dumbest reason in history not to change something is that 'it's the way it's always been done'.

It should be trialed, at the very least.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but for the sake of the post, I'll assume it isn't.

Solution - don't get sh*tfaced during the day. Problem solved.

I have a suspicion (pure conjecture, I swear) that people are going to get absolutely shitfaced on grand final day, no matter what time it's on at. Do you think everyone stops drinking at 5.30 because the game is over by then?

Twilight games at the G where half the ground is in the shade are the worst for TV viewing anyway.

CH7 should have no say in how the game is run, if that results in slightly less money I'm the TV rights, then so be it

It's not like the ratings would have had anything to do with one game being over at half time and the other going down to the wire for an overtime finish is there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does it need more viewers?

More money? Why more money? Don't they make enough?

I think it works really well, and continues to be sustainable. The day GF is one of the few remaining non America-fied elements of our game.
because there is a battle to the death with NRL and by jove we must win :rolleyes:

Recently I had a discussion about the concept of a night / twilight GF with an employee of the AFL. Let's just say that after having already consumed a number of bevvies, I was rather enthusiastically against it as I always have been (she was in favour).

When discussing the reasons behind moving it, the argument was always about the entertainment value (pre-game, etc) as opposed to it adding anything to the game itself.

But having watched several NRL GFs (including a fair chunk of Sunday night) for some reason I think it's time to give it a go. Having a night GF doesn't mean you have to start drinking at midday (as the OP doesn't exactly suggest, but does hint at over consumption of alcohol).

Last year I attended a mate's BBQ for the NRL GF that started at around 4pm. As far as I know, nobody got glassed as a result. And it was a great night. The pre game entertainment is so much better at night with the addition of lighting, and the sound travels better.

The last few AFL GFs I have barely bothered to even watch it as it's so lame (although, Bryan Adams was better than I expected).

Nobody whinges that the prelims are on at night. Why not then the GF?

because there is a battle to the death with NRL and by jove we must win :rolleyes:
battle or faux battle, I have no doubt the AFL would look at the "peak" ratings of the NRL GF and conclude that the significant gap is due to the timeslot

And they won't like that

I love it during at 2:30 but in the next six years there will be at least one night GF. I do not believe that enormous outlay for the rights would have occurred without a guarantee.

battle or faux battle, I have no doubt the AFL would look at the "peak" ratings of the NRL GF and conclude that the significant gap is due to the timeslot

And they won't like that
i've got no doubt the AFL are petty enough to concern themselves with that, absolutely
just always bemuses me those with no financial interest in the game worrying about money and prestige associated with being #1

atmosphere of anything is better at night. twilight would be perfect so gives people time to party after.

are their any legitimate reasons why people don't want a night GF other than 'americans are stupid'? maybe there's a reason why so many other sports around the world have their main event at night.

Back