Remove this Banner Ad

Groucho

Premium Platinum
Jun 12, 2000
Gasometer wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Arden Street Memories:

From the Museum of Victoria collection showing Arden Street when it was used a dog racing track.

View attachment 881748
Is the caller Clem Dimsey? They had the dog track between’57 and ‘62. I definitely saw a game there with the track there. Don’t remember too much about it but seem to recall a player jumping the fence to retrieve a ball from the track

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is the caller Clem Dimsey? They had the dog track between’57 and ‘62. I definitely saw a game there with the track there. Don’t remember too much about it but seem to recall a player jumping the fence to retrieve a ball from the track

Yes I remember watching several games sitting or standing on the sand of the dog track. Sometimes a few kids would decide to play end-to-end on the track during the game much to the annoyance of spectators.

Whippet1

Senior List
Jul 3, 2006
Northcote
AFL Club
North Melbourne
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2shYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=epMDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5976,4950969

and here's the match report retrieved from The Age(hope the link works). Bit before my time but I can remember seeing some of these players. There's a lot of big names here which makes me wonder why the early 70's were so poor for North. I note in 1969 we went 8/12 after winning our first four games under Keith McKenzie. Just a quick look at some of the names:

Kekovich - great talent. 75 flag
Dugdale - legend of the club
Gary Farrant - 75 flag
Doug Farrant - (kicked 6 here in what would have been one of his better games for North. Kicked 40:36 in 69. Traded to Perth as part of the Cable deal
Robbe Peterson - 1974 Grand Final player
Goodingham - 1975 flag
Daryl O'Brien - my old tennis doubles partner
Peter Chisnall - 1975 flag
Peter Steward - Big V rep
Pagan - self - explanatory. Nuggety back pocket in his day.
Tom Allison - father of Brett
Laurie Dwyer - Bigfooty legendary contributor(hi Twinkletoes)

And a D. Cometti in the West Perth team. Along with Farmer of course.

big_e

Premium Platinum
Apr 28, 2008
Your Wi-Fi
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2shYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=epMDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5976,4950969

and here's the match report retrieved from The Age(hope the link works). Bit before my time but I can remember seeing some of these players. There's a lot of big names here which makes me wonder why the early 70's were so poor for North. I note in 1969 we went 8/12 after winning our first four games under Keith McKenzie. Just a quick look at some of the names:

Gary Farrant - 75 flag
Doug Farrant - (kicked 6 here in what would have been one of his better games for North. Kicked 40:36 in 69. Traded to Perth as part of the Cable deal
Goodingham - 1975 flag

Nice find.

Hojuman

첫 번째 남자 대 남자
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Gary Farrant - 75 flag
Goodingham - 1975 flag

Chisnall & G. Farrant both left and Barrassi got them back yeh ?

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Chisnall & G. Farrant both left and Barrassi got them back yeh ?

Chisnall came back to North in 1974 after crossing to Sandringham without a clearance in 1971. The Farrant brothers went home to Cohuna in 1971 but were coaxed back in 1973 to play under Barassi. Doug Farrant went to WA after 1973 and missed playing with his brother Gary in the 1975 premiership. However he played in two premiership sides for Perth. He was part of the deal to get Cable back in 1974 along with three other players.

Hojuman

첫 번째 남자 대 남자
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Chisnall came back to North in 1974 after crossing to Sandringham without a clearance in 1971. The Farrant brothers went home to Cohuna in 1971 but were coaxed back in 1973 to play under Barassi. Doug Farrant went to WA after 1973 and missed playing with his brother Gary in the 1975 premiership. However he played in two premiership sides for Perth. He was part of the deal to get Cable back in 1974 along with three other players.

👍 The other three ? My two favs. growing up Micky Dowdle & Redenbach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jimandphilbadge

All Australian
Oct 6, 2012
Purgatory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Ogopogo Dragons
Been meaning to post this for a while. Got this in about 86 or 87. Some of the names on here are Romero, Law, Schimma, Krakouer, Martyn, Larkin. A lot have faded. I'll try and get the high quality camera out this week and get better shots.

Attachments

Top Bottom