Resource The NMFC History thread

May 2, 2001
Melbourne Vic Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Thought there was something eerily familiar with last weeks score - 14-14-98 to 11-4-70.

Flashback to the below game - Rd 1 1973 at Arden St versus the same team. First game under Barassi and the first game I ever attended.

upload_2018-4-24_15-59-17.png

Bertie22

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought there was something eerily familiar with last weeks score - 14-14-98 to 11-4-70.

Flashback to the below game - Rd 1 1973 at Arden St versus the same team. First game under Barassi and the first game I ever attended.

View attachment 487536
Good get. I remember this game well. Doug Wade kicked a monster torp from the HFF right through the middle. Almost brought down the Grandstand!

Whippet1

Senior List
Jul 3, 2006
Northcote
AFL Club
North Melbourne

View attachment 487536
I remember that game. The 14:14 scoreline did strike me as well for some reason. We were coming off a one win season in 1972 which was the first year my parents started taking me. Exciting times ahead.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
BARASSI-TUDDY WRESTLE, 1973

An otherwise mundane clash between North Melbourne and Essendon at Arden Street turned into a clash between two coaches just after the quarter-time break. Kangaroos coach Ron Barassi was walked off the ground after his address when he came across Essendon’s captain-coach Des Tuddenham was headed back to his position. As the Herald described it: “They argued, pushed each other and struggled ... players from both sides rushed in as the two grappled.” Barassi later recalled: “Tuddy got to within of me and I verbally gave it to him. He kept coming at me and ended up tearing a button off my blazer.”

f9201daf8be14040771608dd5dea559e

Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong

An otherwise mundane clash between North Melbourne and Essendon at Arden Street turned into a clash between two coaches just after the quarter-time break. Kangaroos coach Ron Barassi was walked off the ground after his address when he came across Essendon’s captain-coach Des Tuddenham was headed back to his position. As the Herald described it: “They argued, pushed each other and struggled ... players from both sides rushed in as the two grappled.” Barassi later recalled: “Tuddy got to within of me and I verbally gave it to him. He kept coming at me and ended up tearing a button off my blazer.”

and here are The Age articles about the clash and the match itself:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=pNtUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zZADAAAAIBAJ&pg=6323,1543735

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=o9tUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zZADAAAAIBAJ&pg=6798,1531065

May 2, 2001
Melbourne Vic Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Good get SB - I can still remember being at this game as a 7 year old sitting on the seats in front of the old social club - there were officials and trainers and players coming from everywhere after they had the push and shove. I thought how good is this - even the coaches get into blues.

Two interesting points - I had vision of most of the last quarter of this game from Fox footy which showed the Channel 2 coverage - somehow I think I've misplaced it as I'd love to load it for people to see. Secondly if Graham Moss hadnt kicked a goal in the last minute for Essendon to win by a kick North would have boasted wins against all 5 finals teams from that year and the year before (1972/73 - Richmond Carlton Collingwood St Kilda Essendon).

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Here's another picture of the same thing. This shows many more players surrounding the two coaches. There's Goodingham, Dench, G. Farrant and Montgomery. Not sure who the player on the far right side on is. Maybe Burns. I was at that game too. North should have won.

08 07 (Age) picture.jpg

Last edited:
May 2, 2001
Melbourne Vic Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Here's another picture of the same thing. This shows many more players surrounding the two coaches. There's Goodingham, Dench, G. Farrant and Montgomery. Not sure who the player on the far right side on is. Maybe Burns.

View attachment 508310
Yep just as I remember - the North player I think is Schimma - you can see the 2 on his jumper. Although it could be Doug Wade - its hard to tell.

Last edited:
May 2, 2001
Melbourne Vic Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Another incident from the same match with Tuddenham in the thick of it again.

View attachment 508312
Nope - thats Ken Fletcher on the ground and Montgomerys number is different to the 73 game - its either 71 or 72 as Keith Greig is in the photo. Pretty certain thats Andy Wilson to the right of the umpire in the middle and he only played in the 72 game so pretty sure its that one.

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nope - thats Ken Fletcher on the ground and Montgomerys number is different to the 73 game - its either 71 or 72 as Keith Greig is in the photo. Pretty certain thats Andy Wilson to the right of the umpire in the middle and he only played in the 72 game so pretty sure its that one.

Yes I stand corrected. I had the photo in the wrong folder. But Montgomery wore number 12 from 1970 to 1981.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
. Not sure who the player on the far right side on is. Maybe Burns. I was at that game too. North should have won.

That's Denis Pagan mate.

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
Waiting for Lindsay Thomas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
Don't know if this has been posted before- sorry if so. Highlights of the 77 pre lim North V hawks, we were rank outsiders.

Points of interest.... 2.55 Cable's handball :eek: ( could play today)

The commentators bagging players- would not happen now.

The main point is how open the game was, I had forgotten, high marks, plenty of dash. A shadow of it's former self is footy in 2018. The younger crew of course don't know what they've missed.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Don't know if this has been posted before- sorry if so. Highlights of the 77 pre lim North V hawks, we were rank outsiders.

The main point is how open the game was, I had forgotten, high marks, plenty of dash. A shadow of it's former self is footy in 2018. The younger crew of course don't know what they've missed.

I’d love to get hold of a full replay of this one as well as the 1st semi against Richmond.

May 2, 2001
Melbourne Vic Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I’d love to get hold of a full replay of this one as well as the 1st semi against Richmond.

Good luck - I'm in a group of collectors who swap vision on a regular basis. This is the only vision I know of from Ch 7 of the 77 Prelim. There is none around of the First Semi. I know I've asked Ch 7 on behalf of the bloke at 2.55 doing the handball as he is good friends with a guy I go to the footy with and has been looking for copies. The only other vision I have of both these games is from the ch 2 coverage. I think about 5 minutes in total from an old Fox Footy compilation a few years back. Ill see if I can upload it.

For whatever reason I have seen vision of lots of North finals from the 70's but Ch7 either wont release them or has lost or damaged footage.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Good luck - I'm in a group of collectors who swap vision on a regular basis. This is the only vision I know of from Ch 7 of the 77 Prelim. There is none around of the First Semi. I know I've asked Ch 7 on behalf of the bloke at 2.55 doing the handball as he is good friends with a guy I go to the footy with and has been looking for copies. The only other vision I have of both these games is from the ch 2 coverage. I think about 5 minutes in total from an old Fox Footy compilation a few years back. Ill see if I can upload it.

For whatever reason I have seen vision of lots of North finals from the 70's but Ch7 either wont release them or has lost or damaged footage.

It’s a shame there’s seemingly no footage available. There’s plenty of vision from 78 on YouTube, even 76. 77 seems to have fallen through the gaps.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Funny N.N. I was watching this Friday. Our greatest final win ever in my mind. After the first semi final pasting from them in the wet at the ' G with Robbie Smith at full forward l gave us no chance. Then their famous 2nd semi v Coll. & Carman reported l trekked to Waverly with little hope.But they never looked likely all day. If Baker hadda kicked straight. 2.6 and 2 out on the full. Memory correct they only kicked 2 goals after 1/4 time.

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
Waiting for Lindsay Thomas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
Funny N.N. I was watching this Friday. Our greatest final win ever in my mind. After the first semi final pasting from them in the wet at the ' G with Robbie Smith at full forward l gave us no chance. Then their famous 2nd semi v Coll. & Carman reported l trekked to Waverly with little hope.But they never looked likely all day. If Baker hadda kicked straight. 2.6 and 2 out on the full. Memory correct they only kicked 2 goals after 1/4 time.

Onya for going I didn't and cannot remember why as I was 9 yrs old lol, grew up a stones throw from VFL Park and we went to most finals. I do recall us having no chance and so I spent the day with a non footy following mate. I had enough and ventured home last in the last grabbed my trusty AM wireless and tuned in...... the commentators were going sick, another goal..... can't believe this is happening, banged on for what was the longest ten seconds of my life and then they finally read out the score, I near passed out!

A great memory and one I'll take to the grave.

Back