Resource The NMFC History thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Evidence that the club was referred to as Albert Park cum North Melbourne in 1876.
From The Illustrated Australian News 12 June 1876:

"Football has now fairly commenced, and the first match of consequence was played on the 27th of May, between the Melbourne club and Albert Park, cum North Melbourne; the latter winning, having obtained the only goal kicked during the afternoon. "

http://nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/60094231

I don't believe the term was widely used. The team is usually referred to as simply Albert Park in most match reports that year.

Righto TT.:thumbsu:

Hows the picture of the old bloke? Amazing.

Anyway, moving on, The first North Grog Squad circa 1899: "The Crutchy Push"

I always thought the Crutchies were a later phenomenon: guys who'd been wounded in WWI who formed gangs. Handy with blades according to local legend.

Perhaps they were just using a long running local gang name?

I always thought the Crutchies were a later phenomenon: guys who'd been wounded in WWI who formed gangs. Handy with blades according to local legend.

Perhaps they were just using a long running local gang name?

I believe "The Coffin Push" were the first notorious crew that followed North back in the late 1880's/early 1890's, and then "The Crutchy Push" appeared on the scene. Perhaps they were Boer War soldiers? My guess is that they were just another bunch of poor downtrodden types from the working class of the Victorian era.

You're a writer aren't you? A "Gangs of New York" style history of Melbourne, based around the turn of the century, would be interesting reading. You should team up with TOD, research this, and write about it.

The gullible masses already lap up the "Underbelly" crap, so the market for this stuff is already there.

Here is the earliest report I can find on a North match from August 14 1869

The return match between th North Melbourne Football Club, and th employées of Messrs. Walker, May, and Co. will be played on the reserve near Prince's-bridge The game to commence at three o'clock sharp. The North Melbourne team will consist of the following :-Alcock, Cook, T. Croche Dargie, Fuhrhop (captain), Gillman, A. Johr son, Knowles, M'Innes, M'Gibbon, M'lndoi Percy, Raper, Ryemill, Robertson, Rothwel Saunders, Voake, Whitelaw, and C. Youni

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/art...rm=North Melbourne Football Club#pstart225150

A match report from October 1 1870:

The North Melbourne Football Club concluded their season on Saturday by a match with the East Brunswick Club, in which they were victorious, securing one goal, which was kicked by Dobson.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/art...rm=North Melbourne Football Club#pstart228728

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A great picture of the late, great Les Foote being chaired off the ground after North steamed home to roll Geelong in the 1950 preliminary final and book a place in the clubs 1st grand final:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/art...erm="Les Foote North Melbourne"&searchLimits=

Back in those days and right up until the city loop stations were opened, there was only one railway station in Melbourne of any significance to the locals - Flinders Street. At morning peak hour a sea of commuters would emerge from Flinders St and head north down Swanston St. At night they would all return to Flinders St.

My late Dad told me that Les Foote used to practise his dodging and weaving skills (for which he was famous) by running through the commuters against the tide.

Don't know if it's true but it's a good story from a simpler time.

Below is the first part of a story I have typed out from 'Australian football action' 1982 issue 7, i'll eat my tea and then type out the second bit
Hope it makes sense because my scanner isn't working I decided to type it out word for word, apart from shortening North Melbourne to just North, Hope you like.

Howard Leigh is the journo.

Bob Ansett is one of television's most exposed people.
In fact, the trimly built American educated business tycoon has become a bit of a cult figure. The television medium is a major outlet for Ansett and his company, Budget rent a car and its bid to improve the lot of the motoring public. Mingled with the Budget business, is Ansett's posts as chairman of the North Melbourne board of management and a major sponsor of the Roos.
Ansett, 48, took on the position in 1979 when Lloyd Holyoak stepped down.
"I had been at North for 8 years as a gold pass member, after my company moved to the area in 1970" Ansett said. "Albert Mantello invited me down to meet a group, headed by Allen Aylett, and other people establishing a new North Melbourne. When I took over as chairman, I re-established the articles of association and re -established the committee system. It is in line with the management that Collingwood is now talking about."

These days North has a management team of 26 full time staff, headed by General Manager, Ron Joseph, marketing manager, Barry Cheatley, social club mgr, Robert Smith, and secretary John Dugdale. Ansett said that the admin reports to the board of which he is Chairman.
"It is not as though I am deeply involved in the football admin" Ansett said.
Ansett doesn't see his role as chairman of the board as a long term proposition, certainly not more than 5 years. Part of Ansett's brief has been a $22 million development of the Arden st ground, which woulkd make it the most modern VFL ground in the league by mid 1984.
North recently won support from the City of Melbourne for the project, which is the first step in the program.
Ansett said that the $22 million would take in covering of nearby railway yards for car parking and installation of more than 40 000 covered seats at the ground. The North concept follows the recently announced $7 million reconstruction projects at Essendon's Windy Hill and Collingwood's Vic Park.
"The redevelopment has some appealing aspects but it is a very expensive exercise and massive for any club to undertake", Ansett said.
Ansett discounts the VFL rationalisation plans that suggest the Arden st ground be phased out as a league ground.
"There are a lot of holes in the League's rationalisation plan and we, as a club, didn't take it's attitude into account, It has nothing to do with the league and, if we go ahead, it will be on our own and the costs involved will be raised by us."
Earlier this year, Ansett became embroiled in a plan to adopt a system of interchange field umpires. The plan was evolved after a North and Melb match at Areden st when coach, Barry Cable had to be restrained from talking to field umpires, Tony Bryant and John Morgan at 3 quarter time and Ansett spoke out on the issue after the game.
"We at North had been concerned for quite a while about the quality of umpiring and it came to a head in that game, It is important to get the thing in the right perspective. It came back to the enormous effort put into producing a succesful football team. A lot of money is invested and there is too much at stake in the 120 minutes of football each Saturday afternoon. We know players have an off day and they get pulled off and umpires are no different. I don't suggest an ump be pulled off during a quarter, because the crowd would go wild, but, at quarter and half time breaks, when they could be replaced by any one of 4 interchange umpires. The umpires board could have an advisor at each ground, who could work out who has to come off and on."
Ansett said costs associated with such a project would be minimal, compared with the outlay to field a football club each match day. The North chairman recently forwarded a letter detailing his proposal to headquarters but, so far, has not recived a reply.
Ansett doesn't believe that North Melbourne's appetite for success has diminished since the halcyon days of Ron Barassi and the 1975 and 1977 premierships.
"The phenomenal success of the 1970's is hard to maintain" Ansett said One can't expect that level to continue because every club is trying to do the same thing. Our major criterion is to keep North competitive on the field and in the five at the end of the year. You can't call our situation a malaise because we are still setting out to do the things we planned."
Ansett acknowledges that North's recruiting roots are the most productive in the league, with 15 interstate players currently on the list.
"Now, with drafting, we have to readjust our thinking and go back to working harder in our zones, preparing youngsters to match type situation." Ansett said.
Ansett said that coach Barry Cable, has played a major part this year in re-establishing North as a football force in 1982.
"Everyone is aware of the severe injury Cable sustained and youy have to admire his courageous attitude,I know barry did an enormous job with North this yearand he helped bring along a number of key players - particularly good players, who needed having their football confidence lifted, like , Stephen McCann, who has had his best year with North, and Ross Glendinning, who Barry nurtured and, as a consequence, delivered to the best of his ability. I believe Cable will continue to improve as a coach - after all he has only been in the job for a little over a season."
Ansett said he had read that Cable's coaching agreement with North was a very casual one.
"We will sit down at the end of the year and re-assess the situation with him," he said.
Ansett said he had read that Cable could be thinking of returning to WA next year but had hear nothing about the matter from Barry himself.
"He has never mentioned it to me and I am not aware of it, although I would have to say WA is Barry's real home, there is no doubt he wouldn't want to stay in Melbourne indefinitely."
Ansett said that he had not spoken to ex-Collingwood coach, Tom Hafey, about taking over the Roos in 1983.
"I read an article in the National Times earlier this year saying that North had asked Hafey to coach North,"Ansett said.
"That story was true in essence but a bit out of perspective in relation to time. I spoke to Tom just before we appointed Blight as coach at the end of the 1980 season after Barassi stated he was going back to Melbourne.
"Other than that, I only speak to Hafey when he comes to pick up his daughter Rhonda from my Budget office where she works."
Corporate sponsorship is the main input that keeps VFL clubs afloat and Ansett's Budget company has been North's chief fund provider for the past two years.
"We originally had Tooth LA as a major sponsor until it recently folded, my company stepped in and filled the breach at the time, although I am not prepared to say how much we have given North over the past two seasons."
Ansett said North is still talking to major business organisations about sponsorship for next season and the club wouldn't be making an announcement on this subject for the time being.
Budget employs North footballers, David Dench and Ross Glendinning, and previously Kevin Bryant worked with the company. Ansett said all three players had been good members of his Budget team but he would have to look closely at employing footballers in the future.
Helping keep the Ansett name flying at Budget is his daughter , Sherrie, who is Bob's personal secretary and is engaged to Melbourne's Brent Crosswell.
Ansett is part of a consortium of VFL presidents and chairmen, who have met several times this year to discuss mutual problems. The North chairman hosted a luncheon on August 16, at his Budget offices, when VFL president, Dr Allen Aylett, and general manager, Jack Hamilton, sat in on proceedings.
"Our meetings have been on an informal basis without an official agenda, the meetings also give us a better opportunity of getting to know each other a little better away from the pressure of home and away games."
Ansett said the presidents have covered such ground as player payments, national expansion and preparing a brief to put to the VFL asking for $3 million worth of aid.
"At an opportune time, we hope to create a blueprint, working towards what football should be 10 years from now."

Back in those days and right up until the city loop stations were opened, there was only one railway station in Melbourne of any significance to the locals - Flinders Street. At morning peak hour a sea of commuters would emerge from Flinders St and head north down Swanston St. At night they would all return to Flinders St.

My late Dad told me that Les Foote used to practise his dodging and weaving skills (for which he was famous) by running through the commuters against the tide.

Don't know if it's true but it's a good story from a simpler time.

This was confirmed by John Dugdale in an article.

Les made his VFL debut as a 16 year old kid.

He was an absolute GUN, according to the old timers.

Les leading the side out in the 1950 grand final.
foote.jpg

^^^Thanks. You're never completely sure when the old man is telling you stories.

Here's another slice of history about the Invincibles from today's VFL Grand Final match report on the VFL website. Port were absolutely magnificent by the way.

Games played at Etihad Stadium (ROOF CLOSED) CROWD 11859

VFL GRAND FINAL
Port Melbourne 2.0 9.7 15.10 22.12(144)
Williamstown 5.3 6.4 12.7 13.8 ( 86)

NORM GOSS MEDALLIST: Toby Pinwill (Port Melbourne)

Port Melbourne's 1st premiership since 1982. Only 2nd team to go through VFA/VFL season winning every game(21-0). North Melbourne did it twice in 1915(14-0) and 1918(12-0).

They didn't call them "The Invincibles" for nothing mate.:thumbsu:

56 straight games on the trot and we also beat the only VFL team that had the guts to play us during that period.

Side note: North also went undefeated through 1919 home and away season finishing 18-0 with a whopping 230 percentage points, before losing the semi final to Brunswick, then losing the grand final to Footscray.

Well done to all that have contributed to this fantastic thread. I just wish the world would understand what us North boys/girsl already know- we're the greatest ****en club in the universe!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back