Wii/U The Nintendo Wii U thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a heads up, probably the last two physical releases for the console are up for pre order - Just Dance 2018 and Axiom Verge Multiverse ed.

Axiom Verge is a really nice way to go out and will probably be a collectors item in the years to come.

Just Dance still gets released for the original Wii, there's a good chance of JD 2019 coming to Wii U as well.

:cool:

Further to this, look at sales so far this generation compared to last.

PS4 will probably beat PS3, might get to 100 million.
One will not beat the 360. They'd be happy with 50-60 million.
Wii U will not get close to the Wii. It will be surprising if it gets to even 20 million.
3DS absolute best case scenario is still half of the DS, more likely 60-70 million.
Vita is on track for a 10th of the PSP's sales - 8 million.

The entire market has dramatically shrunk, and the console makers need to consider whether the traditional pattern of hardware release is still viable.
The market hasn't shrunk apart from the wii casual gamers. The truth is that there's two generations running in parallel. Many haven't transitioned yet.
Simply untrue.

AD51D863-E4C0-422F-9BB8-054D3F4883A8.png

So the tiny growth in console market revenue (not profits), which may not even be accounting for inflation, and which is primarily due to the non-traditional Switch, is meant to be proof of your point, even as Nintendo tosses up the best way to release hardware going forward, and Microsoft moves towards a model whereby Xbox becomes more and more integrated with Windows, suggesting they too may abandon the traditional hardware release model, and Sony has abandoned the handheld console market.

All for something said more than four years ago.

How interesting.

So the tiny growth in console market revenue (not profits), which may not even be accounting for inflation, and which is primarily due to the non-traditional Switch, is meant to be proof of your point, even as Nintendo tosses up the best way to release hardware going forward, and Microsoft moves towards a model whereby Xbox becomes more and more integrated with Windows, suggesting they too may abandon the traditional hardware release model, and Sony has abandoned the handheld console market.

All for something said more than four years ago.

How interesting.

Your key statements were clearly wrong.

Which ones were my 'key' statements? Nintendo did not do a traditional console, Microsoft has put themselves in a limbo whereby their traditional console is acting more like a gaming-only PC, Sony is the only one sticking with the model. That fits with what I said in my post that I was responding to in the first post you quoted.

I correctly estimated the sales figures for the consoles.

The entire console market has indeed shrunk from where it was at the peak of the Wii/PS3/360 generation, a period your stats don't even show.

Unless...did you think by 'market' I meant video games in general, and not the console market specifically? Contextually it seems pretty clear that the discussion was about the console market, but that's the only way I can make sense of your post.

Which ones were my 'key' statements? Nintendo did not do a traditional console, Microsoft has put themselves in a limbo whereby their traditional console is acting more like a gaming-only PC, Sony is the only one sticking with the model. That fits with what I said in my post that I was responding to in the first post you quoted.

I correctly estimated the sales figures for the consoles.

The entire console market has indeed shrunk from where it was at the peak of the Wii/PS3/360 generation, a period your stats don't even show.

Unless...did you think by 'market' I meant video games in general, and not the console market specifically? Contextually it seems pretty clear that the discussion was about the console market, but that's the only way I can make sense of your post.

“The entire market has dramatically shrunk”.

Does this mean you've spent four and a half years dwelling on a statement that you've taken out of its context to mean something other than what it meant?

It’s not out of context and you were clearly wrong as history now shows that both the console market and entire market haven’t dramatically shrunk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool, so the market has shrunk for consoles given inflation and the combination of Nintendo's handhelds and home consoles into the same device.

Please tell me you just stumbled across this thread and that you didn't actually sit on this for four years.

I couldn’t remember the thread or context but I was reading about Switch sales and vaguely remembered this debate, so I searched it and read over your comments and had a laugh.

Your statement was wrong and it’s funny to see you trying to redefine the core of what you were saying at the time.

I just think you look like an idiot not being able to say “hey I got it wrong this time” and I genuinely wonder if it’s a reflection of your character IRL (not that it matters, but just a curiosity). I know you’ve been mocked for being stubborn/wrong on the Essendon board, from memory.

I couldn’t remember the thread or context but I was reading about Switch sales and vaguely remembered this debate, so I searched it and read over your comments and had a laugh.

Your statement was wrong and it’s funny to see you trying to redefine the core of what you were saying at the time.

I just think you look like an idiot not being able to say “hey I got it wrong this time” and I genuinely wonder if it’s a reflection of your character IRL (not that it matters, but just a curiosity). I know you’ve been mocked for being stubborn/wrong on the Essendon board, from memory.

Oh yes, I'm certainly stubborn...but only when the facts back me up. You haven't actually countered anything I've said, and apparently still think that my post meant that I was talking about the market for video games in general even though it would've made no sense for me to say that given the context of the posts. You may also be getting me confused with eth-dog re: Essendon board, which doesn't speak wonders about your memory.

Oh yes, I'm certainly stubborn...but only when the facts back me up. You haven't actually countered anything I've said, and apparently still think that my post meant that I was talking about the market for video games in general even though it would've made no sense for me to say that given the context of the posts. You may also be getting me confused with eth-dog re: Essendon board, which doesn't speak wonders about your memory.

No it was definitely you on the board.

You said the market (whether you meant consoles alone or entire gaming industry) had dramatically shrunk. This is factually, demonstratively wrong. That is a counter, a check-mate and a knock-out blow.

You have countered with no facts and I award you no points.

To try to say that consoles + handhelds combined is what you meant is a very cringey effort to pretend you were right, and I’m sorry that you were wrong but I can’t do anything about it.

Last edited:
u can't fight fate

9870f9b6581ce2455cec10b40772b4210d6fdb2e6fbb2265982aefba28897478.jpg

No it was definitely you on the board.

You said the market (whether you meant consoles alone or entire gaming industry) had dramatically shrunk. This is factually, demonstratively wrong. That is a counter, a check-mate and a knock-out blow.

You have countered with no facts and I award you no points.

To try to say that consoles + handhelds combined is what you meant is a very cringey effort to pretend you were right, and I’m sorry that you were wrong but I can’t do anything about it.

Dearie me.

The console market has dramatically shrunk, which is what I said the first time, and we can see the evidence for that in the fact that the combined sales of the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U are nowhere near that of the previous generation. The graph you use above shows this truth via the Switch, which is counted as a home console, but actually cannibalised the handheld market to do so.

To add to this further, it has also declined in relative terms (see the growth of PC and online above), and even the initial appearance of stable revenues hides two things: inflation, and costs. Inflation adds raw numbers to the revenue figures, and costs mean that getting the same amount of revenue back is actually getting less profit back. Development costs are higher than ever - why do you think so many of those mid-tier publishers that used to pump out game for the PS1/2 (for example), have disappeared? They either got bought out or went under, because after the Wii's initial boom, the last of them could no longer afford to make games on thinning profit margins. The last ones left are on PC (eg. Paradox). All of this comes from your above graph.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back