3DS The Nintendo 3DS Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
I have a 2DS where I play my Pokemon games (all I play on 3DS these days) and I completely forgot that I bought a US 3DS on launch several years ago.
I ended up installing custom firmware on it a couple nights ago to try and run some downloaded, ummm, 'Linux ISOs'.

Turns out there's an app that lets you download any game off the E-Store, for free. Damn how far has the hacking community gone with this. Nintendo must be really pissed off about it. Now I kinda wish I modded mine earlier to play the leaked ROM of Pokemon Moon hehe.
That's why Nintendo have now set this up.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/12/...k-to-search-for-nintendo-3ds-vulnerabilities/

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I have a 2DS where I play my Pokemon games (all I play on 3DS these days) and I completely forgot that I bought a US 3DS on launch several years ago.
I ended up installing custom firmware on it a couple nights ago to try and run some downloaded, ummm, 'Linux ISOs'.

Turns out there's an app that lets you download any game off the E-Store, for free. Damn how far has the hacking community gone with this. Nintendo must be really pissed off about it. Now I kinda wish I modded mine earlier to play the leaked ROM of Pokemon Moon hehe.
With that said I buy the games from devs i like because I want them to keep making games...

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

This hard to do?

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I followed the guide here, it worked for me.

https://3ds.guide/

Just double check your firmware and make sure you follow every step correctly.
Apparently an announcement was made that they have completely blown open the 3ds firmware and the homebrew scene have done a madness.

Which is good, 3ds at the end of the cycle means if I hack it and load it with snes, nes and sega games before I leave the bus rides in Europe will be bearable.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Apparently an announcement was made that they have completely blown open the 3ds firmware and the homebrew scene have done a madness.

Which is good, 3ds at the end of the cycle means if I hack it and load it with snes, nes and sega games before I leave the bus rides in Europe will be bearable.
Was in the works for a while. Apparently soon (or now, havent checked up on it) you can install custom FW on any version (before, the newer firmware versions required a hardmod).

I only really use my hacked 3DS to gen my Pokemon in Sun hehe

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Decided to install CFW on my New 3DS

My god the possibilities my 3DS has now. love how I can dump my own carts and then install them to the SD card via an app also it's great for getting VC games that you cant get on the eShop.
I dont have a N3DS so I cant do this sadly, but you can stream your games and play them on your PC. There's a hack that gives Sun/Moon high poly textures too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Decided to install CFW on my New 3DS

My god the possibilities my 3DS has now. love how I can dump my own carts and then install them to the SD card via an app also it's great for getting VC games that you cant get on the eShop.

That appeals to me a lot im taking my 3ds with me over seas and I dont want to have to carry my games around with me and risk them being stolen or lost.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
That appeals to me a lot im taking my 3ds with me over seas and I dont want to have to carry my games around with me and risk them being stolen or lost.

The only thing it doesn't transfer is your save file from the cartridge. You can export your saves from the cartridge to use with the installed version of the game but I haven't come across an easy method to do it.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The only thing it doesn't transfer is your save file from the cartridge. You can export your saves from the cartridge to use with the installed version of the game but I haven't come across an easy method to do it.
Use SaveDataFiler. Lets you export your game saves from your physical games. Then you can put the save onto your digital copy. I used CIAngel to download all my physical games that I own and then transferred the game saves from cart to the digital copy. I only had issues copying my Majora's Mask game save from physical to digital... oh well gives me another opportunity to play thru it again.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Use SaveDataFiler. Lets you export your game saves from your physical games. Then you can put the save onto your digital copy. I used CIAngel to download all my physical games that I own and then transferred the game saves from cart to the digital copy. I only had issues copying my Majora's Mask game save from physical to digital... oh well gives me another opportunity to play thru it again.

Ta.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Backed up half of my 3DS library yesterday to the PC with decrypt9 I have Mario Kart 7 and Ocarina of Time installed atm.

Few forum sites I went to say it's fine to go on line it because installing games to the 3DS via FBI installer uses your consoles key as apposed to a flash card. Nintendo can detect pirated roms because people who download them will all have the same key.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back