kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1949 (CONT...)

ROUND 16 MELBOURNE

North had another narrow escape at Arden Street when they came from behind to win by one straight kick. It was 3rd v 4th with a win vital for both sides. North regained Radloff, Dynon and McKenzie with L. Reeves coming back from suspension. Crawford also came into the team for only his second game of the season. He came on at halftime replacing Jarrard, giving North a bit more weight and opposition to the Melbourne rucks. This proved the turning point. After trailing all day, North came home strongly and took the lead in the last quarter. Then, with the scores level, Foote scored a goal just before the bell. Radloff was again vital in the centre as was Robb and Marchesi. Foote, as usual was everywhere. The Argus reported that it was North’s best and most deserving win so far. The downside was that Melbourne’s defeat saw them drop out of the four and allowed Essendon in.

North Melbourne 9.10-64 d Melbourne 8.10-58

ROUND 17 HAWTHORN

North suffered a shock 18 point loss to bottom team Hawthorn at Glenferrie. It was Only Hawthorn’s third win for the year. North had thwarted them in their 1943 attempt to make the four for the first time by beating them in the last round that year. This was Hawthorn’s revenge. Fortunately North dropped only one spot to third, Collingwood also losing. North were beaten for pace, in the air and Foote and Spencer were closely shadowed.

Hawthorn 13.10-88 d North Melbourne 9.16-70

ROUND 18 GEELONG

Larsen and Parkes were added to North’s injury list. They were finished for the season. But Kelly and Dynon returned. North’s new signing, Bob Brooker, was brought in for his first game to strengthen the ruck. Spencer was a late withdrawal from the side. Emergency Kokkin came in and the team positions had to be shuffled with Condon playing full forward.
A strong cross wind at the Geelong ground and a greasy ball made scoring difficult with many easy shots missed. North took time to settle and trailed by 18 points at halftime. A vital move in putting McKenzie in the centre and Radloff on the wing changed the whole complexion of the game. North slammed on eight goals in the third quarter (out of a total of eleven) to take control, going on to win by 26 points. New player Brooker was best on the ground. Collingwood, Carlton and North were locked together on 52 points at the top of the ladder. The last round would decide who would get the double chance.

North Melbourne 11.16-82 d Geelong 7.14-56

ROUND 19 CARLTON

Spencer was back in the side for North. Hedley and Crawford were omitted and Baglin joined Kokkin on the bench. A record crowd of 35,000 squeezed into Arden Street. The previous record was 33,000 in 1911 when Essendon A played Brunswick in the VFA Grand Final. North routed Carlton in fine style with a withering burst in the third quarter when they scored 6.2 to 0.3, Carlton managing only two goals in the second half to North’s ten. North won in most positions including the ruck, and the half forward line of Dynon, Foote and Marchesi was destructive. Spencer was far too good for Carlton full-back Grieve and kicked eight goals, missing several easy shots. It was a day to savour for North supporters and inspired confidence in their winning their first premiership. They would meet Carlton again in the second semi-final in two weeks as the win propelled them to outright first. Collingwood, finishing the season badly, lost to lowly StKilda and would meet Essendon in the first semi-final. Had Carlton not scored two late goals they would have dropped to third, and North would have faced off to Collingwood in the second semi—and probably won.
North Melbourne 15.18-108 d Carlton 7.10-52

NEXT---THE HEARTBREAK

Last edited:
Wasn't sure where to put this. But just watched wayback Wednesday on our site of the 96 Preliminary Final there was a bit in the 3rd when Sholly snapped a goal , oh my * we were good then. We can only dream our current side doing that .

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1949 (CONCLUDED)

Second Semi Final CARLTON

Extremely confident, North announced an unchanged lineup for its second ever finals match, but in fact omitted Kokkin and Baglin and started with Larsen and Jarrard on the bench. These two had come back from injury and would bolster North’s ruck. Nerves had played a part in North’s first finals match in 1945, and would do so again only not so badly. Only five players had previous finals experience—Foote, Dynon, Condon, Malone and Francis. Carlton were far more experienced and had brought back J. Howell, their No.1 ruckman who had not played since June. Also the match was at the MCG, not Arden St. where North had been almost invincible all year. It was a different Carlton team from the one that had been soundly beaten two weeks ago. Players who had been down on form then were now dominant.

When the match began North players were nervy and unsettled, mishandling the ball and doing everything wrong. But they settled down as the game went on and actually took the lead in the second quarter and held it until three quarter time. But the confidence and dash of Round 19 was lacking. The half forward line that had been so dominant was beaten. Foote and Dynon were subdued by their opponents although Marchesi did some nice things. Too many players just slammed the ball forward trusting it would get to a teammate (Sound familiar?) Carlton’s gamble in playing Howell paid off and he dominated the ruck. Carlton also won in the centre. North’s half back line kept them in the game until three quarter time. Spencer again had the better of Grieve but kicked only six goals this time. North also spoiled their chances by using scragging and hard bumping tactics in the last quarter when they still had a chance to win.
North would now have to face Essendon, who had defeated Collingwood in the first semi final the previous week.

Carlton 15.13-103 d North Melbourne 14.7-91

Preliminary Final ESSENDON

Still confident despite their loss to Carlton, North shuffled the side by making Malone, who had played in the back pocket for most of the year, first rover at the expense of Robb. Kelly went to back pocket allowing Jarrard to play at half back. Larsen lost his place to Crawford who started on the bench with Kokkin.

Once again North let themselves down with wild kicking and no attack plan. Their general play was equal to and at times better than Esendon’s. After the first half, in which Essendon had a nineteen point lead, North made some positional changes. Marchesi went into the centre and Radloff to half forward. Essendon’s centre line, which had been well on top, now began to falter. Foote went into the ruck to try and lift his side and Lineen to centre half forward. The lead was cut to twelve points by three quarter time. For the last quarter Crawford came on for Brooker, who had not played well. This provided a greater challenge to the Essendon ruckman McClure, who had been on top all day. Spencer got North within three points with a magnificent sixty yard goal. Soon after Essendon had replied, a controversial decision by the umpire disallowed a mark to Spencer right in front on the grounds that he had put his foot into the back of his opponent. Condon goaled shortly afterward for North, but the last few minutes of the game cost North victory when Essendon played an extra man in defence and Spencer had to contend with two opponents. Essendon got two goals in time on to seal the match.
Foote and Dynon had tried hard all day for North, regaining their form after the previous week’s disappointment. Jarrard had been impassable in defence and McCorkell again kept Coleman in check restricting him to three goals. Marchesi and Malone also played well.

Essendon 11.12-78 d North Melbourne 9.7-61

It was a disappointing end to the season after finishing on top of the ladder. North were yet to win a finals match. Still this had been their most successful season to date. They headed the ladder for the first time ever and had won fourteen matches—their highest ever for a season. They would make another serious attempt at the flag the following year.

Last edited:

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Found my old scrap books today with old newspaper clippings. Here are some memories:

1975 GF Barassi-chisnall-Cable-Farrant.jpg

1975 GF Blight mark.jpg

1975 GF Crosswell.jpg

1975 GF M Blight.jpg

All from the 1975 grand Final. Will put some more on soon.

Attachments

• 1975 GF Action shot.jpg
    1975 GF Action shot.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
Early 80s, especially 1983, was when I really started to understand footy more as a youngster , great memories. I do recall in 84 that for a week I was going to follow Carlton :eek:. Then we thrashed the league leaders Hawthorn I think, and we had hardly won game for the year.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Superb stuff again K7. You are a treasure to this place.

Don't let anyone tell you that Kanga Kennedy was just a Hawthorn man. He absolutely loved North and publicly stated as much:

1597818154459.png

There's some great memories there.

Thanks again kangaroo7. As Snake said so well, you're a treasure to this board.

i remember as a kid getting all my school books and folders before the start of each school year and having all my clippings from The Sun ready to go. I'd have them all cut out and ready to adorn the pristine blank canvas that was the school folder. All that was needed was for the contact to go over the top and enshrine my heroes for the next 12 months. It was probably the most exciting thing I had when it came to actually looking forward to something about a new school year, covering those binders of wasted talent and teenage frustration with the Gods of my childhood. (Well that a new pair of Bata's of course with your complimentary compass.)

I distinctly remember having that cut out of Phil with his arms rasied in the air plastered on the front of my English folder. Another one was of Ross Glendinning in full flight plastered to the back of that same folder.

Great memories.

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's some great memories there.

Thanks again kangaroo7. As Snake said so well, you're a treasure to this board.

i remember as a kid getting all my school books and folders before the start of each school year and having all my clippings from The Sun ready to go. I'd have them all cut out and ready to adorn the pristine blank canvas that was the school folder. All that was needed was for the contact to go over the top and enshrine my heroes for the next 12 months. It was probably the most exciting thing I had when it came to actually looking forward to something about a new school year, covering those binders of wasted talent and teenage frustration with the Gods of my childhood. (Well that a new pair of Bata's of course with your complimentary compass.)

I distinctly remember having that cut out of Phil with his arms rasied in the air plastered on the front of my English folder. Another one was of Ross Glendinning in full flight plastered to the back of that same folder.

Great memories.

Thanks Snake and Grogg. I only wish my collection was more complete. Some years I didn't bother. Do you still have any of yours Grogg? I remember the Bata Scouts with the compass in the sole. Never owned a pair but I remember them.

Thanks Snake and Grogg. I only wish my collection was more complete. Some years I didn't bother. Do you still have any of yours Grogg? I remember the Bata Scouts with the compass in the sole. Never owned a pair but I remember them.
Nah , sadly that school stuff was misplaced years ago after a number of house moves.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

You're a bloody marvel mate.

We have some truly great contributors here, but in my mind, you're always number 1.

I just hope the younguns spend time in here learning about the club and how it became what it did.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I reckon I do have a very old crumpled up newspaper copy of the hiding we gave Melbourne in 1990 somewhere. I remember it was a two page spread freaking out about how we had just obliterated a side that had played in the previous years grand final by 127 points with Longmire breaking the club record (14 goals). I will hunt it up.

I remember sitting up on the wooden seats in the old Northern stand with a local bloke from North, and we couldn't believe what we were seeing.

The average age of this side was ~22.5 years of age and contained 3, count 3, blokes who had played more than 100 games.

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon I do have a very old crumpled up newspaper copy of the hiding we gave Melbourne in 1990 somewhere. I remember it was a two page spread freaking out about how we had just obliterated a side that had played in the previous years grand final by 127 points with Longmire breaking the club record (14 goals). I will hunt it up.

I remember sitting up on the wooden seats in the old Northern stand with a local bloke from North, and we couldn't believe what we were seeing.

The average age of this side was ~22.5 years of age and contained 3, count 3, blokes who had played more than 100 games.

1990 07 08 (Age) Match details.jpg

Longmire (1).jpg

A most satisfying win, considering they beat us by 53 points in Round 1 that year--a 180 point turnaraound. Ironically Longmire played full-back in Round 1 against Darren Bennett, who kicked 8. He would get only 2 in the return game against Martyn to Longmire's 14 on four different opponents, including Bennett. It was a record score for North against Melbourne at the time their second double century score for the season.

Last edited:
Back