Resource The NMFC History thread

D3C2l9eUkAE2kiB.jpg:large

Got some interesting news from a family member the other day.

Will thrash it out properly in due course, but turns out that the house that my grandparents bought in O'Shanassy Street back in the day after heading into town from the farm (have written about it in the blog) was in fact purchased off Jim Quilligan and his wife.

Quilligan was in fact a North player in the VFA days around the turn of the century (match listing here):

http://www.thevfaproject.org/pages/Games/VFA1900-R10-G03.php

His wife was a McNamara from Runneymede which explains the original connection to my mob, both geographically and genetically (McNamara cousins galore from up that way).

Pretty cool.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Round 10, 1983.

Some footage from a game where North inflicts the greatest belting Carlton has experienced in it's 120 year existence by 111 points at Arden Street. It was also North's highest ever score at the time. Carlton were also the reigning premiers at the start of the 1983 season.

The record stood for 32 years until it was surpassed in 2015.

Edit: The second quarter of that match

Last edited:
Round 10, 1983.

Some footage from a game where North inflicts the greatest belting Carlton has experienced in it's 120 year existence by 111 points at Arden Street. It was also North's highest ever score at the time. Carlton were also the reigning premiers at the start of the 1983 season.

A young Ian Fairly?

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Round 10, 1983.

Yep North had plenty of fire that day, including a real one at a factory next to the ground which sent smoke billowing over the area. Dempsey and Glendinning were North's best, and McCann got 6--one of 13 individual goalkickers.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yep North had plenty of fire that day, including a real one at a factory next to the ground which sent smoke billowing over the area. Dempsey and Glendinning were North's best, and McCann got 6--one of 13 individual goalkickers.

Over by the old wool stores.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Round 3, 1979

Malcolm Blight kicks 7 at Arden Street as North storms home against Collingwood, kicking 9.5 in the last quarter and turning a 10 point 3/4 time deficit in to a 28 point victory.

A friend has loaned me a copy of her Great Grandmothers The North Story from 1973. Inside there is a newspaper clipping from The Age dated 4/6/1971. The pic from 1903 has Alf Woodham who was her Great Great Grandfather. Interesting read - some info on The Crutchy Push!

1616_001.jpg

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Don't know if anyone is following this Twitter account (you should, it's the only thing bringing me hope this season).

It shows the Round 9, 1999 games starting at 11pm AEST, and that start time is also shown on AFL Tables and australianfootball.com. Which makes it starting at 9pm, Perth time. And knowing what I know about the locals of Subiaco, I strongly doubt it.

Anyone have any better records, like a Footy Record or something from the time to confirm?

Don't know if anyone is following this Twitter account (you should, it's the only thing bringing me hope this season).

It shows the Round 9, 1999 games starting at 11pm AEST, and that start time is also shown on AFL Tables and australianfootball.com. Which makes it starting at 9pm, Perth time. And knowing what I know about the locals of Subiaco, I strongly doubt it.

Anyone have any better records, like a Footy Record or something from the time to confirm?

I think that’s the Freo game I travelled over for. The one where Arch was fined $20k for his mobile phone ringing (and his subsequent argument with the over zealous twat of a flight steward) on the return Ansett flight.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
I think that’s the Freo game I travelled over for. The one where Arch was fined $20k for his mobile phone ringing (and his subsequent argument with the over zealous twat of a flight steward) on the return Ansett flight.
Don't remember the game finishing at midnight, by any chance?

RIP Ansett.

Believe this handle has been conceived and managed by Mitch Jones, hence a pseudo official club line of media.

Love it.

Don't remember the game finishing at midnight, by any chance?

RIP Ansett.

It certainly didn't finish at midnight Perth time, but it was definitely a night game so likely a midnight finish Eastern Standard Time.

Back